Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a 3.5 year old neutered aussie mix. I really would like a male dobe puppy which would be neutered pretty early in life. Is it ok to have these two males or do you think there'd still be a big same sex aggression problem?

edit:
Also, when Baby went to doggy day care his best buddy was a male doberman, not that, that really means anything but still... and despite always trying to hump other dogs at the park he's pretty laid back and gets the picture pretty quickly if it ain't gonna happen. He'd rather walk away from a fight.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
It depends on the dogs - they may be fine, they might not there is no way to predict whether they will be OK or not once the dobe puppy matures between 2-3 years of age. My males get along but Pete was adopted at 6 years old and has no male issues. A friend of mine had 2 males get along great for years until one day they decided they don't like each other anymore.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I agree that two males can be successfully kept together, but this is not an easy task and you should be prepared for a life of constant supervision and crate/rotate. It is a risk that most people are not willing to take because this wouldn't be a great life for either dog, not to mention many reputable breeders and rescues will not sell/adopt a male to you if you have other males in the home.

It also might be good for you to look into the effects of neutering early. There has been some debate, but it is thought to cause bone problems later in life. Our breeder recommends dogs sold on neuter contract keep dogs intact until at least 12-18 months of age to let them physically mature before fixing them.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
You'd be playing with luck... is it worth risking the well-being ofyour aussie?

Keep in mine that no reputable breeder will sell you a male puply woth a male dog already in the household.

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
I currently have a 3.5 year old neutered aussie mix. I really would like a male dobe puppy which would be neutered pretty early in life. Is it ok to have these two males or do you think there'd still be a big same sex aggression problem?

edit:
Also, when Baby went to doggy day care his best buddy was a male doberman, not that, that really means anything but still... and despite always trying to hump other dogs at the park he's pretty laid back and gets the picture pretty quickly if it ain't gonna happen. He'd rather walk away from a fight.
Although I keep multiple males and NEVER EVER recommend that other people try doing the same thing there are a number of things to consider if you are even thinking about trying to do this.

I've had a half century of experience with intact male Dobermans and read dogs pretty well--and I have the advantage of often raising a male puppy for a breeder friend who has people like me foster pups sometimes when she is trying to make a final decision about which of two puppies she is going to keep. I've raised some puppies that could fit well into the existing pack (even though it was all male) and some that didn't--when I had a vacancy I have kept a puppy if they were a good fit and have sent others back to the breeder when they hit six months if they weren't a good fit.

There are some breeds that can co-exist with anything and any breed very well--Aussies are pretty much one of those breeds. Even though I've met a few that were agressive toward other dogs the majority of them are not. As a breed and as working herders they are often used in packs of multiple dogs for herding purposes--so the breed tendency is life and let live.

My Australian Shepherd was an intact male who lived with other intact males (all Dobermans) all of his nearly 13 years. Dobe puppies pestered him to death and he was tolerant and long suffering with them. Some of the adult males were grumpy if stressed or tired and the Aussie was smart enough to avoid them when that was the case. While I had him I occasionally dog sat for an Aussie breeder--the dogs I took were always intact males--from puppies to four or five year old dogs--they moved in and it was as if they had always lived with my pack.

If you are going to try to deal with two males and one of them is an Australian Shepherd I think you've got a pretty fair chance of success. If you start with a Dobe puppy and the breeder you get him from is breeding fairly mellow dogs (there are some lines around that really are more suited for trying to deal with a two male household) it's quite possible that you'd be successful. There are, of course, no sure bets and you'd have to be very aware of interaction between the two dogs. But it happens to be something that I've done and it was very successful.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
What would you do if it didnt work out? Would you be ok crating and rotating for years? Personally I couldn't do it and wouldn't risk it. Others don't mind so much though. That's the question I'd ask myself. The odds aer not in you favor overall, but yes it "can" work with a LOT of work.

I have only been around 10 Aussie males closely and mostly not well bred with average owners. The majority were not good with other males. So maybe these were not the norm?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your experience and opinions.

And thanks a lot to dobebug, my guy is pretty easy-going and if he doesn't feel like dealing with a dog he just walks away. I've never seen him get into an actual fight.

Regardless of the gender, I will never be leaving my dogs unsupervised, they'll go in their crates when I leave the house or in separate bedrooms.

If I do have problems? My aussie can live with one of my siblings no problem (we all live near by each other). The doberman is going to be my service dog if all goes well so I'm looking for relaxed dogs anyway

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
edit:

Dynamics at home can be totally different than out in public on neutral territory. A friend of mine has two female dogs, one pit bull and one corgi mix. When they are out in public playing they are totally fine, when they are in the house the corgi literally wants to kill the pit bull and it would be a blood bath so they are forever crated and rotated inside. They used to cuddle with each other.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts

And thanks a lot to dobebug, my guy is pretty easy-going and if he doesn't feel like dealing with a dog he just walks away. I've never seen him get into an actual fight.

Regardless of the gender, I will never be leaving my dogs unsupervised, they'll go in their crates when I leave the house or in separate bedrooms.

If I do have problems? My aussie can live with one of my siblings no problem (we all live near by each other). The doberman is going to be my service dog if all goes well so I'm looking for relaxed dogs anyway

Male dobe puppy and relaxed don't really fit in the same sentence together, lol :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

The problem really is... a dobe pup isn't just going to let your other dog walk away. It will be a nonstop constant badgering for play.

Also, you may not find out there is an issue until your dobe is 3 and a half and you run to the store for 20 minutes and come back to a dog with half is leg ripped off (this happened to a friend recently and the injured dog was in fact a really mellow aussie though the offender was not a dobe). Dogs that totally loved each other can turn in an instant.

Are you really so dead set on having a male that you'd be willing to risk the health and safety of your current dog?

Yes... it *can* work... but you have NO guarantees. For me I would never put Whiskey at risk by subjecting him to living with another male. If I get another dog it will be female because I don't want to risk having to crate and rotate them for the rest of their lives or alternately, rehome one.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've never had first hand experience with it - but I've read enough threads on it here that I wouldn't risk it if it were me. I would hate the crate-and-rotate (just not for me) and I'd also hate to have to someday be forced choose between the two and heaven forbid I'd never forgive myself if they got into a fight. I'm too tired tonight to scour the search for links, but there are definitely some good threads about this.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If it doesn't work out the Aussie will go to a new home? I don't think that's quite fair. He was there first. You're just going to trade him in for the new toy?

A dog is a life-time commitment... your dogs depend on you. Sure, at least it's a friend and not a completely new home but still... that's terrible.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
If you start with a Dobe puppy and the breeder you get him from is breeding fairly mellow dogs (there are some lines around that really are more suited for trying to deal with a two male household) it's quite possible that you'd be successful.
Good luck.
Just wondering/curious if anyone has any examples of breeders/lines that one would consider more 'mellow'. It was a big consideration for me going from a 'working' line to a 'show' line..... I've seen a lot of characteristics that are the same as my last 'working' male.....and some that I do notice to be gentler/less drivey. I'm all ears to hear about more mellow lines....
Just for interests sake.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Hmm well I'll be honest and say I think that's not very fair or the right thing to do. It sounds as if he'll just be tossed aside and you may not mean it that way at all. But that's what it sounds like.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm well I'll be honest and say I think that's not very fair or the right thing to do. It sounds as if he'll just be tossed aside and you may not mean it that way at all. But that's what it sounds like.
Same thing with miswording. Baby is my best friend, I don't take lightly to abandonment of my best friend. I do need a service dog though. But it's my hope and best intention there will not be any issues and if there are I will exhaust my choices until making that decision.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The problem really is... a dobe pup isn't just going to let your other dog walk away. It will be a nonstop constant badgering for play.

Also, you may not find out there is an issue until your dobe is 3 and a half and you run to the store for 20 minutes and come back to a dog with half is leg ripped off (this happened to a friend recently and the injured dog was in fact a really mellow aussie though the offender was not a dobe). Dogs that totally loved each other can turn in an instant.

Are you really so dead set on having a male that you'd be willing to risk the health and safety of your current dog?

Yes... it *can* work... but you have NO guarantees. For me I would never put Whiskey at risk by subjecting him to living with another male. If I get another dog it will be female because I don't want to risk having to crate and rotate them for the rest of their lives or alternately, rehome one.
I don't understanding why all of you are jumping to the conclusion that I'm some horrible owner and am willing to dump one dog for another, that I don't value my dog's life. Why would I be on here asking if it's possible if I didn't give a rat's a*. Also, as I said in my first post or maybe second the dogs will never be left unattended, they will be crated or separated by room. And despite that my dobie is going to be my service dog (assuming it all works out) and will be going everywhere with me instead of just chilling at home.

I'm more than willing to go with female, male just happened to be my first choice.
I'm kind of insulted by many of the posts claiming I don't value my friend's life.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I don't understanding why all of you are jumping to the conclusion that I'm some horrible owner and am willing to dump one dog for another, that I don't value my dog's life. Why would I be on here asking if it's possible if I didn't give a rat's a*. Also, as I said in my first post or maybe second the dogs will never be left unattended, they will be crated or separated by room. And despite that my dobie is going to be my service dog (assuming it all works out) and will be going everywhere with me instead of just chilling at home.

I'm more than willing to go with female, male just happened to be my first choice.
I'm kind of insulted by many of the posts claiming I don't value my friend's life.
You don't see why some people are jumping to conclusions?

You know about the male/male aggression yet ask about it anyways. Ok.. no big deal...
But, when people ask you what you'll do if problems arise you say, "If I do have problems? My aussie can live with one of my siblings no problem."

You don't say, until your most recent post that I"m quoting, that you're more than willing to get a female, you just say that rehoming your aussie will be "no problem" so OF COURSE some people are jumping to conclusions that you're a "horrible owner." You made it easy.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts