Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get home Friday night after a long crappy day, between work problems and the forum upgrade problems I was pooped! As I am walking up to unlock the door I caught something out of my left eye like a shiny object or light. When I looked over it was the eyes of a little kitten that had dug herself into a burrow type hole in my front flower box outside the house. I will admit it she was cute all black with a patch of white on her chest. But - I dont do cats!

I couldnt just leave her there it has been getting cold at night around here and she was scared, so I pick her up and bring her inside the house. Now my wife was out dropping the oldest off for her first camping trip with the girls scouts and I knew if I didnt get this cat out of here quick I would have no choice but to keep her. Now keep in mind the entire time I am caring for this kitty Takira is going nuts, she has been home all day and wants to play, eat and poop NOW! :D Needless to say I was not able to sort anything for the cat before my wife and 3 yr old got home from dropping the 11 year old off so I am now the new owner of a little black fur ball named Boo-Kitty. :help_up_2

Thats her above taking a nappy with my youngest. The funny part is she looks almost identical to Takiras stuffed baby doll bear:sadcry: hehehe. It has only been a day and the cat mostly has been either sleeping or hiding so far but I am not sure what will happen if she starts to run around while the dog is around.:eatchicke I keep telling my wife But - I dont do cats! She doesnt listen though. :) Now I am at 5-1 female to male ratio in the house! I am doomed.

Any advice for a dog and a cat to co exist?

TD

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Ohhh my, she IS a doll! And you're hooked now! BEWARE, cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one! They seem to group together!
And BTW- what a nice guy!! Didn't want Boo-kitty to get cold!

Has Takira come in contact with kitty yet? What were her reactions if she did?

·
Registered
133 Posts
TakirasDad said:
The funny part is she looks almost identical to Takiras stuffed baby doll bear:sadcry: hehehe.

TD
Lol. That should be interesting! My previous dog and sister's cat peacfully co-existed for 5 years, but he was older and had developed enough patience over the years to stand a hyperactive kitty always wanting to play and scratch. Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Aww what a cute baby! After the cat is use to it's new home I would put Takira on a leash and have a good grip on the leash! Have your wife bring out Boo-Kitty, let them sniff each other, if Takira gets a little out of control make her sit or laydown. Do this until Takira and Boo-kitty get use to each other. Every now and then if Takira makes boo kitty mad boo will slap. Which is quit funny to see a 60 pound dog back down to a 10 pound cat. Lol.

Oh and Lexus is right 1 cat will soon equal 2 or 3. My suggestion is to get a male dobe along with one or 2 male cats! That should almost even out your male to female ratio!

Good luck and keep us updated please!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I keep telling my wife But - I dont do cats! She doesnt listen though.
Yeah yeah my husband said the same thing and now he's a crazy cat lover too. ;)

Any advice for a dog and a cat to co exist?
Any dog I've had, has always co-exsisted with cats and the cats vise versa so I've never had a problem. As a pup, Ava would want to chase them but quickly learned that kitties have claws and they're not afraid to use them. She still thinks it's fun however to nudge and poke them with her nose and see how long it takes them to get upset.
Has Takira had any previous experience with cats?

Boo Kitty is very cute! She reminds me of my cat, Xavier with those big yellow eyes. I don't know if it's a universal trait of black cats but the ones I've had the pleasure of knowing(including Xav) have been awfully curious and trouble just has a way of finding them. :) Good luck with her TD!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have 3 cats and the way i got them all use to trinity is I first off let the cat get use to the house slowly with out the dog. Once the cat got use to one room i would put trinity in another room or outside and then let the cat roam around for about an hour. Then I would hold the cat and let trinity sniff her but i wouldn't let the cat do anything to the dog or the other way around. Then i would just let the cat roam the whole house with the dog. Slowly but surely they now get along fine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We have two cats 15 year old Joplin, and 1 year old Sakai, who was a feral cat I bought home from work when she was three weeks old. Both of these cats have been raised with dogs. We had a Rotti who broke in the young cat, and the oldie is now on her third dog.

Now Jeddah will leave Joplin alone, because at 15, she doesn't run. Too boring! But Sakai is a whole different story......ex-feral so a little street-wise, a bit of a dog tease, and can really run....fast. So what does a young Doberman have going through it's mind when faced with this? Prey drive...prey drive...prey drive. We have done pretty well with what has been suggested here. Introduction with lead work etc. I use a baby gate so that Jeddah has access to one part of the house, and the cats have the other half. That works really well for us. If I forget to put the baby gate up and Jeddah is roaming around the house, she'll walk past the cats on the beds to get to their food bowls.

We usually have a quiet Sunday morning coffee and newspaper read in the cats' part of the house, and will allow Jeddah in with us so we can supervise, lately she has been ignoring the cats and justs lays on the floor snoozing. So we're nearly cat friendly.:)

Good on you TakirasDad for saving BooKitty, cats make great feet warmers.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
All of my Dobermans have gotten along great with all of my cats. Just down to one 15 yr old man now. But my dogs were also puppies when they met my cats. For an adult dog I would put the cat in a crate and let the dog smell him. I think you will get a pretty good idea that way how Takira will react to a cat. I would also make sure Takira has a good "leave it" command in case he chases the cat when he isn't in the crate.
You might want to consider putting up a few signs or an ad in the papre. That kitten looks pretty well cared for.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I dont have cats (michael doesn't do cats either) but i visit my mum everyday to meet up with her cats and dogs etc to get my cat 'fix' and for Harvey to have a play.. he always decides to play with tommy the biggest black tom cat i have ever seen..tommys old now so Harvey usually ends up with him hanging off his face for a moment when he doenst want to play and bats him straight on the cheeks. Harvey never lashes back though .. the cat really puts him in his place lol.. I just introduced them slowly whilst harvey was still on his lead and he has never bothered them.. the only time he can get alittle rough is when they run..which is Harveys cue to run like a loony and woof trying to play with the poor cat.

My dobes pretty good as he was socialsed with all farm yard type animals ..he even plays with they pygmy goat Jasmine i'm sure he thinks every animal he encounters is a dog .. even if it has hoofs or gobbles like the turkeys!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh aren't you the sweetest guy in the world!! that was so great of you to take in the poor kitten and it is the cutest kitty ever.. Big Hugs to you for being so sweet! Gracie's Mom had good advice.. but please do not leave the dog and cat together alone for a long time... till you are so sure that all is well. My sister lost 2 cats because of her daughter's pit.. the pit was around the cats all the time as a puppy, but then daughter moved and was only home once a month or two to visit.. well, everyone was gone to dinner and when they arrived home. all Hell most have broke out because 2 of her cats were almost dead.. the vet did all he could for them but they died the next day.. so please be careful.. Good luck..

·
Registered
111 Posts
that is a great picture

·
Registered
281 Posts
lol great picture of your dobe and cat ..they really look like they are in a mood with each other :D

the one thing i wanna know is how you keep your cream carpet staying cream! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts