Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey has quit gaining weight for the last month. Up until last month he has been right on track, 6 months = 60 lbs.
Now at 7.5 months he's only at 63 lbs. My girl really started putting on muscle by this age. He's getting plenty of food and a lot of protien. He's on a 75/25 Human food / dog food. He's been getting 4+ cups of Pro Plan for pups along with his human diet of fresh veggies, grilled chicken, scrambled eggs & such. I won't go into all the details.
Purina has a higher calorie kibble that I'm going to start him on as soon as it gets here.
At 7.5 months and 63 lbs I can only see ribs when he's running, he's still just tall and lanky, 27.5" at the withers.
The DNA test results came back a couple days ago on both dogs. Savannah has a marker for DCM and Bailey's test says his ALT " may be low-normal", otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. Anyway, I'm just getting up to speed on ALT.
I guess, for now what I'm asking is has anyone else had a late bloomer in terms of putting on muscle weight?
I would expect him to be mid 70's or so with more mass at this age. I'm going to ramp up his daily calories for now.
Dog Dog breed Collar Carnivore Working animal

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
Your boy looks thin to me and it is common for adolescent males to be very slow to put on weight betwen 6 months and a year (or more)--I find that during that age range--I'd recommend reducing the amount of vegetables he's getting and adding more kibble--if you are still feeding ProPlan puppy anything I'd change that to one of the ProPlan adult formulas.

All of my male puppies have needed more kibble and a couple of them needed much more kibble in that transition period between puppyhood and adult. I was usually feeding around 4 cups of kibble (split into two meals a day) and I'd up that amount if the dog looked thin--sometimes I had males that were eating 6 cups of kibble a day--by the time they hit 18 months or so I could slowly reduce the amount of kibble they were getting and they generally ended up eating four dups of kibble a day.

I think you may expecting too much weight on a puppy his age and he may simply not be getting enough food to gain--but they don't gain weight like they did up to 6 months--that's common.

Good luck--try upping the food quantity--slowly and make sure his stools stay formed and small.

dobebug

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I'm going to try him on Purina Pro Plan Performance. It's supposed to have more calories.
Now I need to get smart on the ALT issue and Savannah's marker for DCM. I know there's little I can do about the DCM from what I know to this point but I can control her diet and make sure everything she gets is as heart-healthy as I can provide.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Thanks,
I'm going to try him on Purina Pro Plan Performance. It's supposed to have more calories.
Now I need to get smart on the ALT issue and Savannah's marker for DCM. I know there's little I can do about the DCM from what I know to this point but I can control her diet and make sure everything she gets is as heart-healthy as I can provide.
A marker for it is only useful for research purposes, NOT for practical purposes. Worry more about holters and echocardiograms annually from the age of 2.

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
Thanks,
ProPlan Performance comes in several varieties--but I'd change him to the Sport 30/20 --it's higher calorie--all life stages and it's what I've used for winter ProPlan (I keep my house so cold the dogs need a slightly different formula instead of the Sensitive Skin and Stomach (salmon and rice) which is what I use most often. I also use it for dogs who have a hard time keeping weight on when being shown.

That DCM marker means very little except for the people who are researching what genes contribute cardio issues. They aren't at this stage of the game predictive of anything either for the dog who has a positive marker or their offspring nor for dog who are negative.

Doing yearly Holters (24 hour ECG's) and cardio ultra sound with a vet cardiologist yearly starting at around two years elp you and your vet keep track of changes over the live of the dog

dobebug.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At that age they'll start plateauing at times. 27.5 at the withers seems VERY tall for a young age. If he's a very active puppy you might want to consider a lunchtime meal. He might just be slow to fill out, many males are, and he looks rather immature.
Yep, they get fed three times per day as regular practice. With that I hope to reduce the possibility of bloat by spreading out their food to three meals. Besides, I just think more meals/less food each is better for them anyway.
Immature = yes. The bulk of my home vocabulary is as follows..stop that, put that down, don't eat that, come back here, are you crazy ! stop biting Savannah.
Savannah will be getting an echocardiogram 7/1.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Big Lil pup
8,457 Posts
You boy looks very lanky to me. Right now he may be in a holding pattern weight wise. I bet, that with proper nutrition and exercise, he will be packing on a significant amount of muscle weight over the next year or so.

John L
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,247 Posts
Immature = yes. The bulk of my home vocabulary is as follows..stop that, put that down, don't eat that, come back here, are you crazy ! stop biting Savannah.
Sounds like he's right on schedule! LOL

Sometimes dogs eat a little less and slow down a bit during the heat of the summer too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts