Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,026 Posts
Yeah, I don't mess around with eyes. Examining an eye for physical damage takes specialized equipment and endangering my dog's sight because of an incorrect diagnosis or treatment (or lack of treatment) just isn't a risk I want to take.

·
Super Moderator
27,026 Posts
Maybe what they are seeing is just tissue damage/swelling and so on--and not damage to the eyeball itself. That's a good thing.

Perhaps he ran into something, or was bitten by an insect or spider?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea hope so I will take her in tomorrow her eye keeps shutting and then a bit later gets better on and off

·
Premium Member
8,570 Posts
Vet should be able to take a look to determine if scratched etc.
Vet might also be able to prescribe antibiotic or something to sooth the irritation.
Eye pain hurts and creates sensitivity.
Dog might attempt to scratch or rub on furniture or ground.
Prevent pup from rubbing that eye till you get confirmation of no underlying issues.

·
Super Moderator
27,026 Posts
I'm glad to hear that--it's good news that there's no eye damage.

·
Big Lil pup
6,742 Posts
Great that you took her in. While viral conjunctivitis in dogs not really considered communicable, bacterially caused eye conditions can be contagious to other dogs and sometimes people. Also, while extremely common and easily treatable, left untreated, complications from a serious case has been known to cause permanent eye damage.

The bottom line for most pet owners that I know (and apparently you also!) is that eye issues need to be looked at professional and quickly.

Bet to you and your girl

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts