Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been posting Mensa's ears for five and a half months. The bases stand just fine, but the upper half of her ears flop over horizontal after a couple days with no posts.

It has been suggested to me I have the Vet give her a Calcium Shot in her ear to stiffen up the upper part.

Who else has heard of this?

Has anyone else done this with their Dobie?

What are the drawbacks, if any?

Thanks.

· Registered
190 Posts
Chaz

you are going through the same delema as me.grr

I just put Chase's ears back up about 3 weeks ago, and their seems to be an improvement already.. Honestly im going to keep him in posts for as long as it takes, even if it's another 3 months.

I asked the same question, but some people have said it can do harm.. My guess for my guy is that he has grown so much , that maybe that's the reason for his ears not standing as well as it should.. it could also be the crop.

your girl is quite big for her age also, so maybe that's the reason as well.

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, Dobie Lover.

Mensa is getting to be a big girl. Maybe that's why we seem to have hit a plateau in the posting process.

Here's a pic taken a few weeks ago:

I am prepared to keep posting until DoomsDay if I have to. It was Mensa's Breeder who suggested I ask my Vet about a Calcium Shot, but before I do I thought I'd ask around first.

· Registered
4,408 Posts
Ears

Posting was completed around 6 months on my baby. During this time she was on (and still finishing the bottle) PSD Complex 11 Developed by PRN Pharmacal INC. In some of the dobie world this is suppose to help make the ears stand--and is said to never have failed ( I don`t know how true that is, but having said that her ears are standing and look good)(I thought I better not take a chance and not use it and it couldn`t hurt) . The first bottle was given to me, I than went on line and orderd more..This is a list of the ingredients on the bottle.
Complex calcium phosphated 1000mg.
supplying calcium 166mg.
supplying phosphorus 210mg.
Vitamin A Acetate 2000I.U.
VitaminD. 500I.U.
15-30 lbs. 2 tablets daily
30-60 lbs. 3 tablets daily
60-100 lbs. 4 tablets daily
or as directed by a veterinarian

· Registered
8,076 Posts
I do feel for you Chaz and dobie lover. I hope the ears stand soon, I have my fingers crossed.

· Registered
166 Posts
Maggie's ears are doing the same thing. The base stands extremely well, but the upper 1/2 falls over when she doesn't have them erect. She can throw them back up erect no problem, but there is a little crease area that shouldn't be there when she has them in a submissive posture. That's why I am posting again :sadcry: . I am using the tape measure method as it is so much less intrusive and doesn't seem to bother Maggie much at all after being spoiled to having them down.

· Banned
675 Posts
IN the picutres posted of Mensa with her ears tape the brace between the posts is too high and will cause the ears to tip, so if you're still doing that I suggest you stop. The breeder I got most of my dogs from doesn't use a brace, she doesn't like them, and the only times I have known her to use one are if there is a particular problem with the ears that brace might help. She also doesn't give supplements, and yet she gets the ears up.

I couldn't get the ears on my first Doberman puppy to stand and I was told by local Doberman people to give him calcium. The breeder was against it but she was in another state and couldn't help me with the taping. I asked my vet about it and he said there were no bones in the ears so what would calcium do? Whether calcium is believed to strengthen cartilage or not I don't know. Whether it actually strengthens cartilage or not I don't know.
I do know it's dangerous to give calcium because it destroys the calcium/phosphorus balance and can cause the dog health problems which is much more important than whether its ears stand.

What I did was find and ear expert(a real one as opposed to a lot of people who think they are) and take my puppy to him. He did two weeks of remedial taping and my dog's ears stood.

· Registered
8,076 Posts
I don't use a brace anymore either. I found it diffucult to keep the ears from leaning in with the brace on. Also, and this might me just my imagination but I find ******* use's her ears more without it. I don't really know if this helps to harden the cartilage but maybe it does.

· Registered
288 Posts
After a few ears being taped I don't think it's calcium either but for them to use their ears. to help develop their muscles to pull them up. One breeder also said she noticed if the dog wrinkles their forhead the ears usually went up more erect. so theres many

· Banned
675 Posts
DobieLover,
It was 1977 when I was taping my first Doberman's ears and I don't think Breathe Rite strips even existed then. I think the problem I was having with the ears was the way I was taping. The breeder had shown me how to do it, but I don't know if I was doing it correctly enough or not. I can do it now, but I don't know if I was really doing it right then. I used the tampon method. The breeder had also told me to leave the ears up for five days, then take them down and leave them down for two, then retape. I think that was the problem. The vet I took my puppy to had me leave the ears up for a week, then go back to him, he took them down, aired and cleaned them and taped them right back up again. So I think the problem was that I was leaving the ears down for too long, I've never done it that way again. Instead of tampons, this vet used a bunch of paper towels, if I remember right, I've heard of other people doing that since, but never done it myself.

"Micdobe- when you said you went to an expert, what did he do different then anybody else?? I have tried the Breathe rite strips but it was not enough for my guy, so I went back to tampon method."

· Registered
3,942 Posts
I would not give any excess calcium. Just keeping taping. As people have told you, when you think you are done taping, tape again, and then once more.
Yes, it is a big commitment and is getting old by now to her and to you, but it will pay off in the long run.
You could try a different posting method if you wish, but I would not give more calcium. I like using the foam rod backers over the tampons. Works better IMO. I no longer use the skin bond except for with breathe right strips. I tape one side of the foam then backwrap that tape to make the posts sticky. But if I remember correctly, you take her to the vet for wrapping.
Some Dobe ears have to be posted for many months to get that look of eagles, I have heard of some people even posting to about a year old. And some only posting until the dog is 14 weeks or 6 months, or whatever. It just depends on the dog.

I know many show breeders that have long show crops on their puppies and get them nicely standing without ever having to use calcium or other supplements in hopes the ears will stand faster.

Here is a site about that: http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/skeletaLeffects_of_excessive_calicum_intake_htm.htm
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/calcium_do_i_supplement.htm

I don't agree with everything on this lady's site, but I agree that excess calcium is dangerous and should not be given to large breed puppies. Good luck with posting, she is looking great!

· Registered
3,942 Posts
dobie lover said:
I have done the same thing with Chase 7 days then a quick clean and make sure their are no sores then back up.. It does make a difference.
Agreed. I like to do a quick clean, let the ears air out for a short while, then put them right back up. I don't like to let them even begin to drop or lean. Btw, I think his ears look great too.

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
I agree that excess calcium is dangerous and should not be given to large breed puppies. Good luck with posting, she is looking great!
As I remember, Dr. Jezbera did the crop and is doing the aftercare on the puppy. The last time I talked to him about it, he was adamant about not supplementing the diet with calcium, I can't believe he'd approve of or be involved with shooting calcium into ears.

· RIP Lexi
69 Posts
i hope the ears work out...
i had problems also, and still have problems! lexi's right ear flops when she's really tired. also when she's really alert, the tips touch on top. i was also thinking about re-taping, but felt so bad....
im taking her to Sophia on the 14th, maybe i'll ask about the calcium shots and let you know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.