Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that we are getting nicer weather I am bumping up Gracie's training. I have been working on her recall, since her recall is very weak. She is good with almost all other commands except come and stay. So I took her out back and hooked her up to her 30 foot leash, and I would put her in a sit/stay, then call her over to me. Half the time she ran right past me a kept going, the other half she ran right to my side and tugged on the leash. I also need to work on her stay a little bit more.

Just wondering how all of you taught stay? When ever I put her in a stay if she tries to move a make a loud but stern Ahh at her. Which she will sit or down right away. But I have put her in a stay and forgot to release her a few times so after about 10 minutes she gets up and wonders around and I forgot that I even put her in a stay. So that is more my fault than hers.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I do clicker training. I would put my hand out in front of Gracie and tell her to stay (command).First you want to stay at arm leaks so the dog can see the treat.And when she stays c/t. Then when she has mastered that go farther.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I would restart by only having her stay for a very very short time every time. And only walk around her, holding the leash, or a short ways from her still holding the leash. The key is to set them up for success only. If you know she may break the stay, don't give her an opportunity to. Start basic, so she is always succeding.

As for the come, with Lex teaching come, I always gave a food reward. Reason being, if I was ever in a situation, life or death (near a road or something), I needed her to come to me and come now, her history has always been to get a food reward when she came, so she has always come. It has always been positive all the way. After that was down pat, we worked on training up a bit on come-fronts and such.

I would work her stay a little more before working her on long distance comes. Just start with your 6 foot leash stay/comes for now IMO. You can run backwards also to gain some ground as she comes and you keep calling her. Reward reward reward, and the good stuff too! A come may save her life some day. You can work on the more detailed come fronts later.

I have had a few such instances, and possibly it saved her life.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Okay, I'm going to try to describe this but am not sure if it will work.
You can work with clicker training as HM has described (most of our stay work has been done with c/t and just lots of repitition)
If you are working her with a collar and leash the position of you, the dog and your hands on the leash is pretty important.
With Gracie in the heel position, tell her to stay and then step away, leading with your right foot (I was taught to lead with the right on a stay and the left when heeling, also just say "stay" not "Gracie, Stay"). Don't even really take a step, just pivot in front of her - then release her. Initially you're just getting her used to staying put while you move but don't expect too much too soon. Of course you're probably past this stage :)
So, move to the next step. From the heel position, tell her to stay, take two steps and turn to face her. You're going to have your left hand holding the loop of the lead (start with a 6ft) and your right hand about half way down. so it's almost just below her nose level. If she breaks this "stay" hold the leash taunt with the left hand and slide your right hand down the leash but pulling up at the same time. This will "correct" her from moving and reinforce the "sit" position.
I've found it best to work slowly with "stay". At this point if I have Chi 25ft away and she breaks the position, I need only to kind of lift my right hand in that same motion and she will almost always recover.
Did any of that make sense?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that makes perfect sense. Gracie is okay at stay inside unless I forget about her. I don't forget I just use a loud tone and she self corrects but that doesn't work outside this time. I will be trying these today when I take her out. :)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Teaching stay was quite fun for us. Remember the three combinations of stay, down/stay. sit/stay. and stand/stay. I would suggest starting with down/stay first because its more difficult for the dog to move out of a down stay.

We used tha hand signal of the palm, flat out facing the dog, like you would to stop someone approaching you. With that in mind, put her in a down position in front of you. Use the handsignal and verbal command and then take a step back, step forward to her and reward. You would want to do this until you are able to back up atleast 6 feet from her. So start with a small distance and then increase when she has successful accomplished the shorter distances.

When you are able to get atleast six feet away from her, start to move around, like a half moon, on either side of her. Each time, start off in front of her and move back, then a few steps around and then retrace your steps back in to her and once you get back to her, reward her. The goal is being able to walk completely around her, without her moving. Keep adding more distance and eventually you will be able to move 30 feet from her and walk around her with no problems. Then you need to do this with the sit/stay and the stand/stay, since it will be easier for her to move in these positions.

With the down/stay. it seems they learn quickly that if I lay here and do nothing I get a treat. Have fun with this one....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts