Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I can do or give to help correct flat feet? Paws look ok in shape, but she sits down on them like a GSD. This is for a 10 weeks old pup.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I've always been a firm believer in keeping toe nails really short and that will help keep feet nice and tight. As well Vit C makes a big difference.

I am not for giving calcium supplements.. but I've always been told make sure your dog is getting plenty of it. Maybe try cottage cheese or yogurt.

Also supposedly being on gravel tightens their feet. I've heard this from older people in the dog world. Taking them for a walk on gravel or throw the ball of gravel. I've heard limestone for whatever reason makes the biggest difference. Dunno... I've heard at least three Judges say this. Take that for what it's worth, may work, may be a old wise tale.

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
Also supposedly being on gravel tightens their feet. I've heard this from older people in the dog world. Taking them for a walk on gravel or throw the ball of gravel. I've heard limestone for whatever reason makes the biggest difference. Dunno... I've heard at least three Judges say this. Take that for what it's worth, may work, may be a old wise tale.
I've heard the same thing about sand tightening feet. Does the puppy have long toes? Are they splayed? Is she down in the pasterns?
Sometimes there's nothing you can do if it's a structural issue.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am hoping to help them a little. Her toes don't seem overlong, but flat feet are pretty common from her lines. She is a little down in the pasterns. She was on concrete/pavement for the first 10 weeks so I am hoping that contributed to the flatness. I have also heard the gravel. I might have to make a gravel path just to work on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I am hoping to help them a little. Her toes don't seem overlong, but flat feet are pretty common from her lines. She is a little down in the pasterns. She was on concrete/pavement for the first 10 weeks so I am hoping that contributed to the flatness. I have also heard the gravel. I might have to make a gravel path just to work on this.

Thanks!
Just for thought... I have a area of my yard out the back door, that's normally muddy b/c of all the traffic. So we put in big landscape stone, like flagstone, that's actually limestone. Then between the large rocks, I used a gravel type rock. Fixed the mud issue and gives the dogs that gravel area (doing assuming it actually helps), and it actually looks nice.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I know some people will give prenatal vitamins, but I'm no expert in nutrition and I know (like olddrum said) giving supplements isn't always the best idea, so it would be important to look into how it would effect their diet.

Not necessarily recommending, but adding what I know has given results for other people for the sake of discussion.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I've seen puppies go down on their paws as a reaction to being cropped, and just as part of a growth stage in an older puppy. In both of these situations, time itself solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What kind of feet do the parents of this 10 wk old puppy have or any grandparents...?? Flat feet can be an inherited structural thing...
At 10 wks it could be like you said on to much cement flooring...That will break down a growing pups feet and pads...Can the puppy get to an area of grass?
Also vit c is good as Old Drum Said...and it is pretty safe, as what the body doesn't utilize will be excreted in the urine....
What kind of dog food are you feeding? Try a large breed puppy formula of good quality...It is formulated for growing large breeds...and has the proper calcium, phospherous, etc, for growing bones...Supplementing with calcium, etc is not a good idea unless you talk to a vet nutritionist first...good luck.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of feet do the parents of this 10 wk old puppy have or any grandparents...?? Flat feet can be an inherited structural thing...
At 10 wks it could be like you said on to much cement flooring...That will break down a growing pups feet and pads...Can the puppy get to an area of grass?
Also vit c is good as Old Drum Said...and it is pretty safe, as what the body doesn't utilize will be excreted in the urine....
What kind of dog food are you feeding? Try a large breed puppy formula of good quality...It is formulated for growing large breeds...and has the proper calcium, phospherous, etc, for growing bones...Supplementing with calcium, etc is not a good idea unless you talk to a vet nutritionist first...good luck.
The mother has fair feet, the father good feet. The mother is a little down in the pasterns as well. The puppy now has lots of grass/dirt but was on concrete at the breeder's house. So far I am feeding TOTW with some raw meals too.

I am going to try some vit c and gravel and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I have absolutely seen puppies that have flat feet from being on concrete and when moved to a natural surface their feet almost instantly improve to what they should be genetically. (in whippets, not dobermans)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Just for thought... I have a area of my yard out the back door, that's normally muddy b/c of all the traffic. So we put in big landscape stone, like flagstone, that's actually limestone. Then between the large rocks, I used a gravel type rock. Fixed the mud issue and gives the dogs that gravel area (doing assuming it actually helps), and it actually looks nice.
Ali, can you take a picture and post. I could use something like that in an area of our back yard. Or send it to me however.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Running on sand or loose dirt like in plowed farmer fields may be other options too to help stregthen the muscles.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Guilty's left front foot was down from months 4-6. She had plenty of exercise on grass and loved in my carpeted house. I gave her vit c but I don't know if it helped any. She now has lovely tight feet. For her, it was just a growth stage.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I need to resurrect an old thread here, needing some advice. I let one of my puppies go to her new home five days ago. The puppy was eating ProPlan Focus puppy food and her feet were really tight, and the rest of the litter is the same way. Well, I saw her today to post her ears for the new owner and went to stack her and her feet are very flat. She had switched her to raw diet, and I immediately thought too much protein, but looking at the protein level on this raw, the protein is very low and the fat is very low. Now I'm wondering, is she not getting enough protein and fat? The ProPlan is 28 per cent protein and 18 per cent fat and this raw puppy mix is only 20 per cent protein and 12 per cent fat. What do you all think?

Reactions: Q734

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Is it a premade raw? What brand?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Some of it is Blue Ridge Beef Puppy Mix and she is also getting Tripe and Venison and Quail all with ten per cent bone.
She also gets pieces of chicken breast with bone.

Reactions: Q734

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
is she teething?

kinda quick for the diet change to affect her feet I would think, as you said it happened in 5 days.

some pups feet do go a little flat or loose when teething, but return to the way they were before, after teething.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
is she teething?

kinda quick for the diet change to affect her feet I would think, as you said it happened in 5 days.

some pups feet do go a little flat or loose when teething, but return to the way they were before, after teething.
Yes, but my puppies' feet aren't flat, now I'm thinking it might be the changes she's gone through. Plus at nine weeks they wouldn't be teething yet. But thank you!

Reactions: Darkevs and Q734
1 - 20 of 31 Posts