Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey has quit gaining weight for the last month. Up until last month he has been right on track, 6 months = 60 lbs.
Now at 7.5 months he's only at 63 lbs. My girl really started putting on muscle by this age. He's getting plenty of food and a lot of protien. He's on a 75/25 Human food / dog food. He's been getting 4+ cups of Pro Plan for pups along with his human diet of fresh veggies, grilled chicken, scrambled eggs & such. I won't go into all the details.
Purina has a higher calorie kibble that I'm going to start him on as soon as it gets here.
At 7.5 months and 63 lbs I can only see ribs when he's running, he's still just tall and lanky, 27.5" at the withers.
The DNA test results came back a couple days ago on both dogs. Savannah has a marker for DCM and Bailey's test says his ALT " may be low-normal", otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. Anyway, I'm just getting up to speed on ALT.
I guess, for now what I'm asking is has anyone else had a late bloomer in terms of putting on muscle weight?
I would expect him to be mid 70's or so with more mass at this age. I'm going to ramp up his daily calories for now.
Dog Dog breed Collar Carnivore Working animal

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I'm going to try him on Purina Pro Plan Performance. It's supposed to have more calories.
Now I need to get smart on the ALT issue and Savannah's marker for DCM. I know there's little I can do about the DCM from what I know to this point but I can control her diet and make sure everything she gets is as heart-healthy as I can provide.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At that age they'll start plateauing at times. 27.5 at the withers seems VERY tall for a young age. If he's a very active puppy you might want to consider a lunchtime meal. He might just be slow to fill out, many males are, and he looks rather immature.
Yep, they get fed three times per day as regular practice. With that I hope to reduce the possibility of bloat by spreading out their food to three meals. Besides, I just think more meals/less food each is better for them anyway.
Immature = yes. The bulk of my home vocabulary is as follows..stop that, put that down, don't eat that, come back here, are you crazy ! stop biting Savannah.
Savannah will be getting an echocardiogram 7/1.
Thanks for all the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts