Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to posting on the forum but have been following for a while. I was on the list for a Doberman puppy but took a detour. I recently bumped into someone who had a Doberman puppy that was not a fit for their home. The dog is 6 months old and the other two dogs they had wet not very tolerant of him. So I decided to adopt him for my family. He is a typical puppy and definitely testing the waters to say the least. The issue I have is in looking at his UKC paperwork I noticed Canis Maximus!!!’ Following this forum for a while I know that this is not a reputable breeder.
What can I do to test the puppy to see what I am facing health wise? Embark?

It is not that I am looking to get rid of the puppy just because of his lineage. I am not going to show him he will just be a family companion , it is my kids first puppy ( 5 and 7 yrs old) and I don’t want to devastate them with a puppy that will be Ill his whole life. They are pouring their heart into him and we’ve only had him for a day. I would look to re-home him to a family without kids that would be better suited to deal wit . It may sound cruel but honestly it is not. It is coming from a good place just hard to express in writing .

·
Registered
57 Posts
What a difficult position! Aside from health, I would also get help from a certified behaviorist to evaluate temperament (personally my biggest concern) and to give you a realistic preview of what it will be like to train and safely manage the dog around small children.

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
Just like any Doberman that comes from a rescue or rehome situation, you don't know what the future may bring for his health. Embark testing wouldn't really give you any good information. The only thing you can really test for at his age is to learn his genetic vWD status, if you don't know it, and you can do that through VetGen. You'll need to know that for surgeries, etc. He can be either clear, carrier, or affected, and the only one that is cause for any concern is affected, and even affected dogs can be managed...it's just something you'll need to know.

For anyone with a Doberman, I do recommend carrying pet insurance (and making sure it covers genetic/heritable conditions). It can really make a difference for you and your dog in terms of not having to make hard choices about care in the future. I personally won't have a dog without having insurance coverage...it has really been helpful for me and my dogs.

Make sure to do yearly bloodwork. I like to run what my vet considers a "senior" panel - it covers liver and kidney screening, and I do a full thyroid panel every year. At about age 2-3, start doing an annual echocardiogram and 24 hour holter monitor to check his heart function. If you find your local Doberman chapter club they often host events with a cardiologist to have less expensive echo "clinics", and you can rent a holter monitor and learn to hook it up yourself to cut down on expense there.

I wouldn't expect behavior problems (unless you're seeing abnormal issues now?). Take your puppy to training classes, and work with a good trainer. Go to more than one class - training is ongoing! You want a solid canine citizen!

Hope that helps. Stick around this forum...we have lots of people with lots of years of experience who are here to help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a difficult position! Aside from health, I would also get help from a certified behaviorist to evaluate temperament (personally my biggest concern) and to give you a realistic preview of what it will be like to train and safely manage the dog around small children.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His temperament seems to be ok with our kids, wife and I. He is not object aggressive with food or toys. He seems to have an issue with people visitors in the house. He was ok with them outside during the intro but as soon as they came in the house...totally different dog.. barking and very stand off. I was persistent and towards the end he was ok . I asked my father to come by again tomorrow to make sure the dog knows that my father is part of the pack and ahead of him in it.

I ordered Embark and Vetgen to see what I can find out.
His parents are directly from Canis Maximus so I am concerned. It is sad that people will take advantage of the uninformed and mistreat such beautiful animals.

I am looking into insurance. Nationwide is an an offering through my employers insurance but I am looking into others.
Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
If he's 6 months old, he's a "pandemic" puppy...I would wonder how much exposure he's had to strangers coming into the house. Dogs don't really think as much in terms of "pack" and "rank" as people sometimes think they do. He was probably nervous about a stranger and barking to seem bigger and scarier than he is...

What I would do is actually ask strangers to simply ignore him, and give your puppy more distance and space from the strangers that come into your home. Have your puppy at a distance where he feels comfortable enough that he's not reacting. Give him treats when strangers are nearby, so he learns that when you welcome someone into the house, good things happen. You can also set him up in a crate where he feels safe and secure, with a nice chew - bully stick, stuffed Kong, etc., so he can watch and smell people, and have a good association (his chew), but doesn't interact with them. You can drop treats into his crate.

You want him to learn that when you invite people into your house, good things happen. Don't push him to interact with people or ask him to take treats from them, just let him take it at his pace. It will pay off in the end.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My current boy is from canis maximus. His previous owners purchased him and his littermate sister from Irina. They both suffered from giardia and demodex. He was still positive for giardia at a year when I got him. When the inevitable littermate syndrome reared its head they rehomed him. It’s been 4 years and while he’s had his issues we’ve worked through them. I suggest finding a good trainer that will come into your home and work with any issues you may be having.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m not able to help with your issue but I did want to ask, is the Canis Maximus in Fauquier County, Virginia?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts