Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Callie (we settled on a name!) has been working on figuring out stairs lately. She looked like she had them down, and I felt good taking down the baby gate. Oops. Around 3am, I let her out of her crate for a potty break, and she zoomed ahead- only for me to hear THUNK THUNK THUNK scream. and more screaming. I flip on the lights and she's laying in a crumpled little pile at the bottom of the stairs, still crying. I pick her up and try to see if anything is obviously hurt.. but she screams louder, and wont let me touch her right left paw. I try putting her down, and she wont put any weight on it or walk, and at this point it's been 10min and shes still crying.. So we load up and go to the emergency vet. The take her back and do their thing, xrays, etc. I'm terrified :( what an awful wait! It seemed like it was taking forever. Then they open the door, and out prances little miss thing.. acting like nothing happened, wrestling with a toy they had. "Oh hi, Mom! I'm okay.. just needed to go rack up an enormous vet bill for ya" :) LOL. They said she was fine. Scared me to death though! Just had to share. My misadventures in puppyhood! :roflmao:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Love the name!

I'd be very careful with the stairs until your 100% sure she can go up and down them with no problem. Diesel is still so clumsy and he's 12 weeks. Doesn't help that his feet are about the same size as his head haha he tends to trip over curbs and little things so we stay far away from stairs unless I am with him.

Enjoy puppyhood! Just wait till she's been around for a few more weeks and discovers EVERYTHING! That's where I'm at with Diesel now. I call him a monster instead of his name haha

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Aw fun! i'm really looking forwards to it! Its great that Diesel is just a few weeks older than her, you get to be my guinea pig ;) haha

Yeah, baby gate is right back up. I think it was the combination of 'gotta pee!' rushing and the lights being off. She does them okay during the day, so we'll see! Probably a few more weeks of carrying her down the stairs.. its getting harder! I swear that she has the density of a dying sun..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Axel is 20 weeks old now...or 4.5 months. He still refuses to go down some stairs, but then other stairs he's perfectly fine with, especially if he knows the GSD's food bowl is up there! I have a video of him when he was just 7 weeks old where he could barely make up the step at the back door.

I was having to carry Axel a lot the first few months because of his legs, and he got heavy fast! I'm glad we're beyond that now. Though I suspect that he'll never be so big that he won't think he's a lap dog!

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Glad she is ok. Dogs are fairly durable.

When Lexi starts running around my house she often crashes into things due to the slippery tiled floor.
Or when she's investigating things under tables she has lifted her head to soon and bopped herself.
However, the best was when she tried to walk through a glass door....twice. LOL

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have a dog door 'insert' for our sliding glass door... She misses the dog part of the door frequently. I think she's so riled up that shes not even looking where shes going :p She does well getting in and out of it though! It just looks so painful lol

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Lucky and Ilka each have the scars to prove they've BOTH gone through two different halves of the same sliding window at my in-law's house. Lucky needed 7 stiches on his right foreleg, and a bit of surgical glue on some cuts on his muzzle. The vet bill was a $300. Two years later, Ilka got just a few little cuts, the largest also on her right foreleg, but she didn't need any stitches, thank goodness. My in-laws say we're still welcome to bring a dog the next time we visit. :lol2:

Reactions: longshot4me

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lucky and Ilka each have the scars to prove they've BOTH gone through two different halves of the same sliding window at my in-law's house. Lucky needed 7 stiches on his right foreleg, and a bit of surgical glue on some cuts on his muzzle. The vet bill was a $300. Two years later, Ilka got just a few little cuts, the largest also on her right foreleg, but she didn't need any stitches, thank goodness. My in-laws say we're still welcome to bring a dog the next time we visit. :lol2:
Oh goodness!! My parents have a GSD that did that.. they keep an 'X' on the glass with tape so she can see it better. They wound up with a pretty nice bill too, she partially degloved her front leg. Glass doors and our pups just don't seem to get along! Your IL's are troopers for still loving your dogs.. hehe

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
Hey longshot4me,

You might try what I did with the Australian Shepherd when he was a puppy and we were in Vermont living in a house that had two sets of stairs. The back ones which went up to my bedroom were practically a ladder and he had a fair amount of trouble learning to go down them. I started by putting him on leash and not letting him get up any speed (which always ended up with him in a pile at the bottom of the stairs and usually with him crying and limping for several minutes.)

After he was doing well with the stairs I started making him stay behind me going down them...(they were also very narrow so it wasn't hard keeping him back) that way if he blew it and stumbled the most he'd do is skid down one stair on his chin before he encountered me.

That worked well--it pretty well kept him from making those heartstopping falls with all the thumping and crying at the bottom.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks dobebug, that sounds like a good idea. I'll try more with the leash!

I'm going to keep the gate up and we're only doing supervised stairs now. I've been trying to teach her to slow down and hit every stair. Treats at the bottom for slow, deliberate stair-decents!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

We rescued a Dobie puppy (got him from Dobie rescue). We first saw him at 6 weeks (7 lbs) and his ears were natural Dobie. When we finally were able to bring him home at 10 weeks (19.2 lbs) his ears had gone wild. I call him crazy ears. When he is focused his left ear wants to stand up as though it is cropped. The right ear flops over lying flat on top of his head. At other times both ears are flopped over his head. The vet apparently said he has real strong cartilage. What happened???

What would be the best way to correct this? We wanted to keep his ears natural, no cropping. Is there any way for these ears to lie flat again? We see the vet this coming Friday for round three of shots. He is now barely 11 weeks and 22 lbs. The rescue would not release him to us any earlier because they insist on neutering before releasing a dog to go home.

He was eating California Natural. We are moving him over to Solid Gold wolf cub. We are giving him one spoonful of plain yogurt with dinner. More posts from us forthcoming. Looking forward to any feedback you might have on what may have happened to his ears and any ideas on how we can get back to natural standard uncropped ears.

This is my 4th Dobe. Never have cropped ears and never have seen anything like this. Thanks!!

I've attached a few of his pictures @ 7 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Everyone,

We rescued a Dobie puppy (got him from Dobie rescue). We first saw him at 6 weeks (7 lbs) and his ears were natural Dobie. When we finally were able to bring him home at 10 weeks (19.2 lbs) his ears had gone wild. I call him crazy ears. When he is focused his left ear wants to stand up as though it is cropped. The right ear flops over lying flat on top of his head. At other times both ears are flopped over his head. The vet apparently said he has real strong cartilage. What happened???

What would be the best way to correct this? We wanted to keep his ears natural, no cropping. Is there any way for these ears to lie flat again? We see the vet this coming Friday for round three of shots. He is now barely 11 weeks and 22 lbs. The rescue would not release him to us any earlier because they insist on neutering before releasing a dog to go home.

He was eating California Natural. We are moving him over to Solid Gold wolf cub. We are giving him one spoonful of plain yogurt with dinner. More posts from us forthcoming. Looking forward to any feedback you might have on what may have happened to his ears and any ideas on how we can get back to natural standard uncropped ears.

This is my 4th Dobe. Never have cropped ears and never have seen anything like this. Thanks!!

I've attached a few of his pictures @ 7 lbs.

Razzle, you'll probably get more responses to help you if you start your own thread on the subject. That said, I don't see anything wrong with her ears?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts