Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pincho
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Our good boy, Pincho, is 15 weeks now and we want to start incorporating some puppy socialization. He's having plenty of human socialization but finding puppy owners or dogs who are good with other dogs are slim.

If you are in Bergen County New Jersey area and would like a dobie puppy friend for your dog please DM me or add me on IG! Login • Instagram
My gf and I are hoping we can meet with other dogs owners at public parks in a covid safe way.

Pincho just had his 3rd booster and his first bordatella shot this month. He's a 15 weeks old male (Euro/American mix) and approximately 25lbs. Very friendly towards humans and always shows friendliness towards other dogs - big or small.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,149 Posts
What a handsome young man! And I like the locale for your pic. I'm also drooling over your fall colors.

Pictures can be misleading, so this next bit might be out of place, but do be careful not to pull the bridge on his posts too tight—you don't want to pull his ears in over his head too much. You may not even need a bridge at all.

Ideally, his ears should fall into a 10 and 2, or 11 and 1 o'clock position ( like this \_/ ) when they are posted.

·
Pincho
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a handsome young man! And I like the locale for your pic. I'm also drooling over your fall colors.

Pictures can be misleading, so this next bit might be out of place, but do be careful not to pull the bridge on his posts too tight—you don't want to pull his ears in over his head too much. You may not even need a bridge at all.

Ideally, his ears should fall into a 10 and 2, or 11 and 1 o'clock position ( like this \_/ ) when they are posted.
Thank you! It's hard to tell but there is some slack between the posting. He's just alert in that picture and his ears are more erect. Regardless, I'll bring this up to my vet on his next posting appointment.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
It's actually a common misconception that puppies need to play with other puppies. While it doesn't hurt to do a little here and there, it's not essential and could actually be detrimental. "Socialization" is not just about interactions with people and dogs, it's also about situations, sights, sounds, feelings, surfaces, temperatures, weather, car rides, boat rides, being picked up or examined, crate training, collars/leashes/harnesses, etc. And a lot of this is hopefully done in early puppyhood, but it's great to keep doing it for the life of your dog. I would concentrate on building your puppy's relationship and confidence in you. By all means be around other dogs but don't make being around other dogs be about playing with other dogs the primary focus should be about you and your dog because the best mannered dogs are actually taught to ignore other dogs! Sorry for the essay... Welcome to DT!

·
Pincho
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's actually a common misconception that puppies need to play with other puppies. While it doesn't hurt to do a little here and there, it's not essential and could actually be detrimental. "Socialization" is not just about interactions with people and dogs, it's also about situations, sights, sounds, feelings, surfaces, temperatures, weather, car rides, boat rides, being picked up or examined, crate training, collars/leashes/harnesses, etc. And a lot of this is hopefully done in early puppyhood, but it's great to keep doing it for the life of your dog. I would concentrate on building your puppy's relationship and confidence in you. By all means be around other dogs but don't make being around other dogs be about playing with other dogs the primary focus should be about you and your dog because the best mannered dogs are actually taught to ignore other dogs! Sorry for the essay... Welcome to DT!
That's very interesting and a relief to hear actually. I was under the impression that new experiences and playmates were different aspects of a dog's learning but when you put it like that it makes total sense.

·
Premium Member
9,058 Posts
Greenie , That was a excellent explanation --- Excellent !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

Our good boy, Pincho, is 15 weeks now and we want to start incorporating some puppy socialization. He's having plenty of human socialization but finding puppy owners or dogs who are good with other dogs are slim.

If you are in Bergen County New Jersey area and would like a dobie puppy friend for your dog please DM me or add me on IG! Login • Instagram
My gf and I are hoping we can meet with other dogs owners at public parks in a covid safe way.

Pincho just had his 3rd booster and his first bordatella shot this month. He's a 15 weeks old male (Euro/American mix) and approximately 25lbs. Very friendly towards humans and always shows friendliness towards other dogs - big or small.

Thank you!
Hi all,

Thank you!
Hi ,
where approximately in Bergen County are you? We are also in Bergen County and have a 4 month old male Doberman ( will be 4 months on Nov. 8). it would be great to meet up with the dogs and let them play! We are in the Ramsey area...

·
Pincho
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Knight,

We are not that far from you. We are in cliffside park. There is a nice park in Englewood Cliffs that has gated fields that are open to the public but we are open to any park that has something similar!

·
Pincho
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi ,
where approximately in Bergen County are you? We are also in Bergen County and have a 4 month old male Doberman ( will be 4 months on Nov. 8). it would be great to meet up with the dogs and let them play! We are in the Ramsey area...
Hi Knight,

We are not that far from you. We are in cliffside park. There is a nice park in Englewood Cliffs that has gated fields that are open to the public but we are open to any park that has something similar!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Knight,

We can exchange phone numbers if that’s ok with you? And we can plan a get together with the Dobes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts