Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a pinch collar from Cali's Collars. I do not know what size to buy for Beckham. He is 80 lbs at 8 mos old. I was wondering if any of you guys have one and would comment. Thanks bunches!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has been away at a show. I will have to measure him. I would like to get one that will fit when he is grown.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I personally wouldn't put any prong collar on over the head for any reason.

(Most) prong collars are designed to be adjusted by adding in links or removing them so it's a case of matching up the collars gauge to your preference. A 3.0mm or 3.2mm collar will (usually) be 22-23 inches as standard with 1.25 inch links so you can remove a few to fit and add them back in as you need them. At 36kg he's may still be able to walk on a 2.25mm gauge collar with extra links added in but at that weight I'd favour stainless steel for the additional strength. If you aim for a collar at least 2-3 inches longer than his neck measurement that should give you the option to remove a link which can be added back in as he grows and you'll better be able to judge the final size needed before buying more links.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I am looking at buying a pinch collar from Cali's Collars. I do not know what size to buy for Beckham. He is 80 lbs at 8 mos old. I was wondering if any of you guys have one and would comment. Thanks bunches!
Why don't you just write Lesley and ask her how you should measure?

Lesley's collars are very nice, but they do not work like a standard pinch; my preference would be for a Herm Sprenger collar that could be properly fit.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

(Most) prong collars are designed to be adjusted by adding in links or removing them
These are pinch collars incorporated into a woven martingale. They can only be put on over the head. They're pretty and they're durable and they are socially acceptable if you're in an environment where a pinch would be frowned upon. I would still rather have a proper pinch collar.
Braided Pinch Collars

·
Registered
381 Posts
Afterthought: I have always preferred the 2.25/3.0 mm prong. I've always found the heavy collars to have a slow action. The 2.25/3.0 mm chain takes up and releases faster and is more subtle than the 3.5/4.0mm collars.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are pinch collars incorporated into a woven martingale. They can only be put on over the head. They're pretty and they're durable and they are socially acceptable if you're in an environment where a pinch would be frowned upon. I would still rather have a proper pinch collar.
Braided Pinch Collars
I definitely am one of those who live in such an area where a pinch collar would be looked down upon. Also, I think seeing pc on a dog make some people fearful of the dog as they may perceive him/her as aggressive or hard to handle. Just my opinion. I really like the braided collar as someone let me use theirs on Beckham and he behaved so much better. He is a very bad puller on the leash. I went to the website and looked at the collar recommened in an earlier post. They look nice as well. I may end up buying both for different situations. I appreciate all of you for commenting and giving great advise. :)

·
sandy2233
2,503 Posts
When a dog is a puller, that is where the prong/pinch collars excel. They self correct on their own. What most people do not realize, is that measurement and wearing of the collar should be directly beneath the ears. ( Approximately similar to a show lead being used on a dog) Not hanging loosly around the neck. One shouldn't have to gather up 3 in of slack if the collar is properly fitted before the dog feels the correction. I know there are naysayers about the prong collar, but if it is used correctly it is fine. Emily is just a wiggle worm when I get hers out, no fear and no resentment. But she has never been mistreated in one. When you buy one, make sure you get extra links to add to it. That way, you can allow for growth. I bought one of the smaller linked ones. Didn't think she needed the huge links because she is so sensitive.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

(Most) prong collars are designed to be adjusted by adding in links or removing them so it's a case of matching up the collars gauge to your preference. A 3.0mm or 3.2mm collar will (usually) be 22-23 inches as standard with 1.25 inch links so you can remove a few to fit and add them back in as you need them. At 36kg he's may still be able to walk on a 2.25mm gauge collar with extra links added in but at that weight I'd favour stainless steel for the additional strength. If you aim for a collar at least 2-3 inches longer than his neck measurement that should give you the option to remove a link which can be added back in as he grows and you'll better be able to judge the final size needed before buying more links.
Putting the collar on over the head can be done safely by turning it inside out. I have 3 HS prongs, all different. I also have a Lola prong which I put on inside out.

Reactions: HarvestMoon

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
If you are looking for a prong in that martingale style, here is another one just in case you have not seen it yet. I have one and really like it and I know several other people who also have one. They come in many different fabrics/patterns.

Like the collar on the website with the braided ones (very pretty also!) this collar also slips over the head but is quite easy to loosen it, turn it inside out and slip it over the dogs head, then tighten. I believe I have the 8 prong version (2.3) but I have a fairly small female. If you have a male, perhaps you want the 10 prong.

One feature I like is that you can remove the prongs and it functions more like a normal martingale.

Secret Power

Similar to what some others have mentioned, I prefer a Herm Springer pinch for training, but this is good when out in public places and you don't want people giving you the evil eye for wearing a pinch collar... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stainless steel can not be hardened and is almost always weaker than traditional steel, and absolutely weaker than hardened steel.
Not so. Stainless steel can be hardened, any steel can be with the correct technique.

Chain makers use a very wide variety of metals, the grade of metal dictates the final cost and therefore the final price. The grade of the metal also determines its strength. What grade of metal do you think a $2.99 basic dog chain is made from? The same as the grade used in the anchor chain of a $1m yatch? Hardly. So although I have no doubt a dog chain could be made from a tempered hardened steel the chances of it actually being made are slim to nil.

The reason Sprenger chain costs more is it's a better grade and better controlled quality than the average mass produced offering out in the market. Simple idiom of 'you get what you pay for', pay for quality and get strength, or pay for cheap and get....well, you get a chain with dubious breaking strength and longevity. Given a 3.0mm stainless chain will exceed the load capability of a 4.0mm chrome plated chain I'd hazzard a guess the stainless chain is actually stronger, and on that basis a 4.0mm stainless chain would never be outperformed by a 4.0mm chrome plated chain. It doesn't take much to move the assumption down to a stainless 2.25mm prong link will be stronger than a 2.25mm chrome plated link, unless someone out there has made a hardened steel version that we don't know of yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts