Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bronson is having a bad case of the allergies at the moment. We all are. Its horrible here right now. Itching, scratching, chewing his feet, red eyes, some sneezing.
He'll cough/reverse sneeze once in a while, like once a week if that. Has has whole life.
So he had a benadryl at about 10 yesterday morning and I had been at work but the bf was home and said he had been fine.
I came home, brushed him cause he was shedding like crazy. Then rinsed his feet off and we went to bed.
He just woke me up heaving and then puked up what looks like an inch long piece of string or part of his rope (looks like green floss) but then continued to dry heave, cough, and honk for a minute straight.
He really freaked me out, he was shaking and wouldnt drink water, stomach rumbling like crazy.
But it passed after a minute and now hes fine, tail wagging, harassing the cat right now.

Now I dont know about dogs, but when I have severe allergies the mucus runs down the back of my throat and I get all coughy/disgusting.
Does this happen with dogs or is there something serious going on here?
He might have also picked up some mild kennel cough I suppose.
Other than the alleriges/random coughing he still acts normal. We played with the flirt pole when I got home.
Sigh, no sleep for me now.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He already gets 1-2 sardines a day. Think I should increase it?
I only usually give him 25mg of benadryl even though hes 41lbs because it knocks him OUT.
He's eating now and fine so I'm not too worried. Allergies are killing ME though, ugh.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been giving him canned sardines. So he gets 1-2 cans a week. Can deff increase that to see if it helps.

Its supposed to rain for the rest of the week starting tomorrow. So we had a fun long walk at the river, then he got a bath and benadryl and now hes passed out on the couch :D
I gave him 1 1/2 pills and they're 25mg pills. Seems to be helping.
I'll start him on the fish oil again and give the Vit E more constantly.
Washing all his bedding so that should help.

Does anyone give benadryl before walks? Was debating on if this would help more or if he would be too groggy

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I dont really have a problem giving the benadryl. They just make him super groggy. If its not pouring tomorrow I'll give him the benadryl and then go for a really short walk to test it out.

Yeah he might have kennel cough. I take him to petsmart/petco/the park/walk with friends dogs. But if it is, its not bad enough atm for me to worry about it. His nose discharge is minimal and white.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wanted to post an update.
I upped his sardines to a can a day and that really seems to be helping.
I gave him benadryl everyday for a week straight, then forgot a day but he wasnt really chewing/scratching so I stopped.
As of now he doesnt really chew/scratch much.
Sadly his feet are all red between some of his toes tho bleh.

I took him to the vet last thursday because i was worried he might have a foxtail in his ears but they were empty and perfectly clean!
Then yesterday we were playing with the flirt pole and he started shaking his head like crazy so we took him inside and looked in his ears and hes getting hairs in his ear! Like hes shedding and stray hairs are falling in his ears lol so I pulled 2 hairs out and he was fine. Of all things. Silly dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.