Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I was just curious whether anyone on this forum has taken their furry family members to canine chiropractors and if they saw any improvement from it? I have booked Dickson an appointment for next tuesday and am hoping that it helps a little bit.

The reason I am taking him is that he seems to have some discomfort in back end, nothing serious he never yelps or has no issues in and physical activities but if you run your hand down his back sometimes he tucks his back end under. Or if you scratch his back end he will just sit down. Also when we go for walks he'll suddenly tuck his bum under and plant his nub firmly to the side. I originally thought it was his anal glands that were causing this but I took him to the vet and had them cleared and the issue has still continued. Anyways he has seen the vet and she said there was no visible issues but I'm thinking Dickson in is crazy and often ungraceful antics has pulled something or put something a bit out of place.

If anyone has any experience with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nia and Dickson

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
All of my pets including the cat actually go reagularly.

My work uses an activator, otherwise know as veterinary orthopedic manipulation or V.O.M., instead of manual adjustments as well, and I love it.
With all the jumping, playing, wrestling, and agility things they all do they are frequently out in their lumbar(just before the hips) and they LOVE! getting the adjustment done.
Mabel fell asleep standing during the second half of it where she was relesing the muscle tension!
Good luck and i'm sure your boy will really appreciate it! Mine go once every one or two months depending on what signs they give me they are in need or what they have been doing (lately hannah is going every 2 weeks for running into the glass patio door....repeatedly :rolleyesww: )

What Is VOM?

http://lbah.com/vom.htm

Reactions: dicksondobe

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Thats what I was thinking, he is always wiping out, especially with the icy weather lately. He probably just needs a little adjustment.

All of my pets including the cat actually go reagularly.

My work uses an activator, otherwise know as veterinary orthopedic manipulation or V.O.M., instead of manual adjustments as well, and I love it.
With all the jumping, playing, wrestling, and agility things they all do they are frequently out in their lumbar(just before the hips) and they LOVE! getting the adjustment done.
Mabel fell asleep standing during the second half of it where she was relesing the muscle tension!
Good luck and i'm sure your boy will really appreciate it! Mine go once every one or two months depending on what signs they give me they are in need or what they have been doing (lately hannah is going every 2 weeks for running into the glass patio door....repeatedly :rolleyesww: )

What Is VOM?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Quick question though, is your appointment for a vom style adjustment, or a manual chiropractic?

I'm sure either one will help given what you said about the ice and his coordination, but just curious and I personally prefer the activator to manual for me and the pets, and they are really pretty different if you skimmed/read the links. :)

P.s. cute boy in your pic! and especially the puppy one in your sig. awwww!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly had no idea what VOM was before I skimmed that link you sent, so I am not sure whether she does that. I know she does manual chiropractic for sure, my sister has taken her working bearded collie there, thats where I found her clinic. I am hoping she does VOM though as it seems a little less intrusive that manual chiropractic can be.

Thanks he is pretty dorky lol he isn't even a pup in my signature thats Dickson every morning when he is ready for his belly rubs. Mabel is also gorgeous but then again I have always wanted a red female so I am a bit biased.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I honestly had no idea what VOM was before I skimmed that link you sent, so I am not sure whether she does that. I know she does manual chiropractic for sure, my sister has taken her working bearded collie there, thats where I found her clinic. I am hoping she does VOM though as it seems a little less intrusive that manual chiropractic can be.
Thanks he is pretty dorky lol he isn't even a pup in my signature thats Dickson every morning when he is ready for his belly rubs. Mabel is also gorgeous but then again I have always wanted a red female so I am a bit biased.
Thats exactly why I love it, I'm not a fan of being torqued around and what not, so I cant see why they'd like it, plus the "jackhammer", as we so lovingly call it, that releases tension is just amazing :D best 2 minute massage ever lol, keep me posted on what style it is when you go, and how he does, I never even knew about chiro for pets of any sort till my job and now i'll always do it!

Lol, wow now he's even cuter! Mabel wakes me up by nosing my face hard then rubbing along the bed and flipping my covers off :mad: but I love her anyway. And thank you, she's my first dobe and I do believe she's forever made me a red girl fan :)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Have you had his hips checked out? I would get a few radiographs before any chiropractic changes IMO. There may be underlying reasons for his behavior.... I'm not really familiar with canine chiropractors in detail, but I wouldsay that once you start visiting and having "adjustments" you may need to continue this. You should probably do enough research to be comfortable prior. Also, acupuncture is a thought. Good luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you had his hips checked out? I would get a few radiographs before any chiropractic changes IMO. There may be underlying reasons for his behavior.... I'm not really familiar with canine chiropractors in detail, but I wouldsay that once you start visiting and having "adjustments" you may need to continue this. You should probably do enough research to be comfortable prior. Also, acupuncture is a thought. Good luck
Yes he had his hips x-rayed last year when Dickson popped his hip out in another display of Dickson's lack of coordination. Its definitely not his hips that are the problem, I stretch them out for him every morning and he appears to have no discomfort. The vet also checked them out when I originally went in for the issue. I have thought about acupuncture too and will try it if this doesn't work for him. If it does I will definitely keep it a regular activity for him. Thanks for the advice though, hips were definitely my first concern.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I use and recommend chiropractic care regularly for my dogs. Dittoing the recommendations for the VOM style of adjustment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update

Dickson's chiropractic appointment went very well, he loved it and was a very good tolerant boy. SAM1515 my vet did not use the VOM technique nor any devices to adjust him. She said she specialized in inter-cranial and other very un-intrusive techniques. She also does acupuncture so she focused on some of the prime pressure points. I am also happy to say that she said Dickson had no signs of wobblers and is in excellent condition. Thanks again to everyone that commented, it made me feel way more comfortable about going and will definitely be going again, as he seems to currently have little or no discomfort in his back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts