Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

had a few stressfull weeks with me worrying what on earth has been wrong with Harvey.

He has always had loose stools but i put it down to a sensitive stomach and me being naughty and giving him a couple of rich treats. The vet told me there was nothing to worry about when i took him the first time with my concerns.

He has been steadily putting on weight and seemed in perfect health otherwise and is wormed regular but one evening i come home to a kennel full of really loose poop. Took a rather sheepish looking Harvey out of his kennel and gave him a check over and bless him his anus and the underneath of his tail was raw and there was a huge lump on the underside of his tail. Panicking i threw him in the car and sped down to the vets. After a good chat with the vet he gave me some Pro-biotic paste for his stomach called Pro-Kolin and some anti biotics for his raging high temperature ~ my poor little guy :sadcry: . The diorhea was so violent that it made his anus swell and the surrounding skin to swell and to bleed. and i was advised to put some vaseline on his bum ~ the things you do for love lol. I was told to watch him and check every poo he done for signs of blood and mucus etc.

I took the next day of work watch over him but he was him normal bouncy self. Well 3 days later i come home to the same scene but this time there was mucus in his poop so after another speedy car drive he had a an extremely high temp again and this time i took a poo sample with the mucus in it. after another set of antibiotics some lab tests and alot lighter in the purse we have finally found out he has got Campylobacter Bacteria [pronounced "kamp-e-lo-back-ter"].

He is now on the mend with a 10 day course on antibiotics and we are taking him back for a check up as he may need a further course of anti biotics.

It makes me wonder how long he has had his bacteria and the vets kept telling me it was nothing to worry about~ glad i pushed the issue with them though else i could of had a very sick dog on my hands.

Just thought i would let you know though and maybe raise awareness as im told it can be quite common in young dogs and it can be missed with owners putting it down to worms or diet etc and it can be passed onto humans easily.

Symptoms start 12-48 hrs after initial contact (usually) and may spread to other dogs rapidly.

Dogs are alert, hungry, energetic. Normal feces starts with mucus sheath, continues to get progressively softer until becomes explosive diarrhea. Vomiting may or may not accompany. Feces have a sweet/flowery aroma along with a "slaughterhouse-on-a-summer-day" smell. Feces are *usually* mustard colored then become bloody. Dogs dehydrate at an astounding rate. Dogs are also at risk of intususseption(sp).

The younger or weaker the dog, the worse it is. Some dogs may never get it, even though they may be kenneled with an affected dog. Some dogs also get over this without treatment.

:)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
My goodness! So glad poor Harvey is now on the road to recovery, what an episode. But even the worse of things pass quickly when you have a sweet human willing to cover your bum with vaseline;)

Thank you Twink for posting this. This is a good thread to keep on hand.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Glad to hear Harvey is on the mend!

Java came down w/ 'Campy' several months ago. I think she may have picked it up by eating some animal feces (YUK) while on a walk in woods w/ hubby - by the time he saw and got to her it was too late. Odd because I had never seen her exhibit this kind of behavior before or since. Mustard-colored, loose stools with blood and mucus as described above within three days. When the Campy really kicked in poor Java was barely able to make it out the door before eliminating. Gave me that same sheepish look, but how can anyone get upset with a sick child or animal?

No fever, bright-eyed but a bit quieter than usual. Got her to vet and onto anti-biotics plus a diet of brown rice (white is fine, just happened to have a new bag of brown rice at home), applesauce and a bit of banana (1/3 small), plus plain yogurt. Rice expands with water and eases everything out of intestinal tract. Banana contains potassium which pups lose when dehydrated. Stools started to get back to normal within two-three days. Luckily, although her behind was a bit pink, it never got raw, although I did put Vaseline on her (and got most indignant look from pup) just in case. Unscented baby wipes really come in handy for this kind of thing - cleans the affected area w/out stinging or adding to irritation.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Twinkletoes, way to be on top of things and I am glad Harvey is doing fine.

JavasMom, that's a great idea about the baby wipes ! - thanks.

·
formally Doberdog
3,770 Posts
I'm glad he is ok and that you acted so quickly. I am so glad to have found this site and all the great information it contains. I thread like this could save another dogs life someday. Thanks very much, Sheila

·
Registered
1 Posts
possibly campylobacter

Hello,
My 3.5 year old Dobe, Neo, gets bad diarhea about once every 7 months or so. The symptoms sound sort of like campyblobacter. I do not like to give him medicine but the past couple of times, the vet has prescribed metrozidal (something like that). It seems to do the trick. What have you all used to treat the campylobacter?
Best,

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
this is also something children can get. my daughter got it when she was 7 months old. she spent several days in the hospital. the health dep went door to door getting stool samples. it was awfull!

·
Registered
58 Posts
After reading the original post, it was like a ton of bricks hit my head. I'm taking Duke to the vet today, he originally had what we thought was parvo, but now with all the sympthoms listed and not knowing what was wrong with my dog it explains what was going on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yikes! Now Im worried. Ronin is starting to have the same problem, and here Im thinking its the treats we started giving him - maybe it is. Still, can't take no chances...its vet time.

:guilty:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts