Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Priscilla's urine results came back today (after a horrible night of drinking and wetting). She is not concentrating her urine and is beginning to undergo some kidney changes.

The vet is going to add stilbesterol to her propalin, to hopefully help the leakage, but that doesn't change the problem.

She has cancer and carbs aren't great for that. Whether or not at this point it even really matters anymore, I can't say. But you never know, she has never ceased to amaze.

I'm going to join a yahoo group on K9Kidney but thought I'd toss it out here.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
You don't need low protein for kidney issues. You do need lower Phosporous and maybe calcium and a GOOD SOURCE of protein.

My Vizsla has diabetes insipidus (inability to concentrate her urine) BUT her kidney values are normal. My vet is fine with us staying on raw and continuing to monitor her and she gets meds for the DI.

Reactions: EmilyB

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Tofu and cottage cheese!

....also white fish is a form of protein that doesn't generate as much ammonia and is easier for the liver to process....so tuna and sardines etc are good sources too.

I also used L-glutamine powder to assist Zil's protein levels (as it's a very necessary nutrient for cell function)....it's not so much as 'low' protein...but protein in a form that doesn't produce high levels of ammonia; overtax the liver, and neurological systems during processing that is the diet goal. The hard part is getting enough protein into the diet without going to a meat source. (I used a small lump of boiled chicken/or turkey to boost below ammonia thresholds.

....I would use 250gms of tofu for each meal. ...the boiled chicken gave it a little flavour ;)

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This forum is so SMART!! :cheesygrin:

If she had diabetes that would have shown up in the blood panel do you think?

I could probably feed her dehydrated raw, but I started adding some to her diet several days ago. That also is when she started drinking more and peeing more and leaking like crazy. That's got to be a co-incidence, right?
(Yes, I did rehydrate it.... :lol:) It just makes me scared now to feed it again.
Maybe after I've had her off it for a while I'll reconsider.

Boy that would be a lot of cottage cheese and tofu to fill her up. She's an eater. Maybe some green beans thrown in?

L-Glutamine is mentioned on the cancer groups a lot. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
This forum is so SMART!! :cheesygrin:

If she had diabetes that would have shown up in the blood panel do you think?
Diabetes inspidus is not regular insulin diabetes and Gabby’s was diagnosed with a water deprivation test. We found she wasn’t concentrating her urine through a regular senior urinary analysis. Her annual bloodwork was fine. We redid the regular UA 60 days later still not concentrated so then did the water deprivation test. I give her 1 nasal drop each day and she’s fine. She gets Desmopressin Acetate 0.01 % Nasal Sol 5 ml

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, okay that is probably why he wants her to come back in a couple months. (if she decides to stick around). I hope I don't have to learn about many more diseases...

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Ah, okay that is probably why he wants her to come back in a couple months. (if she decides to stick around). I hope I don't have to learn about many more diseases...
That's what I told my vet too!! I'm done learning :) Then I asked her to compare it to say low thryoid or lymphoma (after losing a dog to that you get freaked out). She said it's slightly worse than low thyroid but MOST DOGS DO JUT FINE as long as you continue to monitor them. This just came up on my Vizsla list and several people also posted that their dogs lived to 13-14 without issues from this too.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Where is her cancer located? (sorry...I'm being lazy on search duties)...is it possible her liver is becomming compromised (excessive drinking/peeing)...as in how were her liver counts on the bloods?

*thinking out loud....an introduction of a concentrated meat protein source (rehydrated freeze dry) could bring on an ammonia crisis if her liver was already compromised....which could then bring on the thirst/kidney issue....also not sure, but freeze dry could result in a higher sodium concentration in the food....which could also promote thirst.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She has osteosarcoma. It is now in her lungs and could very well be elsewhere as well.

My hubby is picking up her script and I am getting the test results so I'll be back on that question. I just briefly discussed them this AM with the vet.

He certainly didn't mention liver. I specifically asked about kidney because of all the peeing.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All her test results are in the normal range except platelet count which was way high because of the cancer and the SG at just into normal at 1.017.

Anything in particular I should look at?

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
If all in normal range....not sure how much help my info will be then. liver issues stand out in the bloods like sore thumbs...GGT, ALT, protein levels, platelets....and a host of others.

I'd still be tempted to give her system a break though by feeding easily digested nutrients...because the cancer and any medications are probably knocking her around anyway.

if you're into giving herbals a try...maybe check out korean ginseng as an overall immune boost....and I also had great results with wheatgrass juice as a predigestive to help the absorption along.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yah, I think I'm going to stop most of her supplements for a bit. She is on an excellent immunity booster (K9 Immunity Pro) at the moment.

She definitely could stand to shed a few pounds so the foods you mentioned might be bland enough to get things settled down.

I just don't think I want to add anything more to the mix for the moment.

And given my other thread (bloat watch), she just needs things to settle down I think. With whatever result.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts