Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if Roxy can andle 8 hours and half without going to pee because no one is going to be in the house tomorrow. Should i put her in her crate or not. She is doing good in the house without us sometime we let her for like 5-6 hours but i would like to know for 8 hours and half if someone already did it ??? She is 9 month. I wake up early to take her for a walk in the morning.

Edit : i dont realy want to let her in her crate for 8 hours i think it a little to much she will be with my other dog free in the house probably but do you still think that she can angle 8 hours ?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,316 Posts
There are three things you have to consider if you want to leave her for 8 1/2 hours alone.

1. Can she stay that long in a crate? She could, especially if this is a one time deal, but that's an awfully long time. Do you have a bathroom or other safe room she could stay in? Or can you arrange a way to x-pen her (if you think she won't go through it or over it while you are gone?

2. Can she go that long without pooping or peeing in the house? Again, a bathroom or other enclosure might solve that problem. She could break her housetraining if she had to, but it would be easy to clean if she is confined to one area with a washable floor. Or could you maybe find someone, perhaps a neighbor, to walk her at lunchtime? Then she could probably stay in the crate in the morning and go back in the crate after her walk.

3. Can she stay out in the house or free with the other dog? NO!! She's still a puppy with the jaws of an adult. She could easily destroy furniture or carpeting or other things and she might also swallow something that could give her a blockage. Even if she is not much of a chewer, if she is at all anxious at being left alone she might destroy something by chewing to relieve her anxiety.
I would not leave her with the other dog either, at this age. She's still young enough to be settling her place with the other dog, even though they have gotten along fine until now. Under those conditions, it is possible a fight could happen, and no one would be there to separate the dogs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are three things you have to consider if you want to leave her for 8 1/2 hours alone.

1. Can she stay that long in a crate? She could, especially if this is a one time deal, but that's an awfully long time. Do you have a bathroom or other safe room she could stay in? Or can you arrange a way to x-pen her (if you think she won't go through it or over it while you are gone?

2. Can she go that long without pooping or peeing in the house? Again, a bathroom or other enclosure might solve that problem. She could break her housetraining if she had to, but it would be easy to clean if she is confined to one area with a washable floor. Or could you maybe find someone, perhaps a neighbor, to walk her at lunchtime? Then she could probably stay in the crate in the morning and go back in the crate after her walk.

3. Can she stay out in the house or free with the other dog? NO!! She's still a puppy with the jaws of an adult. She could easily destroy furniture or carpeting or other things and she might also swallow something that could give her a blockage. Even if she is not much of a chewer, if she is at all anxious at being left alone she might destroy something by chewing to relieve her anxiety.
I would not leave her with the other dog either, at this age. She's still young enough to be settling her place with the other dog, even though they have gotten along fine until now. Under those conditions, it is possible a fight could happen, and no one would be there to separate the dogs.
i understand what your saying about free in the house but she almost never in her crate unless she sleep at night some people on this site stop using crate at about 5 month and some people never use crate. About the fighting with the other dog it a labrador she is not aggresif and they are realy friendly.
I have no carpet and i dont have nothing in the 3 rooms that she got acces that can realy hurt her.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Melbrod has some excellent suggestions.
Some ppl might do this and that with a crate, good for them.
My first dobes I ever owned never got free reign, until 1.5 and 2 years. I had to be absolutely sure, I wasn't coming home to a dead dog, I could never bear that mistake.
Don't underestimate what damage they can do to property or themselves given the right situation.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Odin can sleep in his crate for 8 hours at a time no problem, I cover his crate though. Odin is about 7 months now, I have let him out in the house by himself at the most for 30 min. But I believe that if he was to be out of his crate for 8 hours that he would have an accident. When he was younger I set up x-pen and attached it to his crate and would put down potty pads so that if he really had to go he would go outside of his crate and would have room to stretch and stuff.

·
karma eccelectic
32 Posts
my puppy is 7 weeks old today. she will sleep without a mistake from 9pm to 6 in the am, no problem. Plus, she doesnt whimper the first bit. However, I have had her a week and i am very deliberate in my training. I like the bathroom idea depending on where you live and what you have available. I am building a kennel that has a wind barrier and poop and pee spot which will run down hill and out. however, she cant use it yet, too young for elements and I am not installing heat and air until summer. but even then it is just for days like your going to have tomorrow only longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts