Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for new family member and the more I read on these forums the more we are afraid to purchase. Looks like finding healthy dog is fairly difficult.
We took Stray farm of our list after reading this post:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/12279-stray-farm-dobies.html
Is there someone you would recommend in Eastern Ontario or Western Quebec?
We also found this ad on Kijiji but I suspect that it will be BYB breeder as there is no mention of CKC registration.
Doberman puppies - Ottawa Dogs & Puppies For Sale - Kijiji Ottawa Canada.
There is also this breeder close to Montreal:
Dur-Ay Doberman - Puppies / Chiots

We owned CKC registered Dobie from 1990-1998 when she died of cancer:( The breeder was from Almonte/ON but I can't find him now (still have the CKC paperwork). Our dachshund died earlier this year and we sure don't want to live without dog anymore but we like to spent long time with him/her :)

Any help or opinions would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Good luck with your research and search for just the right dog!

If you get the chance...............please check out a few rescue Doberman too!

Thanks!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I highly recommend reading the Reputable Breeders thread Emily posted but here are some names to act as a starting point. A few of the breeders in Ontario post on DT and many DT members have dogs from them Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada
Good luck in your puppy search!!!

Reactions: lifeisfun

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck with your research and search for just the right dog!

If you get the chance...............please check out a few rescue Doberman too!

Thanks!
We did try to adopt pup from young family that likes to find new home for him but the price they asked was not reasonable. Couldn't find any other dog under one year old.
We don't mean to be picky but we like to get healthy dog that will be with us for looooong time since the pain of loosing one hurts too much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
We did try to adopt pup from young family that likes to find new home for him but the price they asked was not reasonable. Couldn't find any other dog under one year old.
We don't mean to be picky but we like to get healthy dog that will be with us for looooong time since the pain of loosing one hurts too much.
A well bred Doberman puppy will likely be 2-3000 in Canada. "Adopting" means that you go through a purebred adoption agency. What you are talking about is rehoming or selling a dog. I am not sure what purebred rescues are in your area, but there are a fair number of folks from around there on this forum so maybe they can chime in.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Interesting, since we found many CKC registered pups advertised around $1800
Here is one example:
CKC Registered Doberman Pinschers - Ottawa Dogs & Puppies For Sale - Kijiji Ottawa Canada.
Pet quality is $1800.00 and show are $2500.00 per their website which is in the range posted above. Devonquest

On the stud dog's website it states he is not two and hasn't completed his testing yet. I would personally want to see copies of the tests that have been done for hips,CERF,thyroid,heart(holter/echo),VWD. It is quite possible the testing has been done but you would want to check.

Both of the parents are VWD carriers. You may want to check in to what that means by doing a search on DT about carrier to carrier breedings.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here is some info on VWD http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/50905-vwd-clear-carrier-affected.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/57682-von-willebrands-how-has-effected-you.html

I just looked at the pedigree on the website and the stud dog is 20 months old.
Pedigree for Enzo and Lava Propo

That means the stud dog can not have OFA hips/elbows done only prelims, it is also not recommended that dogs are bred prior to 24 months to allow for a few baseline tests on heart,thyroid etc to be reviewed.

You may want to ask the breeder involved more questions about their goals for the litter, why they chose this particular young stud, what they are hoping for with the puppies temperment, will they be testing the puppys to determine their VWD status prior to placement in homes etc.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If you are near Petawawa there is a show at the arena this weekend. I believe Francoise is there with this male, you could talk to her...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are near Petawawa there is a show at the arena this weekend. I believe Francoise is there with this male, you could talk to her...
Thanks for reply!
We are in the eastern part, so we won't be able to make it on such a short notice.
Which male you mean?

Our previous dobie was about 70lb (female) and we loved the smaller size.
Is this common or 90lb dogs l can see advertised are more available.

Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Pet quality is $1800.00 and show are $2500.00 per their website which is in the range posted above.
Just remember that you get what you pay for.
I'm new with dobermans and I've also been looking into breeders in ON for a while, so I know that it can be overwhelming especially once you realize the prices for a good, healthy doberman. But the best quote I've seen on DT that you should keep in mind: if you'd willingly pay $2000 for a TV that will last you MAYBE 4 years if you're lucky, why wouldn't you pay that on a doberman that will last you 8+ years?

Anyway - I've got a list I've made of doberman breeders I've looked into with my personal pros/cons of each of them. It's really handy to have because after you keep looking through breeders their info can get mushed around in your brain (well at least for me :lol2: ). I know of two breeders closer to the area you're looking for that come to mind:

Cresswell Dobermans is located somewhere in Kawartha Lakes, ON and I've heard good things about them on this forum.
There is also Ambermark who are located in Kinmount, ON. They also have good things on DT but their website isn't super informative about their health testing -- You'd have to call them...which you probably should be doing anyway so... :p

Again I don't have personal experience - my info is from their website and their reviews on DT

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks for reply!
We are in the eastern part, so we won't be able to make it on such a short notice.
Which male you mean?

Our previous dobie was about 70lb (female) and we loved the smaller size.
Is this common or 90lb dogs l can see advertised are more available.

Thanks
sorry, i meant the male that Devonqest used for stud (which is the link you posted). Maybe going to some shows is a good start.... try ww.canuckdogs.com for show info in your area
Weight is sometime used as a selling feature for byb 's - they use their overweight over standard dogs as selling features LOL!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just remember that you get what you pay for.
I'm new with dobermans and I've also been looking into breeders in ON for a while, so I know that it can be overwhelming especially once you realize the prices for a good, healthy doberman. But the best quote I've seen on DT that you should keep in mind: if you'd willingly pay $2000 for a TV that will last you MAYBE 4 years if you're lucky, why wouldn't you pay that on a doberman that will last you 8+ years?

Anyway - I've got a list I've made of doberman breeders I've looked into with my personal pros/cons of each of them. It's really handy to have because after you keep looking through breeders their info can get mushed around in your brain (well at least for me :lol2: ). I know of two breeders closer to the area you're looking for that come to mind:

Cresswell Dobermans is located somewhere in Kawartha Lakes, ON and I've heard good things about them on this forum.
There is also Ambermark who are located in Kinmount, ON. They also have good things on DT but their website isn't super informative about their health testing -- You'd have to call them...which you probably should be doing anyway so... :p

Again I don't have personal experience - my info is from their website and their reviews on DT
I don't think that cost would be the deciding factor if CKC registration would mean that the dog is screamed and healthy.
Sadly that's not the case :(
BTW TV only 4 years - time to hit some reviews and switch brand :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Breeders in Quebec

Christine from Devonquest is a wonderful person; contact her in person and ask her any questions she'll be very honest and upfront with you.

I don't know the bitch but know Enzo the male very well; he's got a wonderful temperament; nice dog.

Other breeders in quebec are myself Boland Dobermans but I don't have any litters planned until maybe next year.

Also try Dandurand; they have a couple of litters planned this year. Diane is wonderful; they have beautiful dogs with good temperaments.

You're looking at the $2000 - $2500 range depending on the breeder.

When buying a dog whether registered or not there are no guarantees. Dobermans aren't the healthiest breed; their life expectancy is 9.5 years.

Good luck in your search.

Katherine

·
Registered
23 Posts
According to Dobequest it looks like Dandurand bred Coco Chanel before the age of 2 and she had back to back litters once as well.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
According to Dobequest it looks like Dandurand bred Coco Chanel before the age of 2 and she had back to back litters once as well.
sometimes back to back is because there are health reasons to do it....
sometimes back to back is because they had one or two pups and the stud agreement means they have to bring the bitch back the next heat to re-breed.
THere are reasons to do this, so talking to the breeder as to why they chose to is what i would do.
Age - how close to two was she? was she within a month or two? was there a stud that was not going to be availalbe that they wanted to use? Reasons there too.

I'm not defending anyone, just pointing that out :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts