Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black and rust male doberman that is going to be 2 years old in a few months. When he turned about 1 he started to get this small patch of bumps on the side of his body near his butt and since then it's only gotten worse! My family and I took him to our vet and he gave him some steroids and it really helped but as we slowly started to give Zeus (his name) less of the steroids the bumps came back. At one point the bumps were covering the entire trunk of his body but there were none on his head or legs that I saw.

There is also one bump in particular that is huge. It has gone from really raised and big, but now it's' more flat and still really big and most of the hair is lost on the patch of skin. The bumps don't appear to itch or bug him with the exception of the big one on occasion he will try to lick it.

Since then we have taken Zeus to a vet that specializes in dermatology and he is giving him a lower dose of steroids as well as having us put cream on his one really big bump and like I said the steroids really help, but we can't keep him on that forever. Has anyone experienced anything like this? The vet did a biopsy on a few different bumps that he had and determined it wasn't cancer or anything and that it is probably an allergic reaction but we have done so many different things and he's not getting better. We have gradually switched his food several times. We cleaned all of our carpets for dust mites. He is outside a lot and could definitely be eating things like grass, trass, sticks etc...we live kind of in the country and he has about 10 acres run around in.

I don't think it's folliculitis. But the bumps are under the fur and kind of make the fur stand up if you catch it right. I haven't tried to pop them but they seem like they are just skin lumps. I don't want something like this to shorten the life span of Zeus he's such a good, amazing dog, could he have something like these bumps on the inside?

It's getting really frustrating because I don't know if this vet is really doing all the he could be doing for him. Does ANYONE have suggestioins or SOMETHING!? I'm worried and don't know what to do.

I tried to do my own research but not much luck. Oh, and we have also tried to bathe him with special shampoo but that didn't work either.

This is the best picture I had, he's the black and rust doberman and if you look towards his butt you can see the big flat bump that I was talking about the steroids have helped the other smaller bumps.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/Majin_koz/100_3365.jpg

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Did they rule out staph right away?

What kinds of foods did you use? Did they have you do an elimination diet to find out if it is a food allergy?

If you are giving prednisone, you might want to give Denamarin (from Vet) or Sam E (at Walgreen's etc.) and Milk Thistle (health food stores) to help his liver. DenaMarin is Sam E and Milk Thistle combined.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Yes, are the bumps staph? Has your dermatologist said anything about it being allergies? If you are not satisfied with your vet dermatologist, then find another one or maybe an allergist. It is hard to say with what information you have given.
Watch out about switching his food around blindly. If you have to do a food test it will make it difficult for you to find a novel protein and carb source/one your dog hasn't eaten before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your comments but my vet said that it is definitely not a staph infection. He said it is very likely that it is an allergy to something but we're not sure what. Allergy testing is obviously really expensive.

We have been really careful about switching his food around. We always research what is good and we do it slowly not suddenly. I'm sorry it's not a lot of information I was able to give but I will check his medication to see exactly what we are giving him.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Inhaled allergies are FAR more common than food allergies.
I would recommend discussing your questions with the veterinary dermatologist.
(someone posted about seeing an "allergist" - there is no such specialty in veterinary medicine and allergies are by far what dermatologists deal with the most).

Allergies are not something we can cure, but rather something we control with medications - antihistamines, fish oil, steroids, etc. They often lead to secondary issues - such as bacterial or yeast infections of the skin, ears, etc. The vast majority of things dogs are allergic to are things we have little or no control over (pollens, molds, dusts, grasses, etc).

Really, if he has severe allergies (that antihistamines are not enough) then I would recommend allergy testing and hyposensitization injections ("allergy shots"). Unfortunately there are no quick fixes or magical cures for allergies (in dogs or people).

Also, keep in mind that treating allergies often means several different modes (steroids, antihistamines, omega 3, shampoos, etc) -- each one by itself may not work that great, but all together lets us use lower doses and get control of the situation. And if you wait until signs are severe before starting meds, it takes higher doses and stronger meds than if you use a preventative approach -i.e. if we know a dog has trouble every spring, starting the dog on antihistamines in late winter may be very helpful -- so they are already on board before the dog is accosted with high levels of allergens. If a dog comes in and is very pruritic (itchy), losing hair, skin is red all over, etc., an antihistamine is not going to be enough.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Wow, that is odd. Flea bite allergic reaction? Hives? how often do you bath your dog and what type of shampoo do you use? Has anything changed at all in the last year.........home, yard, water, etc.? What brand of food do you feed now?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Have you used a new shampoo? I bathed Scandal in something new and am now treating him with benadryl as he broke out in hives. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts