Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog, Che, has had a skin condition for about 2 months now. Four trips to 3 different vets here in Thailand hasn't resulted in much change. They diagnose some kind of bacterial infection OR possibly a reaction to mosquitoes or grass. None of them think it is food-related as the concentration of bumps/hair loss seem to be around his shoulders and the top of his back legs only. If you look at him in his normal standing position, you can't see the bumps/hair loss. If I put him on his back I can see the small spots where hair has gone and there are small bumps. His breeder has a fantastic reputation- doesn't speak much English though but assures me it's not genetic. I've had him on Chicken Soup and other good kibble. I am going to try a raw diet and see if this doesn't do the trick. Have a look at the pic I have noticed that the little bumps are now pink in colour and are NOT just on his shoulders- they have spread to under his arms. He does spend a great deal of time outside, and yes- there are lots of mosquitoes here, but that doesn't explain why he has bumps UNDER his legs. Anyone have any ideas I am desperate for help... It seems his coat GENERALLY is not as good as it should be. I tried washing him with Aloe Vera special shampoo for scling- the breeder reckons thats a bad idea (not what the vet said). Just seems I am getting a lot of contradictory advice. PLEASE HELP! :(

Attachments

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Has he had a skin scraping done?
How old is he?
Was he treated w/ oral antibiotics? If so, did he improve with them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes he did improve a little bit- I kept him on for 2 weeks- slight improvement, but only slight. The vet said she didn't want to keep him on antibiotics and gave me more anti-histamine instead. To be honest, the anti-histamine didnt seem to make any difference and now that he has been OFF the antibiotics, it's gotten far worse. The first course of antibiotics didn't do much- the second vet said that the first course wasnt powerful enough so gave me a stronger batch. This stronger batch definitely seemed to do more. It's just so hard to tell a difference sometimes. You think I ought to go and get another batch of antibiotics? These bumps are pink in colour when they start then they flatten out to form a scab. No puss, but he does scratch at them from time to time. After a while they flatten out and form a scab, when the scab comes off so does a bit of hair. Che is now 6 months old, so still quite young...

·
Banned
593 Posts
Looks JUST like Hope & Fire. They came to me looking like that...only 1 inch round patches of hairloss.Then the hair grew in (the vet did scrapings & found nothing either) again & I fed them treats & they look just like your pup. Mine look like that on the top of their back & down each side. The welts start red & look like hives. then they get smaller & look skin color.
I used OTC hydrocotizone cream on them for 2 days & the welts dried up & the hair is growing back. I also stopped the treats.
I think it's an additive allergy.
Hope you find out the problem with yours. BTW- Mine do not have bumps anywhere else other than the places mention & the tops of their heads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rachael. Thing is I have had him for more than 5 months already. When I got him he had a great coat. Breeder used to feed him Royal Canin- I have fed him mostly Chicken Soup and Nutra Gold- both holistic and rated much higher than RC. I don't give him any treats- I do, however give him Cod liver Omega 3 oil to help his skin and have given him quite a bit of calcium tablets (to help his ears stand). When you say an additive allergy, what additives do you think it could be? As I stay in the middle of nowhere and can't get the holistic stuff as regulalry as possible- I recently switched to a cheaper option of kibble- as I'm waiting for my supplier to get me my regular dog food again. Maybe this is coincidental, but switching to this food may have caused the sudden worsening. Do you think I ought to go raw diet and see if he improves? That way I'd now if he was reacting to an additive in the kibble...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from a fourth vet. Reckons it's a problem not associated with allergies, mosquitoes etc. but also could not tell me what it is. Says I will have to keep Che on antibiotics for a few months until he's over a year old (by which time-according to him- he will outgrow this problem). I had another inspection and noticed that a few of the pimples under his legs and on his tummy have increased and some have a yellow head (pus- never before noticed that). His hair has also thinned quite significantly over his quarters. Like I said before- I am going to go raw- not BARF- but raw with oats, loads of meat and some veggies (a formula I saw online). Will also try and give him as much oily fish and fatty oil supplements as possible...

Holding thumbs...

Charl

·
Banned
593 Posts
Sorry to hear the pimples (so to speak) have changed to pustules! Mine haven't had that. I said allergy to additives because I was told the treats I was giving had a lot (Bil*Jacs). I hav switched to simple dried chicken breast treats. I was given info when i got the dogs that they had a LAMB allergy. Perhaps not...perhaps. I don't know. I don't want to find out by having moth eaten looking dogs! :nana:

Sorry to hear it's hard for you to get the foods you want to feed. I am not at all familiar with BARF or Raw diets. I was using a kibble equivalent to Diamond Naturals Chicken, Veg, & Rice. My runt pup was developing HOD (knuckiling over) from high calcium & high protien because I was stuffing her full of cottage cheese, nutrical, cheese, yogurt, puppy food wet, and dry,etc. trying to get weight on her post-parvo. I managed to double her weight in a week, tripple it in two. She's now over 15 pounds from 4. Anyway, all that caused the HOD to start...so I looked into that & put her on Eagle Pack holistic puppy wet & Prozyme, plus some dry samples the pet store gave me of the Eagle Pack adult Holistic. I was going to wrap her legs, but she straightened out in 3 days. WEIRD!

Her coat is looking batter too. it's kinda out-of-the way for me to get the Eagle Pack...so I am trying to find a food that's easier to come by for daily use once they hit a year old.
I was leaning towards the Chicken Soup , myself.

Good Luck with the antibiotics. be sure to check out Prozyme Products Home Page - Superior Enzyme Supplements for Pets and Humans if your pups going to be on longtime antibiotics. I bought their sample for $6 shipping (may be more overseas...if they won't send it to you, let me know & I'll order it & send it for ya). it took 2 days to arrive & seems to be a decent size bottle to find out if it works out for your dog. They also give you a $6 coupon for your next purchase. Works for me. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
it looks like a secondary infection.. possibly staph? if he was doing good on the royal canin why did you take him off it? if he got these skin issues AFTER taking him off the royal canin put him back on it now..

if you are going to feed raw, make sure you do your research BEFORE you start, as the dog must get the proper bones/meat/organs ratio to make sure they get all the nutrients they need. you can find raw info here http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/235-raw-feeding-faq.html

also, he should be on antibiotics for at least 30 days, as if the infection is secondary a 2 week round of antibiotics wont work, it will need to be at least 30 days to treat the underlying infection. do you have dermatologists out there by any chance? if so, go see one..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, came across this old thread while searching for answers to my dogs skin issue. I have a 6 month old Rust Red Doberman also having the exact same issues. Was wondering if you ever came across anything that works? I was also thinking of switching him to a raw diet.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
The original poster hasn't been seen in over 12 years. You might want to make your own post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts