Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi has anyone ever dealt with the Canidae company I have e-mailed them once and called their 1-800 twice get a message saying they will call back but never do??? I have been feeding Buddy 3 cups in the morning & 3 cups late evening wanted to ask if I was feeding too much. He has allot of stools 4-5 a day, and tonight he threw up all in his crate he was fed about 5:pM and he threw up about 8:00 pm. On big dogs I like to feed twice a day instead of once a day trying to prevent Bloat, guess Dobes can Bloat too know the Bouviers I had it was in their lines. Also Buddy is eating allot of grass & twigs it is in his stools just wondering if I should change foods again he was started out on Diamond dog food that is what the breeder was feeding, I was trying to upgrade to a better food. Now not sure of what to feed wanted to talk to the Canidae people will try one more time in the morning to talk to them. Only get paid once a month so need to figure out what to do before my next check may go with Chicken Soup for the Soul it is a pretty good food.Trying for middle of the road priced food also copied the Whole Dog Journal 2005 rating the dog foods and Canide was on there and Buddy seems to eat it well.Dogs can be a headache sometimes trying to do what is best for them.
Patches Mom

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I agree with Tracy, try 3 2 cup meals. But honestly, 6 cups is ALOT of food. IMO his weight, activity, and stools would be my best judge. If he is pooing alot he may be eating to much. If it were my dog, I would cut back some and see if it fixed the problem. Just moniter his weight, and activity and if he still seems happy and healthy I would go on that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Riley has been on Iams puppy food. We stopped by Petsmart when we brought her home last week and the Bil-Jac rep was there talking up her puppy food. So we bought a small bag to try along with their sample pac.

I checked the ratings on this link: http://tinyurl.com/yavf2l

Kratty also posted the 2005 info from Whole Dog Journal here:http://tinyurl.com/yco8b8. But that only gives ratings and anal people like me like to know a little about the why of a rating. :thinking:

I see that BJ has BHA (suspected carcinogen) and is mostly corn. I'm taking the unopened bag back. It's a 1 star food (assuming this site is accurate in its analysis). IAMS is also a 1 star food.

I am actually looking to try the Canidae All Life Stages for our 10 week old puppy... when I can find a store that carries it.

Presently, Riley's stools are generally firm. Don't know how size compares. (never thought I'd be discussing things like the relative size of poop on a forum!)

That BJ rep sure talked up their food. If I would have had my act together, I would have challenged some of her assertions (in a friendly way, of course).

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
According to the back of the bag, the only puppies that should be getting that much food would 75lb - 100lb pups. Even the most active adult at 75 lbs gets only 3-4 cups a day. I think you are feeding to much, it is a fairly dense food so there is alot of calories per cup.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
How much does he weigh? I looked at the recommended feeding scale and 6 cups a day is alot. For puppies at 75-100 pounds, they recommed 5-6 cups a day. For older than 6 months, even 75-100 pounds, they recommed 3-4 cups a day. Maybe its too much food. Do you mix anything with it or is it all dry food. Maybe adding alittle water with it would help. Remember anything that is not used by the body comes out as waste. We on an anerage have only two poops aday and occasionally a third and its pretty much on a regular schedule. I would try cutting down his intake first.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
hehehe....Okie, good info.

Also for all Canidae users, I heard from another forum that if you save your UPC codes and submit 12 of them to Canidae, they will send you a coupon for a free bag of canidae. Still trying to get that verified with Canidae.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I feed Eagle Pack, but that does seem like a lot of food to be giving him. IMO cut what you are giving him, and split it up into 3 feedings for a while, just to see how his stomach handles it. Lexus gets 2 cups twice a day of Eagle Pack, pretty much all spring/summer I had her on 1 1/2 cups twice a day, but now that she is getting more active, she's trimmed up even more, and needs more intake. ( I swear this dog loses a pound just by trotting across the room )

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've fed Gaston Canidae his whole life and Roxy eats it to. They get 2 cups in the morning and he gets 3 at night with her getting 2 again. She weighed 58 lbs. when I got her in June and she turned 1 in July, last week she weighed in at 67.7 lbs. and Gaston was 90.7 and he just turned 2 on 10/13. His father weighs 95lbs. and his uncle is 92lbs. They also poo about twice a day and blast around all the time with lots of excercise. They also get loads of compliments on what beautiful coats they have.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
I feed Canidae to 2 of my dogs. The male, Rocket, weighs about 85 lbs and he only eats about 3 1/2 cups a day divided into 2 meals so I suspect you are feeding too much to Buddy.

Kratty, Canidae does have a breeder program. Once enrolled, you only have to save 5 UPC labels (AND store receipts) from like products to get a free one next. That could be 5 bags of kibble to get a free bag of kibble, five bags of Snap Biscuits to get a free bag next, five boxes of biscuits (I buy the 20 lb boxes) to get a free box next, five trays of tinned food to get a free tray of canned next, etc. I just picked up a free bag yesterday.

The e-mail for the breeder program is [email protected]
They send out an application.

That said, the store where I buy my Canidae also had a Canidae program where we got every 8th bag free, I think it was. They also offered me a breeder discount. However, to be enrolled in the actual Canidae breeder program with Canidae, I have to pay full price for their products at the store (and as mentioned, you do have to send the receipts) to get the free product from Canidae. I sat down and calculated what I was getting from the store vs what I could get from Canidae, and the deal from Canidae was better.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree - I think you're feeding a couple cups too much. Most premium dog foods I have used average about 4 cups total a day for dog that is the size of a dobe (give or take a little for weight variants).

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did finely get a live person at Canidae they told me to cut back on his food he is 6 months old seems to be at a good weight about 60# I like the idea of 3 meals a day maybe 1- cup in the morning,afternoon & late evening that would be 3 cups a day will try it & see what happens. He acts so hungry all the time but guess he is a teen aged boy and they are always hungry all the time.He is so wild we get to go to our 1st obedience class on Monday will be glad to get that started.I think he is taking after his Grandfather he weighs about 110# guess Buddy is going to turn out to be super sized after all only time will tell.Thank you very much for all the great answers.
Patches Mom

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buddy does weigh 60# at 6 months old I think he is going to be one of those Super Dobes I was hoping he would not be that big but he still has huge paws & ears with the show cut they gave him. His Picture is on the forum his Grandfather was about 29" his Dad 27 & 1/2 'his Mom about 27" was hoping he would be standard size.??? Temperament was what I was most interested in.Patches Mom

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Patches Mom said:
Buddy does weigh 60# at 6 months old I think he is going to be one of those Super Dobes I was hoping he would not be that big but he still has huge paws & ears with the show cut they gave him. His Picture is on the forum his Grandfather was about 29" his Dad 27 & 1/2 'his Mom about 27" was hoping he would be standard size.??? Temperament was what I was most interested in.Patches Mom
60 lbs. at 6 months is pretty normal for a male doberman puppy.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh you give me hope thank you ,thank you was thinking he was going to be a horse,Everyone that sees him the first thing they say he has huge feet.He is going to be super big I really do hope he will just be a regular size Dobe.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Patches Mom, I have a big boy too, he has huge feet. I think he is slowing down now and hopefully won't get any bigger. He was 10 months old on the 24th of Oct and tonight I weighed and measured him, he is 83 lbs and is 28 inches at the withers. If he gets no bigger he will still be in standard. At 7 months old he weighed 80 lbs. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he stays where he's at now LOL.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Oscar is right in line w/the pace of BIB's Rommel, steadily gaining weight until about 7 months, slowing considerably, then plateauing out by 1 year old at about 71 lbs.. He also had very big feet as a lil' pup but grew into them.

Buddy and DaKari should start to plateau soon...then you worry because they're not gaining weight!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think so too Sooz, but it is Nash that is the big boy, Da'Kari is my female and she weighs 71 pds and has since she was about 10 months old. She has smaller feet but then again she is female but his just seem huge to me. It's not fun when he steps on your toes LOL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts