Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i had surgery the other day and i have a lot of time on my hands...time for some posting. :jonkel:

Ok, Can you remember your first doberman experience and do you remember your thoughts?

My very first experience was with two Dobermans that used to live down the street and around the corner from my grandparents house. My little maltice used to egg them on all the time, and they would bark and run up and down the yard trying to get to my dog. My first thoughts were, "Wow, those things look scary! But they are so gorgeous."

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My first actual Dobe experience was 26 years ago. I was young hehe, anyway a neighbor came home from work with a 2 day old male dobe pup that someone brought to work. The momma dobe had rejected the little fellow and the guy didn't know what to do so he gave him to my neighbor who in turn gave him to me to raise. I named him Zack and wanted him so bad. But I noticed he held his head funny. I tried to bottle feed him and he would eat a little but he died about two days later. I was heartbroken. I was terrified that he would grow up and eat my kids but I thought surely with bottle feeding him he would be ok LOL. Had I only known the true nature of these "bad" boys I would have had them a long time ago. But of course I believed the heresay that they would "turn" on their masters. Now 26 years later I have two of the sweetest man eaters.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
When I was a pre-teen and spent every spare moment at the stable, I got to know a Doberman that the stable manager owned. His name was Ari (short for Aristotle) - I thought he was just the coolest dog. He was hit by a car on the road in front of the stable when he was maybe around a year old and survived but broke his shoulder and was a tripod for months. He could still run like the dickens and used to run around the big pasture with the horses. There were 1 or 2 horses that really disliked him and they would chase him out of the field. Dang even on 3 legs he could get out of their way lickity split. He was friendly with everyone - just really a big goof.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My first experiance with a doberman was when I was about 8 years old. My uncle had a red and he was mean. But he was mean cause of the neighbor hood kids teasing him. He was in a fenced in yard and the kids would throw stones and take a stick and run it down the fence. Wayne my uncle would call the police and they would just tell the kids to stop and thats it. I felt so sorry for him. He liked adults but kids no way.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I don't remember what I thought, when I came home as an infant I already had Dobermans waiting at home to welcome me to the family, my siblings did too.
My granny on my mom's side worried about kids with Dobes all the time, my dad grew up around Dobes so my other grandma knew better.
My kids will also have Dobes waiting for them, Dobes and kids can be such a great match.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The first one I ever met was about ten years ago. A friend of mine from work had a house fire, and I went out to help. When I got out of my car, there was this doberman to greet me. My first thought was, "uh-oh, doberman!", since when I was a kid they were the "bad dogs". After I was there a couple of hours I would have happily dognapped him, especially since my boxer puppy was in that teenager stage and driving me nuts. All the ones I've met since have been really cool too.
Jen

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
dogs4jen said:
when I was a kid they were the "bad dogs".
Jen
Some parents wouldn't let their kids play at our house. They were scared of the Dobermans, it was pretty annoying.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
My first experience with dobies was when i bought my first one,but then there was no website help about! i got real lucky back then bcuz i could have got a bad dobe and been tarnished for life but as luck would have she was an absolute angel, and the first thing i will do when i pass from this life will be to find my Juno and all my other dobes at the bridge.As much as i love all my dobes, she was my first dobeilove and never a day passes when i don't look at her picture and thank the Lord that she came into my life and gave me a very special gift, the gift of The Doberman.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am 3rd generation Dobe owner, my Grandparents had Dobes back in the 40's. I have never had another breed. I grew up at Montavilla kennel in the 70's until Vic (owner)passed away. We at one point had 16 Dobes in our home. So I live, eat and breathe Dobes!!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My first Dobe experience was when we were here last time. Some guy that worked with Mark had 2, Elvis and Priscilla. He came buy the house to get something and had Elvis with him - Right when Mark opened the door, our little dog, Max darted out. I freaked, Max would never run away but he always led us on a lengthy chase. But the guy (funny how I can remember the dog's name but not the owner LOL) just told me to wait. He told Elvis "Go get him" and I swear, Elvis went straight to Max and basically herded him back into the house. How cool is that?

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
In 1958 my college roommate dragged me off to a dog show--she had a Dane puppy that she was just starting to show. Dobes were in right after Danes and she couldn't drag me away from the ring--I thought they were the most beutiful thing I'd ever seen.

By 1960 I had my first Dobe and in spite of doing everything possible wrong when it came to looking for and buying that puppy I ended up with a Dobe who was probably the best Dobe I'll ever own--I finished him in Canada and the US and his breeder ended up specialing him for several years--he was a multi BIS and BISS dog in both countries.

I've tried other breeds a few times and have always ended up back with Dobes--I still think they are perhaps the most strikingly beautiful dog that there is.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Our neighbors had two guard Dobes and I would as a small child go "play" with them! My own mother couldn't come near me! LOL They were wonderful dogs and often I was found cuddling them in thier dog house!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think I was about 8 when I met my first Dobe. The ATV dealer in town had one that was always at the store, I remember thinking he was HUGE (probably because I was so small) but he was a very sweet dog and I would always pet him whenever we went there.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
My first experiance that i can remember was with my neighbors dog. they had a devilish little min pin and a really cool dobe. unfortunately, they didnt take him out a lot, so we didnt see him much, but one day he got loose and me n the neighborhood kids chased after him with the owners to catch him. it was fun.:) i didnt really get to meet him, but he was a nice dog.

I really fell in love tho when i started working in a groomshop and a co-worker always brought her dog with. I literally became obsessed and i've never met a mean dobe.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
When I was growing up, my family didn't live int he best neighborhood... on my way to school (I walked about 6 blocks through the "ghetto", or as ghetto you can get in Iowa) and always passed a drug house on the way. There wa an 8 foot wrought iron fence surrounding it, with two guard dogs... a GSD named Chico and a red dobe named Cody. Chico was the younger one, and he'd charge the fence, snarling/barking/growling, from the minute you came into sight until the moment you went out of sight. Cody was different though - he'd simply sit on the steps leading up to the front door and *stare you down*. He never barked, never moved, never got up... but he was the scary one.

I always remember having a great sense of respect for Cody - he was an awesome dog (although he probably would have killed me if I'd trespassed) and he was the beginning of my love affair with the breed.

·
Registered
953 Posts
All great stories :D Loved reading them all.

My very first that I can remember was about, 11-12yrs ago. I was around 12-13yrs old. It was actually my very first bf haha. I'd go to his house and he had a "big mean vicious" Doberman named Duke. I was terrfied to even go NEAR his house. But his mom always told me that Duke was friendly. I just thought YEAH RIGHT LADY. Eventually I did make it into the house. We'd play Nintendo and Duke would sit with us :) I learned to realize he was actually a really nice dog!!! I just saw his mom the other day and she has another Doberman ;)

But I didn't fall in love until I met my Sister's dobe, Bo Bo. He is what changed my mind on the breed. He was so kind, gentle and just SO SMART. That when my sister's female had puppies. I HAD to have a Doberman. So I read up on them, did a bunch of research. Once we did that we decided to pick the smallest guy. Which is now the biggest :D That's how my love of the breed came about. I will never for as long as I live own another Breed (well, I MAY one day own a Dane, but it wouldn't be without a Dobe "sibbling" hehe).

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
My first doberman was in 1973 She was a beautiful Red girl "Lady Balitmore"
Get girl.. My little boy would lay all over her and chew on her ears and legs when he was teething.. One day when he was about 15 months I was doing house work and he was in the other room.. I went to check on him and he was gone.. the front door was open and I panicked.. As I ran out the door there he was toddling down the sidewalk with Lady right by his side.. As he got towards the end of the Circle she turned him around and gentle nosed him back into the house.. What a Great dog.. she lived to be 12 years old and one day just laid down in the middle of our street and died!!! To this day I miss her..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts