Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends of mine were stationed at Bilouxi (sp?) AFB when Katrina struck. Dino the dad had no choice and had to stay on base in their shelter. Linda and the kids fled to Florida at the last minute. Calvin the 11yr old cat from hell (and that's being nice) was no where to be found but they figured he was hiding somewhere in their apt. because he really doesn't like to travel. They left food and water for him figuring he'd be fine especially since Dino was staying on the base (about 15 miles from their apt. on the right on the coast). Unfortunately by the time Dino was able to get back to the apartment it had no roof and everything was destroyed, Calvin sadly was nowhere to be found.... Since the storm, the family has received orders back up to Minot ND. It has been difficult with little money and no possessions but they were thankful for the credit card provided by the Red Cross and that they were all safe. Last week Dino drove back to Mississippi to deal with insurance stuff and try to salvage what he could. When he walked into the destroyed bedroom of their old apartment he found a very skinny Calvin sitting on what was left of Linda's grandmother's dressing table. What are the odds? The only thing we can figure is that Calvin came and went through the holes in the roof and walls to forage for food and then would check in for the family periodically. From what I understand he did not put up any fight when Dino loaded him and his carrier into the car for the three day drive back up to North Dakota. Linda and the kids were thrilled when Dino finally made it back home but I guess they came unglued when he surprised them with Calvin :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is really a heart wrenching story, sad but wonderfully beautiful at the same time

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lucky, lucky, Calvin. TracyJo, wonder if old Calvin is still the cat from hell? Great end to the story.

Note to me -- I've got to learn to read the final line of a post to see if it all works out in the end, saves getting teary through the reading of the post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts