Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2 year old male Doberman. Some of you have seen previous posts about his allergies early on in life. Glad to say that's all unders control right now, hopefully stays that way. We limited him to just his food and antlers to chew on. He's on ZiwiPeak Venison and Fish dehydrated raw, and has been for over 6 months. He's almost like a new dog, gone are the infections, bumps, shedding etc. He's got a beautiful shiny black coat.

I do need some help though. He was 67 lbs when we switched from a premium kibble (orijen) to ZiwiPeak. He's at 58lbs right now, and hasn't gained a pound. We even doubled the portions as ZiwiPeak instructed, he didn't put on a single pound after that. Now I know every dog is different, but really? 58 lbs? His litter mates are in the 70's I'm assuming. I don't want an unhealthy or overweight dog, but I am a bit concerned at his weight. In terms of his appearance, he looks fine, you can easily feel his ribs, and they don't show unless he's turning. He almost always gets mistaken for a 6-8 month old puppy, or mistaken for a female due to his size.

I would consider a RAW diet, but being an entirely vegetarian household, the dehydrated Raw was the best I could swing for now.

So - should I try a kibble again? The ZiwiPeak is $130 for an 11 lb bag that lasts about 15 days MAX. Anything else I can supplement to help put on a little weight?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Can you post some pictures so we can see his body condition? If he's small in stature, he might just be at a good weight for him.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Unless your dog's caloric requirement is just ridiculous (which is why I was asking about how much Orijen you had fed), this is kinda mysterious.

Sometimes, there ARE mysteries! A woman I know decided to try raw feeding for her boy who was experiencing some skin issues. She started on ground whole chicken. She kept upping and upping his portion until she got to something like SIX POUNDS a day, and her dog still was losing weight and muscle and looking crappier and crappier. Before we could figure it out, the skin issue returned so she decided raw wasn't going to help with that and returned to a reasonable portion of EVO, and her dog began to recover condition. I have no clue what was going on, and I wish she had decided to stick with raw so we could play around and figure this out.

Having looked at the Ziwi Peak, all that stands out is that it is fairly high in some of the microminerals. The amount of iodine your dog is getting daily is probably about seven times what he requires, and I am wondering if he could be becoming a little hyperthyroid as a result. This would cause him to burn energy at a higher rate, maybe. I dunno...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm also a vegetarian and my dogs eat raw. It's really not about me but what's in their best interest
Yup. RAW-lite frequently has vegetarians come to the list who have decided that a species-appropriate diet is what they want to feed their carnivores. They start out with questions like "How do you buy meat?" (really!) and wonder about the advisability of wearing a hazmat suit to touch their dog's new food and how to disinfect everything (floors, walls, ceilings LOL!). We treat them carefully, and within a few months they have usually evolved to being almost as casual as the rest of us.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
LOL too funny! I used to wear a painters mask because the meat smell would gag me. After several years of feeding raw, I'm ok now :p

Yup. RAW-lite frequently has vegetarians come to the list who have decided that a species-appropriate diet is what they want to feed their carnivores. They start out with questions like "How do you buy meat?" (really!) and wonder about the advisability of wearing a hazmat suit to touch their dog's new food and how to disinfect everything (floors, walls, ceilings LOL!). We treat them carefully, and within a few months they have usually evolved to being almost as casual as the rest of us.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Based on his photos, I would NOT try to put more weight on him. He looks good. Don't get too caught up in the numbers - he looks like he's at a good weight for his frame. He may still be adding muscle, filling out, etc. But if you are just purely adding weight to him now he'd be crossing the line into fat very quickly.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Wow - I think he looks pretty damn good. I'm so used to people posting pictures of fat dogs while complaining about wanting to add weight. LOL I did not expect to see a nice, fit Dobe. :)

I wouldn't focus on adding more weight at all. He's 2-years old, so he's still going to be filling out for another year at least. Really, I don't think the boys look like adults until around 4 or 5. Once they hit 4-5 you can really see their maturity, but up to then they look pretty puppyish in some regards. Ideally he won't be big and mature looking at 2 or else he's going to look pretty coarse by 4-5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts