Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to get a doberman puppy, but finding a breeder is much harder than i thought.

i would prefer the breeder to be in ontario, but if it was somewhere in canada and shipped that would be fine as well. i just want to be able to go out and see the pups before i buy.

so far i am interested in Cresswell dobermans in kawartha lakes ontario and Botrina Dobermans in B.C

i contacted cresswell by email and found that their pups are $2200, dispite the amazing care that i hear the breeders give at Cresswell, that price seems too steep for me.

does anyone have any advise for me? or do you know anything about Botrina?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

I am also from Ontario, and there are some wonderful breeders here, Check out the DPCC for further listings. I don't know much of the ones you mentioned but off the top of my head there are some people on here who are more than happy with Dobereich, also Wrath-Liberator has some beautiful dogs but I don't know if they breed too often.

As for the price, that seems pretty average to me. I find that with this breed you really do pay for what you get. Rescue is also another option, there are some in Ontario that sometimes get young Dobes.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are there any doberman rescues that you know of? i suppose that could be an option, but i was quite set on a pup...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm moving out in a year, and I have a 1 yr old dobe now, which will be 2 by the time I move out. I'm probably going to get another dobe to keep it company, and I'm most likely leaning on rescuing one. It's a new experience for me, but I'm definitely considering it. Only thing I'm afraid is, I don't think I could possibly love another dog as much as I love my Dobe.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am from Toronto, and have a dog from Dobereich who I am extremely happy with.... And that price is the going rate for around this area :)

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Yes there are dobes in rescue right now. You can contact Available Dogs. Email and ask as there are more dogs then are on the website. The price you mentioned is the average rate in Ontario....if not a bit more.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes Harleywood is the only Dobe rescue around here I have heard is really good.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've seen quite a lot of puppies in various rescues too. If you were set on getting a puppy, perhaps you could take a long drive or hold out for a local rescue puppy?

Good luck in your search, either way :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't think that Cresswell was having a litter any time soon. What is your timeline for getting a dog?

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
I am in Alberta and quite delighted with Gentry Dobermans! I really haven't a clue when her next breeding is, but I just got a pup from her, so maybe not for awhile. I think she is in Ontario now though!

Reactions: arankin

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have bought 2 dobes from my breeder and have always been happy. And this past month we just rescued a beautiful female Dobe from the Toronto human society, she's young too only a year and a half. She is an amazing fit for our family and we are all so happy. Please consider a rescue if it's possible for you.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
826 Posts
if that price is too steep are you prepared to pay $4000 + in possible future doggy emergencies? before dog ownership that is also something you have to think about. good luck and if I was in the US/Canada I would probably rescue.. theres just never any dobes in rescue here in Aus, thats a good thing though :)

Baystar, Holmrun, Gatehouse, Braebrook (they imported an Aus dog so I am bias), Botrina are all nearby and are the breeders I have heard good things about..

If you search there are about 10 other threads about Breeders in Ontario with detailed answers from other members. Good luck.

·
Extraordimary
5,011 Posts
Baystar, Holmrun, Gatehouse, Braebrook (they imported an Aus dog so I am bias), Botrina are all nearby and are the breeders I have heard good things about..
While, yes, Gatehouse is in Ontario, the others are far from nearby. Unless you count 4-6 hour plane rides as nearby.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts