Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have done lots of looking around on the internet for Dobe breeders and it gets a bit overwhelming. Also everyone, according to their websites, breed the best Dobes in the world.

Is anyone out there really happy with your breeder? I want a happy healthy dog, not necessarily show quality, but one that I know will be sound. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the help.

cc:help_up_2

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Well i Don't know where you are from...but Duchess's breeder was great except the fact that my mom and her got in a little argument and dont talk anymore...It's part of coco's story...he is a stressed dog...and was loosing hair on his legs and around his eyes...we took him to the vet both holistic and a traditional vet and they both said its allergies and not to worry about it. He started to loose the fur and have irritation in the spring...and sure enough it has gone away now that it is winter...well we use to take our dogs to her training facility which is GREAT! but one day she was commenting on coco's condition and was saying she is willing to bet that it was mange...but we told her our holistic vet and traditional vet said it was allergies and they both didnt even bring up that it might be mange...so then while our breeder was going on and on about it being mange and to dump our holistic vet another girl jumped in that goes there all the time...so we just walked out! lol Anyways she has beautiful great dogs and everyone from around here knows her dogs and she was there the whole way through for us ...we went to her training facility every week for puppy class...and she always re-taped the ears...she has a person fly in to crop the ears...and she gets the dogs together after a week that they have gone home and she takes the stitches out....meanwhile she had us pick out a AKC name...and was there to answer every question and she shows all her dogs...she has the studs...and they have plenty of awards...im not familiar with how many is good or which ones...She tests for health and gives you all the results for what they were tested for etc...I really wish we still "could" go to her training facility...it has awesome agility! obedience..show confromation...classes...etc...but she just didnt understand that it was allergies...and that both the vets said that! Coco is just a poor lab lol that is scared and stressed about people...poor baby has allergies and was said to be allergies by both types of vets and she didnt understand that. ...again were in the Illinois area...sorry this was so long...I just thought you should know why we got mad at her...and no longer keep in touch.

·
Super Moderator
15,570 Posts
Check out the sticky at the top of this forum :tongue23: Since you are looking for a "dog" i assume you want an adult male, so maybe a rescue would be another option (often breeders will have non-stud or brood adults too). Visit the www.dpca.org breeder reference page, and remember more than likely you will have a long drive/flight to the breeder you are looking for. I think you are in the right direction though. It is adviseable to stay away from "newspaper" breeders and puppy producers. When talking with breeders do not ask the question "...so how much?" right off the bat as it is a tad offensive. look to see if the breeder is really dedicated to breeding and is not looking to make any sort of profit from the pups. He should not necessarily be heavily involved in showing, but any sort of activity that he regularly participates in should show his dedication to the breed --that he strives to refine and move the breed forward. Good luck : )

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located. But my step sister's Mother is a breeder in Ontario, Canada. She's been breeding for 30yrs now I believe. I'd be more then happy to pass along my sister's e-mail in a PM if you are interested at all and want to ask any questions. If not it's okay ;) Just thought I'd toss that out there.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Where are you located and how far are you willing to travel... I would assume you would like to see the puppies and the breeder before deciding on one...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luv My Bruno
He's quite a looker. did you get him from your step sisters mom. If he is half as sweet as he is handsome you are very lucky
cc

·
Registered
953 Posts
Codysmom said:
Luv My Bruno
He's quite a looker. did you get him from your step sisters mom. If he is half as sweet as he is handsome you are very lucky
cc
Bruno is from my Sister's female. Which is from her Mother ;)

Bruno is very well behaved. I have no complaints yet at all. I was very hessitant before getting him. I wasn't a doberman lover at all. Until I saw my sister's puppies and went home for weeks and read up on the breed. Till I fell in love and picked the best puppy I could have ever asked for!! :D

My sister would be able to answer more of your questions, or any interest you have. If you were interested. I can pm her e-mail to you. Of course you don't have to go her. But just to see what the blood line is they offer. They of course know more about breeding then I do ;)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody. on Friday we are getting interviewed by DAR&E (the local Doberman Assistance Rescue & Education group) for a rescue dobe. we have decided that we will keep looking for the right breeder, but in the meantime we will continue with our original plans of adding a rescue dobe to the family. These folks are great - all the dobes go to foster home - no pounds - they get to be with people all the time so they don't go nuts. I will let you know how it goes, they have lots of beauties to choose from.

but please keep the breeder info coming. we are still going to get a pup, but want to be real confident in the breeder.

thanks
cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we are in the DC area. I have no problem with getting a dobe pretty much anywhere in the US or Canada. My husband is in Denver a lot and family is up in Calgary and Boston. so it's pretty easy for us to get around. I don't like the idea of a pup being shipped, but if we go pick up it will still be small enough to get on the plane with us - or have a great chance to gt used to riding in the car.

cc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good for you for getting a rescue and wanting to be really confident about your breeder. if only everyone put as much thought into a new pet as you do :3dbiggrin
There is a high chance that you probly are going to have to go out of your area to find a good breeder. the best way to meet breeders is to go to a dog show. when you're looking at all the different websites Avoid anyone who says they breed large, king size, warlock, white, or anything else that is a deveation from the standard. a good breeder understands that they are breeding purebreed dogs and will stick as much to the standard as possible, its their wholy grail in a way. also avoid anyone that says they will breed what you want or that they breed when others want them. feel free to message the breeders your interseted in, they should be more then willing to answer your questions. and remember that an AKC registration is just a piece of paper not a gaurentee of quality.
Good luck in your search! hopefully the rescue accepts you and you'll be bringing a new baby to the forum.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
animalcraker
thanks for taking the time to respond. I have been to a couple of local club shows and the folks there were less than welcoming. For a while I thought my husband and I were radioactive. we followed the rules and didn't try to speak to any folks who were showing until the show was over, and we really got the cold shoulder. so I am sure I will have to look outside the DC area, but that's fine. Who among us wouldn't go to the ends of the earth for our dobes?

Believe me the folks here are WAY nicer than those other dobe owners.

cc

·
Registered
26 Posts
i completely agree with you the poeple here are way nicer than many at the show rings. i'm sure none of the competitors mean any offense by blowing you off. it's just that were all moving at such a fast pace no one wants to take the time to talk with someone they dont even know. it may be best to indroduce yourself to a breeder online. the Dpca has a list of breeders and their website. this way the breeder is in a better mood when they respond and they know your serious since you took the time to e-mail them.

when it comes to finding breeders at shows i kinda break the rules a bit, lol. the first thing i do when i get to a show is find out what ring my breed is in. then i go to the ring next to it and just watch the competitors and sorta case the joint, lol. i look at how the handlers act to eachother and whats at the end of their leash, then i sort of rate then in the order i want to talk to them. i don't like to wait till after they show since they like to run off if they didnt win. so i aproach each one politely with the understanding that they may shoe me away till after the show. sorry i got kinda long winded, lol. hopefully you find the breeder of your dreams. keep looking till you find one, they are out there somewhere. :cheeseygr

·
Registered
36 Posts
We got both our dogs in Alberta. One came from close to Edmonton and the other was in between Edmonton and Calgary.

Here is the website for Rudy's breeder, he was co-breed meaning two kennels were involved and they are two of the top kennels in Alberta:

http://www.geocities.com/trymine1/
http://www.mainwynd.com/

there are more links at both sites to breeders that are in Calgary. :)

Good luck in your search :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dobified:
I wish I had know before the holidays, we were in Calgary over christmas - My husband is from Calgary his family all live in Strathmore! I will defintely check them out. I love it up there (including all my in-laws) and we are always looking for good excuses to go back.
cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Luv my Bruno
I would love to get in contact with your step sisters mom (step audnt?) about her pups. I also got a couple of leads on breeders in Alberta (that's were my husband is from and they all still live just out of Calgary).
thanks
cc

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love the breeder we got our girls from, and plan on getting another from her when that time comes. Her name is Suzan Shipp and her website ishttp://www.jbarsdobies.com. I look for health and also look to see what other dogs from that breeder have accomplished. Storm's littermates include an International Champion who's also certified in SAR water and cadaver searches, and a guide dog for the blind. I want a dog whose family are proven working and thinking dogs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I was just looking at Storm and Ava. Pretty Pretty thats for sure. My Hero is from Patrica Bell (Bel-Mar Doberman's) Michigan. She is a lady that is up front with you. She doesn't suger coat anything. Health is #1 with her. I have all info if you'd like it. Email me. She shows, obedience and I think she did some agility when she was young. Been in the breed for many years. She had a website but I think it's not up now. I can send you some pictures of my girl if you'd. I'm on my way to J-Mar Dobe's site. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts