Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one year old Red Dobie has developed bumps all over. They don't seem to bother him but are extremely ugly and somewhat concerning. I took him to the vet, and they took cell samples (It's not cancer) but other than that they had no idea. His brothers and sisters do not seem to have this issue as I personally know one owner and also contacted the breeder. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dog Plant Working animal Carnivore Whiskers

Dog Dog breed Collar Working animal Ear

Whiskers Fawn Rodent Snout Terrestrial animal

Hair Grey Wood Fawn Liver

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
Is that a blue dog? It doesn't look like anything related to CDA and I would probably get a referral to a good vet dermatologist/allergist. So often having even very good general practitioners fail to identify a specific problem is a waste of time. Dermatologist see more of the odd stuff and are much more apt to come up with an accurate diagnosis which is the first step to working out a treatment.

Do these bumps show up suddenly in their full size? If they were distributed over more of the dog I'd think they look more like individual bites (but if they don't itch that's probably not the case) or hives--not all hives are itchy but will make big bumps like that--but the distribution tends to be more even over the whole dog.

Obviously I don't know but good luck on tracking down the cause.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
Well, that could be but the most common wart that dogs show up with are oral papilloma--in and immediately around the mouth. I've never seen those even as far removed as the one on his nose and I've never seen them on the body.

Did your vet take a small piece of one of them and look at it microscopably?

dobebug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep they cell checked it..no cancer. They gave me 3 weeks of Cephalexin...2 weeks in zero results

I think I need a dermatologist, the closest is 350 miles away with a 2 month waiting list

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
How many of those does he have? It just occurred to me that the one on his nose looks kind of like a hystiocytoma--puppies and young dogs grow them--you can have them removed but their usual life span on a dog is weeks to months and left alone most of them disappear. But you rarely see more than one at a time.

Early in their development most of them look kind of wart-like--have a bumpy surface which sometimes just stays like that but sometimes the surface will start to bleed before they go away.

Just so you know--Cephalexin--is a perfectly good antibiotic for a lot of skin issues but doesn't do a thing to warts nor to hystiocytomas. Go to Google and look up hystiocytomas on dogs. (because I wasn't sure I was spelling it correctly. ) And as an incidental result of doing that I'll pass along to you something I didn't know about them--they are common in young dogs of several breeds--and then they listed the breeds--guess what--Dobermans are one of the commonly affected. Ask your vet if when they were checking for cancer cells from that bump if they checked for the cells that are present in hystiocytomas--it's the same kind of test basically.

I've had them show up on my young dogs occasionally. And I've seen them on the young dogs of friends. And even though they are regarded as something that is common only in young dogs my 9 year old fawn dog grew something on his shoulder (it looked a lot like the one on your dogs nose) so I dragged him out as his vet, who was doing surgeries that day had finished up and was trying to leave for lunch. I had looked at the lump--I thought--"This looks like a hysticytoma--how weird.." His vet looked at it and said "Boy, that looks like a hystiocytoma---huh!" Then he sent a tech to find some more of our vets to look at it--the consensus was that it looked like a hystiocytoma. So instead of going to lunch, his vet laid him on a surgery table, numbed the area and removed it because he really didn't want to mess with just taking a sample if it turned out to be a mast cell of some sort.

When we got the pathology report back it was indeed a hystiocytoma--and we had a note from the pathologist asking if this was a 9 month old dog not a 9 year old dog. You really do see them mostly only on young dogs.

I'm not a vet, not even a tech but I've spent 16 years working in a vet clinic and have had Dobermans (mostly) since 1959.

So this is just a thought..

dobebug

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
The Dermatologist was stumped and said this is highly unusual and had no definitive answer. Next step is to remove them and send to a pathologist for further examination. ☹
It's pretty hard tp stump a dermatologist and the logical next step would be to get one of the bumps to a pathologist--one of my Dobes did have an identifiable something growing on his rib cage--and that was what we ended up doing--I can't remember what it turned out to be (one of the round cell tumors) (evidently there a many kinds and some are benign and some aren't) My dogs was benign and since the whole thing had been removed with big margins that was the end of it except that my vet pointed out that the pathologist did say that this kind of growth did sometime grow back. It didnt grow back and that was the end of it.

Good luck--let us know what it turns out to be.

dobebug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
5 lumps were removed and one was sent to Idexx Labs....The conclusion is Cutaneous Reactive Histiocytosis they asked for another sample to analyze, luckily our vet froze the spares. At least it's not life threatening but we still have no idea why he has the lumps? (He still has 5 or 6 more on him)
Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore Working animal

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn
Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore Working animal
Dog Green Carnivore Collar Liver
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn

Dog Green Carnivore Collar Liver

1 - 17 of 17 Posts