Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a year and 9 month old male Doberman Pinscher. He is in good health, however my vet has warned me that dobermans can be prone to heart problems. He checks him every 6 months. We had a check up a few months ago, and he wrote on his paper that there were no murmers present but there were some Arrhythmias. He said he was fine and didn't even mention the Arrhythmias (I only saw that he wrote it because I was redaing it while he got his vaccines) It's probably nothing because my vet never even mentioned it but I am concernd because, they are prone to problems and there were no Arrhythmias 6 months ago. Can anyone tell me what these are and if I should be concerned. I'm probably worrything about nothing, I tend to do that, the poor dog gets the thermometer jammed up his butt every time he sneezes He's like a child to me and I don't know what I would do without him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
It can just mean that the heart is the slightest bit off. Which isn't a bad thing. It can just be so the slightest change he hears. I really dount it is anything. Even with people a large part of the population has murmors or arethymias. He might be making you to paranoid about it. Did he come from a good breeder were you know his backround? If so I wouldn't worry too much. But if he is a rescue it doesn't hurt to check. I still think every six months is a little much though. You could always listen to the heart yoursef. Its not to hard. Then if you heard a deviation from the norm you wouldn't have to worry so much about it.

39 Posts
Most out grow this.

DobieGirl said:
Hi,
I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a year and 9 month old male Doberman Pinscher. He is in good health, however my vet has warned me that dobermans can be prone to heart problems. He checks him every 6 months. We had a check up a few months ago, and he wrote on his paper that there were no murmers present but there were some Arrhythmias. He said he was fine and didn't even mention the Arrhythmias (I only saw that he wrote it because I was redaing it while he got his vaccines) It's probably nothing because my vet never even mentioned it but I am concernd because, they are prone to problems and there were no Arrhythmias 6 months ago. Can anyone tell me what these are and if I should be concerned. I'm probably worrything about nothing, I tend to do that, the poor dog gets the thermometer jammed up his butt every time he sneezes He's like a child to me and I don't know what I would do without him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks![/QUOTE
Hi
Ive been told this Arrhythmias and murmers they will most likey grow out of in a year. Just keep a eye on it. Good luck.
Patricia Diane Sellers

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
young puppies normally do have innocent murmurs, however, if your dog is a year and a half old, that is most likely something permanent or progressing.

if you are concerned, you should take your dog to a veterinary cardiologist and a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiogram) and 24 hour Holter monitor (EKG) can be performed to check for current heart disease.

unfortunately, yes, the doberman breed is plagued with heart disease and even young dogs can get it. its rampant in the breed, and our first step towards eliminating is to have breeders test and tell, about the dogs they are breeding.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's due for a checkup soon so I will talk to my vet about it. If he has something is it treatable or is it simply a matter of time thing? :sadcry:

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can prolong their lives with medication by 12-24 months or so. I haven't heard of one living much more than that after a diagnosis of cardio.

Like Kim said, do the echocardiogram and 24 hour Holter monitor to be sure.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
hey now - bowie's at 18 months almost!
i know of someone who had 5 years after diagnosis of occult - but that is rare. bowie's aiming for 5 years though :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
5 years?? really?? very cool!

I hope Bowie does get 5 years. I'd like to see the whole disease disappear.

I only had seven weeks with my one rescue girl after her diagnosis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts