Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Doberman is almost 5 months old and I did what everyone does when you get a puppy....I got fence.
So now I have a 120ft x 120 fenced in back yard and I was all excited to let him go out and play. now though, I'm reading on the internet that might not be teh best idea in th world. I work from home and have a couple of windows in my studio that look out at the yard but I can't really watch him the whole time he's out there.
Is it ok to let him go out and play.....or is it better to just keep him in the house or in the crate?
I thought it would be great for him to get out and excersise while I'm busy.....

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Not knowing the type of neighborhood you are in or the type of fencing you have, makes it difficult to say.

And I KNOW its a bad a idea to leave puppies unsupervised. But in real life we don't always do the most advisable of things. I don't know if this is the best advice, but I can tell you that my fence is dig-proofed and 8' tall and backs on a park. So I feel comfortable leaving the dog door open when I am home so that my puppy can go outside when he pleases. I can see him from the window and check up on him every once in a while as I know that if he is not with me it is because he's in the yard. It has been great for potty training!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neighborhood safety is not an issue. Is it a private street, I've only go one neighbor and am bordered by conservation land.
Thefence is 6 feet high and, depending on the part of the yard, is either iron spikes or chain link.

There's some mulch and plants out there but nothing else that should be too dangerous.
I'm just curious as to whether or not you think he would be happier sitting in his crate, or playing outside.
What is beter for him? Some people say that the dogs love the crate. Others say they love to run and play. I just want to do what's best for him.
Even when he is crated, I go out and play with him for about 15 or 20 minutes every 2 hours. My scheudle is flexible.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I don't like the ideas of a chain leak fence due to the fact that serious injuries have happened to dogs and especially having a puppy I would not have my dog outside alone. I have a 6ft privacy fence in the back yard and Roxy when I am home only has access to the back yard through a doggie door. She is much older than a puppy so I would always caution to keep your eye on the puppy. I would not have the puppy wear any collars while outside. If you are at home I don't see the problem with crating, safest place for dogs and letting him out every 2 hours for a good 20-30 play break.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I personally would never leave a dog outside unsupervised. You'd be surprised how high they can jump when they really want to! Digging is another way they may escape! If you leave the collar on, it could present a choking hazard while unsupervised, but if taken off and they get out of the yard, no one will know where to bring your baby back...

I work during the day, and my dogs have always been either confined to a specific, safe room or crated. I did feel bad about crating my Dobie, but when she aged and was able to be left with run of the house, where did she go? Her crate! That was her den, and she felt safe and comfortable there.

I agree with dobegal -- I would crate, and then provide exercise and bathroom breaks throughout the day instead of leaving it outside alone.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If you are home and can traing/manage the situation IF you hear barking, then I'd try it. However he is young enough to develop some pretty bad backyard habits so that's another reason to cnosider not letting him out unsupervised. Barking and digging are two that come to mind that are PITA to fix once they start.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Neighborhood safety is not an issue. Is it a private street, I've only go one neighbor and am bordered by conservation land.
Thefence is 6 feet high and, depending on the part of the yard, is either iron spikes or chain link.

There's some mulch and plants out there but nothing else that should be too dangerous.
I'm just curious as to whether or not you think he would be happier sitting in his crate, or playing outside.
What is beter for him? Some people say that the dogs love the crate. Others say they love to run and play. I just want to do what's best for him.
Even when he is crated, I go out and play with him for about 15 or 20 minutes every 2 hours. My scheudle is flexible.
thanks!
What would you rather do, play outside or sit in a crate? I hate crates. My dogs have always been loose in the house when I am home. They were confined in a large crate only when we were gone, and for a maximum of five hours at a time. By the age of six months they were no longer crated. Ever. Nor did they have any desire to hang out in their crates, once released.

I don't like "crates." They're cages, that's what they are. When I was growing up my parents never kept dogs in "crates" and everything worked out just fine. It's one thing when they are serving a purpose, such as assisting with potty training or keeping a puppy safe. But people use them beyond that, and it's mainly for owner convenience, not for any benefit to the dog. I've seen some terrible abuses, too, beautiful dogs living out their lives languishing in a cage. Disgusting.

Just my opinion, and my dogs thank me for it.

As for playing outside, I'd just check on him frequently. My concerns would be someone coming along and messing with him, but you'd probably know because he'd bark. Getting loose would be a worry, unless you've taken all precautions. Also, eating harmful plants. My dogs have never done that, they eat grass like crazy, but they seem to know which kind is okay to eat. I do get rid of any mushrooms that start growing in the yard, just in case.

Reactions: Dictator

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
The "iron spikes" description concerns me.

If you had a privacy fence I'd say have at it but, as Adara mentioned, listen closely. Digging and barking are hard habits to break and it's easier to keep them from starting these behaviors if yo're watching them.

Is letting him lose in the house an option? Perhaps you could baby-gate him into a small section where you could supervise while you work or tie him to a desk via long lead. My mom works from home and did that (long lead) with Dreizehn until she discovered that he was happy just laying by her desk and chewing on a toy.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Actually, I'd just keep him loose in the house, not crated. Then let him out once in a while when you take a break from work. Have a play session midday.

Yard or house, but not the crate. That's my vote. Keep him in your studio while you work. Once he gets used to the routine he will probably learn to nap while you work, rather than bother you. :D

On warm days I leave a sliding door open to the back yard so all the animals, dogs and cats, can come and go as they please (when I am home, that is). My six-foot fence is cat proofed, even the cats can't get out, and it is purposely not privacy fence, it is black chain link, so they can see the world. If the dogs start barking too much, they have to come in, though.

Reactions: Dictator

·
Super Moderator
21,684 Posts
If he's not a digger, jumper, barker, or object eater, then I think it's okay to have him outside for a short time alone, as long as you are supervising/checking on him from indoors. I actually wish Shanoa was better at being a little independent outside. She thinks she can't be outside unless I am. Simon, on the other hand, loves to sit and sunbathe in the yard. He can be out while I'm in the house, and I just check out the window frequently to be sure he's okay. But I'm 100% certain he won't jump the fence, dig under it, bark at the neighbors, or ingest anything he shouldn't.

Maybe start with 10 minutes of him outside alone. Give him something good to do - maybe a nice, thick bully stick. Then, watch him out the window (where he can't see you), and make sure he does well. If he's good, you can slowly up the time he's outside.

Reactions: KCFilley and Adara

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
Personally, my dobe will bark her ass off, if I go into the house for even a pee break, unless I tell her...Dad will be right back.
- and if 2 minutes turns into 4 or 5...she tells me...loud & clear, at the side door

My dobe is unsupervised outside, most of the time...and not even a fence to control her whereabouts.
But she is 100% rock solid distraction trained & guaranteed to stay off the paved road.
^^^^ She has learned much, because we are practically glued at the hip and almost inseparable.

It would never-ever occur to me, to leave my dog outside...while Dad sits in the house.
When I am outside, AMY is outside / when I am inside, AMY is inside / when I am driving my 4x4 truck, AMY is in the back of my extended cab.
- it brings me the utmost pleasure, that she can't live or function without me...and for that true gift, she is completely included in my entire life...almost 24/7....every day

One cannot train or mentor a dobe, that is not by the owners side...that is where they belong, instead of bored outside and longing for their human.
Superpete
- do what you want / and what YOU do, daily now...will determine the final quality of your young dobe & the happiness he/she brings to your life
- and BTW...my girl has total house freedoms...and a cage, is unacceptable to her / she goes and does what she wants, while she ends up beside me

·
joie de vivre
11,246 Posts
If he's not a digger, jumper, barker, or object eater, then I think it's okay to have him outside for a short time alone, as long as you are supervising/checking on him from indoors. I actually wish Shanoa was better at being a little independent outside. She thinks she can't be outside unless I am. Simon, on the other hand, loves to sit and sunbathe in the yard. He can be out while I'm in the house, and I just check out the window frequently to be sure he's okay. But I'm 100% certain he won't jump the fence, dig under it, bark at the neighbors, or ingest anything he shouldn't.

Maybe start with 10 minutes of him outside alone. Give him something good to do - maybe a nice, thick bully stick. Then, watch him out the window (where he can't see you), and make sure he does well. If he's good, you can slowly up the time he's outside.
Ditto for my house. Fiona will go outside but then punch the backdoor when I don't go with her. If I do follow her outside she just noses around the yard, checking in with me occasionally, but she won't do it if I'm not out there. Tali loves to lay in the yard and sunbathe and she couldn't care less if no one else is out with her.

I created the problem with Fiona because she would roll rocks around in her mouth and I was always afraid she was going to swallow or choke on one. So as a pup she was supervised outside pretty much 100% of the time and now I don't think it occurs to her she could probably have fun outdoors without me. And she and Tali aren't allowed in the yard together unsupervised, so again, I'm there. I think I'll always go outside with Fiona for the rest of her life or I risk her punching and breaking the glass in the back door. LOL

So, yes, OP. If you can safely send your puppy to entertain themselves in the backyard for a bit each day I would definitely do that! :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
it brings me the utmost pleasure, that she can't live or function without me...and for that true gift, she is completely included in my entire life...almost 24/7....every day
She can't be crated. She can't be at the vet's office. She can't anything unless you are right there. This brings you "the utmost pleasure that she can't live or function without" you? This is a gift? To whom? Not to your dog, certainly.

Amy's brother was similar to this, and - although maybe it is an ego rush to be the whole reason for living for another being - I do not talk about this with pride (as you do), but as a shortcoming on my part that I didn't do a better job of helping him to develop more independence.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
However he is young enough to develop some pretty bad backyard habits so that's another reason to cnosider not letting him out unsupervised. Barking and digging are two that come to mind that are PITA to fix once they start.
And, peeling the bark off the trees and eating the landscaping and removing the siding from the house LOL! Yes, HUGE PITA to fix!

I would allow this pup outside access, always keeping an ear and eye half-trained on the yard. I would also find as many acceptable alternatives as possible to occupy time, as well. A whole raw steer femur bone. A gallon milk jug of water with a handful of kibble, treats, bits of string cheese and hot dog, blueberries, etc. and whatever else you can think of... freeze, cut the plastic jug off, toss the gallon chunk of ice and treats outside (the puppy will have to pee extra on ice block days... be warned!). A bunch of safe toys. A kiddie pool. The more stuff you can provide that a puppy can do, the less stuff the puppy will do that you'd rather it not.

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
mmctaq - I don't make a big distinction, between how I raised my one child (decades ago) or a current dog:
- either one is welcomed to sit on the leather couch, without permission first
- if I hold the side door open, for my infant child to exit...I don't need to go out first, and neither does my dog
- if my young child was outside for 2 hours, well Dad would have to be outside to
- and Yes, both sleep on a human bed

^^^^ Training is training, whether it is 2 legged or 4...and love is love...I can't change my feelings & its NOT an ego thing.
- my dobe is nothing short of a true family member, and I make no bones about it, an equal
Lets just say, my son is now in his late 20's and still visits often, because he wants to.
- and that brings me pleasure & pride, as does the care I give my dobe

BTW, I bought a kennel property, 7 years ago...and shut it down when I got the ownership keys.
- my Vet thanked me, when he heard...the number of sick dogs, coming in was horrid
- co-workers asked me why i didn't run the business...LOL...confinement or bored isolation inside or outside, don't work for me

My dobe(s) do not want to stay seperated from me, for 2 hours at a time...I can't fathom the anxiety or bad habits, it would cause.
- so I try to create the win-win instead / and the manners & humanized intelligence I seek
And when AMY protected my wife from a "red zone" larger dog attack once, just maybe a more independence dober with less heart strings attached...would have reacted differently - and both came home, without a scratch.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
And when AMY protected my wife from a "red zone" larger dog attack once, just maybe a more independence dober with less heart strings attached...would have reacted differently.
- and both came home, without a scratch
This situation, I think, is better attributed to your dog's breed more so than how you've raised her.
Edit for elaboration: My dog can function awesomely without me be it at the vet, boarding, or just crated while I go out and have a social life and yet he will still step between me and a shady individual and protect me as necessary. Further, I think that it's quite rude to insinuate (which you've done all over the forums) that a dog who has been trained to be somewhat independent and/or crated loves it's owner less.

She can't be crated. She can't be at the vet's office. She can't anything unless you are right there. This brings you "the utmost pleasure that she can't live or function without" you? This is a gift? To whom? Not to your dog, certainly.

Amy's brother was similar to this, and - although maybe it is an ego rush to be the whole reason for living for another being - I do not talk about this with pride (as you do), but as a shortcoming on my part that I didn't do a better job of helping him to develop more independence.
This is so well put.
Beaumont, what happens if you die? Are you okay with how much Amy will suffer if, for some reason, you disappear?
Because what you consider to be a true gift could be this dog's downfall - and it would be a quite painful one at that.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Can you set up a table outside to work? I have a big fenced in yard but I still don't allow my dogs out there alone, eventhough I live in a great neighborhood. I'm kinda weird about that LOL
I take my laptop outside and sit under the pergola while they play, sunbathe or gnarl on a bone.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Can you set up a table outside to work? I have a big fenced in yard but I still don't allow my dogs out there alone, eventhough I live in a great neighborhood. I'm kinda weird about that LOL
I take my laptop outside and sit under the pergola while they play, sunbathe or gnarl on a bone.
This is an awesome idea.
I have a covered area outside and some chairs so when it's not too ridiculously hot I'll sit out there to study while the dogs play and lounge around. It's annoying at first because they want to be all over whatever I"m doing but once they figure out that I'm being boring (about 5-10 min) they start to do their own thing.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Beaumont, what happens if you die? Are you okay with how much Amy will suffer if, for some reason, you disappear?
Because what you consider to be a true gift could be this dog's downfall - and it would be a quite painful one at that.
I can't speak for Amy (although I could make a guess), but Amy's brother tried to bleed to death when he was hospitalized and I was absent. His cardiologist was pretty sure she could turn things around for him and that we could have more time, and probably we could have if he hadn't tried to bleed out from the stress of my not being there for him. I would give anything at all if I would have known that I should have taught him that it was just fine if I wasn't always there. He was the single finest animal I have ever known, and I would have done anything to have had just a few more days or weeks with him. I believe that his dependency cost him that possibility, which is something I do not ever intend to forget.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts