Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping there are doberman owners with sedans out there.

I am picking up the puppy this weekend and still don't know what car crate to get. I want to buy one that I can use when she grows up also. Is there a decent size that I can buy which will fit in my car? I just have a normal size Sedan. I really don't want to go back to a jeep or truck if I can avoid it(called Petco and few places, but reps were clueless).

Suggestions?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good luck...IMO you'll need 2 or 3 crates to properly crate train your pup, and by the time he/she is an adult I'm betting you won't find a crate that will fit in a car. Hell..ours barely fits in the trailblazer, lol. I'd start off with a smaller one and just buy another as your pup grows out of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I don't hear from anyone, I might just have to buy something small for nowand possibly get a truck towards the end of summer.

Thanks for the bad news!!

Thank you . Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yep, sounds like you need a bigger vehicle. Kyrah's 42" crate barely fits in the back of my honda pilot. Then I cant use it there b/c I really need one with 2 doors for it to work right.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
We have a Buick Lacrosse and I can get a 300 (32 x 22 x 24) in the back seat assembled -- slides right in. I can get a 400 (36 x 24 x 27) in the back seat, if I take it apart and put it back together once I get it through the door. I transport birds in Crates, which is how I know what I can get in the car.

I suppose a 400 might be okay for a smaller female. I use a 550 for Wheeler (and of course we don't take the car :).

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Practically everyone I know with big dogs gets custom made barriers for inside their cars, you can't take them out like crates though...

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Are you getting a male or female pup? My female is much smaller than my male was, and I am able to use a smaller size of crate.

I used to own a station wagon and have had a few diff SUVs since then. What I did was go online to find the exact measurements of the cargo space, then compared to the websites for crates I was considering for my female.

You could start with a Vari-Kennel 300 (or 400) for puppy stage. A 300 would probably fit in your sedan, but check the measurements. My full size Doberman (who is not that big) is currently riding in a 500 in my SUV now. She could fit in a 400 for a very short trip, but I wouldn't want to use that day to day. Many years ago, I did put a 500 in my sedan, but I had to fold both back seats down to fit it in. It definitely wasn't configured for a crate that big and you give up guest seats...

If you prefer the metal crate, you might check the height measurements on the 36" metal crate and see if it would fit. I also have one of those that I have used in my SUV. It might possibly fit in a sedan. Not sure though. But at home my girl has a 42" and that is really tough to fit in even my SUV.

Once your dog is older, I think it may be tough to find a crate that would fit your sedan, depending on how larger your dog is. I hope some others have some suggestions.

I would not personally be a fan of this for a puppy, but when your pup is bigger, you might be able to use one of those cargo nets/barriers for your sedan. I've had them for a few different cars. Not as secure as a crate, but better than nothing in my mind. I really prefer having my dogs in crates though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey TJ,
You’ll look great in your Honda Element… somehow I can’t see that happening. Again, start small, keep your car a while then up size the crate to the size of the growing puppy. Happy car hunting (and people think puppies are expensive :))!
Loel

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's all your fault, Loel! You have me more involved than I could ever imagine.

I should've just fought the parents and kept my Bichon lol.

I think I will go with that. I will start small and we will see where it goes. (Or just pray for about 8 months that she won't get too big? jk)

p.s. I was going to email you tomorrow, but I am picking her up this weekend. We are going to see Dr. Inkley on Thursday, so we will probably come see you next weekend if you are around/free.

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I think I will go with that. I will start small and we will see where it goes. (Or just pray for about 8 months that she won't get too big? jk)
I think I was able to use our 300 until my dog was maybe 7-8 months old. The fact that it's a she, will hopefully be in your favor, since she might be a wee bit smaller... But like Loel, I see another car in your future. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
At 10 months & 80lbs, Archie is in the extra-large VariKennel Crate, which just fits in our Kia Soul. The trick for us was the square shape of the vehicle. Anything rounded wouldn't work.

(Yes, I climbed into the back of model cars, put the seats down and had a measuring tape, lol!)

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
My husband has a Honda Civic and we are able to crate Shanoa in the backseat in a 36" crate. I wouldn't want her to be in a 36" crate for many, many hours, but it works just fine for shorter trips. She's about 68 pounds and she is comfortable in that size crate. It's not perfect, but it works just fine. In a pinch, Simon has actually fit in that size crate for a short car trip, too, and he's fairly big. I wouldn't use it with him unless I had no choice, though.

Reactions: brw1982

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Heya, I have an 04 Honda Civic and I can fit Delta's XL Vari-kennel in it... but it won't go through the door. It has to be disassembled and then reassembled inside the car. Then I push the passenger seat back up against it to keep it from rocking.

It's definitely not the most ideal setup. If you can fold your seats down, you might could squeeze some better space out of it, as well as give it a flatter surface so it won't rock. (My seats don't fold, alas.) Also, depending on what model sedan you have, you may have more interior space to begin with than I do. I'd take a measuring tape to the back seat and then with me to the. pet store if I were you :p

Oh, and it is worth noting that when people give you crate measurements for a vari-kennel style crate, they often don't include the flanges. :/ Be sure and include those when you measure.

And congratulations on your new addition!

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's keep on going in that direction! I think I am starting to hear what I was hoping to hear.

I feel like my previous car, Honda Accord, had more room in the back, but it might still work.

I am thinking she will be on the smaller size, so hopefully, I will be able to get away with a 36" crate. I am just hoping I won't have to ask PetSmart if I can try an appropriate size crate in my car.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Late to this party but my 50ish lb female has plenty of room in her Midwest 24 x 36. Get the one with 2 doors and it gives you more options as to which way you can arrange it if you get a different vehicle. Not expensive either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cathy, I just noticed your post, but I ended up getting Petco's 600 Series, which fit in my car. I should've purchased the 700 Series, which I am sure would've been a tight fit.

Anyways, I am just happy it will work for me another 4-6 months. Again, I have a smaller car. If anyone needs it, below is the link.

Petco Home and Travel Premium Kennel - Travel Dog Kennel from petco.com

·
Registered
939 Posts
We have a Honda Accord (08? 09?) And we can fit the 36"x24"x26"H Vari Kennel (400) in it. Website says its supposed to fit Dobermans, so thats what we bought. I have yet to try it in my car- 04 Jetta.. which is considerably smaller. I could though, if that would help you!

Derp... didn't read that you'd already resolved the issue.. I'm not with it today ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh no thank you. It looks like I will have to deal with with the one I have, so I am pretty sure I will end up moving to the one you posted. I just had to get something quick because her bites were making driving too dangerous. I just ran to Petco when I couldn't take it any more at the time.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What about starting with a small crate and when dog is bigger using a seat harness for the dog? I have a Chevy Cavilier very small. I'm getting a car harness for Kiss. I have a truck, but she rides up front with me when I use it. I don't put her in a crate in the back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts