Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking this question because sometime when my mom or dad walk his dog she also take my dog for walk. It is good if they do that or the dog can think that my mom or dad are her new master ?

She listen to us 3 pretty well.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I guess I'd have to know your definition of master to accurately answer this but I"m inclined to say yes.

Dogs can love and listen to more than one person.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'd have to know your definition of master to accurately answer this but I"m inclined to say yes.

Dogs can love and listen to more than one person.
My definition it like you said. Can she love and listen to more than one person.

Edit : Can she start not listen to me.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Absolutely yes, a Doberman can love and listen to more than one person. We have two, and each might have their favorite (mostly the person has their favorite, not so much the dogs) but they love and listen equally well. Both dogs can be instructed, comforted, snuggled, exercised, trained, etc... By either. We have our "preferences" the dogs don't seem to. Not too say we don't love them both equally, but in realitity it's more human preference than dog preference.

Gawd, that sounds bad to say out loud... Like loving one kid more than the other....

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
I recently read that dogs can have more than one handler, but should only have one trainer. (Which means that you would do the teaching, but more than one person can walk her or give her commands.) I don't know if that's true or not - but it shouldn't hurt your relationship with the dog if someone else walks her. Just make sure that you spend time with her on a regular basis & are consistant.
Kate

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yes, both of my dogs love my 95 year old Mother who lives with us. I could be wrong but I think the boys are maybe a little more one person than the girls are. Rex loves my Mother but is my dog, Tara will pick which ever bedroom has the heat up the highest on a cold winter night.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My wife and I have had dobes for +21 years, from 8 week old puppies.
- our son was 4 years old when the first one died and we didn't get another one till he was 18, and 3-4 years later, he moved out after College
In our house, this Dad is the pack leader (b/c I am the formal OB trainer) and our dobe listens to my wife and son, extremely well, just as good as me.
So Dad could be the slight favorite, as she watches me like a hawk...eyes focused on me a lot..and whines for me or won't sleep & seems restless, if I'm out.
- my wife has picked up my doggy training & communication style mannerisms, so our girl will easily listen to both of us equally

Our Amy even protected my wife from a dog bite attack (years ago)...but since I am the trainer and built up her prey drive & confidence...I always wondered, if the dog thinks I could or should protect myself or her, for that matter...(LOL)...which I would, but how quickly would her instincts kick in, if Dad was getting attacked...(??)
- now my son never learned my training style, but Amy listens to him equally well
^^^^ Our girl, has had 3 masters, now it is just Mom & Dad at home, but when our son comes over to visit, Amy and him...picks up where they left off.
- she loves us all equally, but "Dad the trainer" made her "Daddy's little girl"

Your father walking you dobe, is very nice...Roxy will always listen, to you...the exercise schedule, with a parent, is of little or no consequence...in your role
- our son can be gone for a month, and the moment he steps foot in the house, Amy has her boy back (big brother)
- and our girl still acts the very same around the wife and I, always has & always will...Yes, she has more than one master, in the family unit
Dobes love those members, that love them back !!

·
Registered
595 Posts
My girls were always Daddys Girls when it came to evening couch time, or being fed or going to bed. But if they were not well, they came to me, if they wanted walks, they came to me, Training was done by me. We always felt equally loved and obeyed. But sometimes I felt like the Dobie got more attention then I did, in fact she did. ;)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Bacchus halfway listens to my son. He won't run agility with him either. He goes through the motions on the course constantly looking for me. Not a pretty sight. Bacchus has one person......me. Everyone else is irrelevant in his world.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think dogs are capable of listening to more than one person, but they bond more fully to one person. I spend a lot more time with my dogs than my boyfriend does, and while they listen to him, they don't respond with the same *snap* as they do with me. When my boyfriend asks Sonya to lay down, she'll look at him and debate it, but her training wins out. When I point to the ground, without saying a word, she immediately drops. She is always watching me, from the time I get up to the moment I tell her it's bedtime. As soon as she hears me moving around, she's on my left side, waiting for a cue. She lives to please her humans, but she is 100% bonded to me. She listens to others because she knows she has to, but she's a one-person dog.

It's very likely that Atlas will be the same way because I'm a constant in his life. My boyfriend works out of town and he's gone for at least 2 weeks at a time. I've already warned him not to feel bad if he comes home and Atlas is very questionable about him. Sonya knows Cody, but Atlas doesn't and it's very possible he'll be suspicious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts