Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take your Dobie to punish one and how often do you divvy them out? **** will love on it for a very short time licking all the outside goop off, then it is gone in no time. He's still a huge fan of the elk horns, but I bought some bully's to mix it up and they disappear like money in a slot machine... FAST!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Diesel can eat a whole bully stick in about 30 minutes to an hour. They used to last much longer when he was really young. Usually a week but now there just for special treats because it's too much money to keep buying them when they don't last :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Even if I buy the 12" jumbo sized ones they don't last long. He may get one or two every couple of weeks, but at this point I'm not buying the bigger/better ones.

I did try the Himalayan chews, which seemed pretty good, but they would shatter when dropped on the hardwood floors. Ivan would then swallow a decent sized chunk only to throw it up later partially digested.

Ivan also has a couple of deer and elk antlers, but shows almost zero interest in them.

So, anyhow, at this point I buy a variety of things (trachea chews, corporal bone, knuckle bone, etc.) and don't count on any of them lasting too long.

·
Registered
22 Posts
She's not a dobe, but my girl devours a 12" bully in anywhere from 12-30 minutes depending on if it's a braided one or not. She only gets them when she's crated during agility class though, so about one a week. Sometimes I'll throw a stuffed kong in the crate instead, because as kwhite said, they can be quite expensive to keep buying all the time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn takes maybe 30-45 minutes? He gets the 2foot long ones too. He used to get one weekly but now that he's started also getting marrow bones, chicken thighs, chicken feet, etc he sometimes gets only one or two a month.

·
Registered
705 Posts
DUDE!! I always wondered what part the muscle was from! Who knew I was feeding my dog weiners! LOL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
For a 12" Bully Stick it takes Keira about a half hour to 45 mins to go through one, Ripley 45mins to an hour and it takes Dance about 15 to 20mins. Sometimes Ripley will get through his a little quicker but he likes to take as much time as possible. But yeah, they're definitely not very cost effective to give very often.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Yep. New meaning to the words "beef by-product". :D I never realized pizzle was an Old English word, though, until I looked them up on Wikipedia. I thought it was just cutesy-sounding euphamism someone thought up.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
All you half hour-45 minute people are lucky! Mabel gets a bully anything even in the long 2 ft kind and its 10 minutes tops! They are a rare treat, she gets real bones, antlers, and non edible nylabones otherwise.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
All you half hour-45 minute people are lucky! Mabel gets a bully anything even in the long 2 ft kind and its 10 minutes tops! They are a rare treat, she gets real bones, antlers, and non edible nylabones otherwise.
I think brand can make a difference too. My guys have gone through some in 5-10 minutes but others last a little longer for some reason.

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
Nox is a gentle chewer, his 24" bullys will last him the WHOLE day. haha

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Once I give Elka a bully stick, it is her mission to consume it as soon as possible. I had some super short buffalo ones that I got for free (I think I won them + other treats on the Modern Dog magazine web site?) and they reeked and were gone in 20ish minutes (they were shorter, but thicker and somewhat tougher). The 12 inch odor free ones, while lovely and odor free, also only last 20-30 minutes tops.

That counts the celebratory prancing, her shoving it in your face, and the chewing and then the licking after.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Tali can finish a 12" bully stick in about 8-10 minutes. She's not called my little piggy for nothing - she earned that name. :)

Fiona can finish a 12" bully stick in about 20-minutes assuming I'm willing to hold it for her. If I don't hold it for her then it takes her about 45-minutes to an hour because she spends about 30 of those minutes throwing it in my lap repeatedly, shoving the drool soaked chew in my hand, nose punching me, pawing me, complaining at me, following me around while carrying it and trying to shove it in my hand when she thinks she has a chance, etc. Basically doing anything and everything trying to get me to hold it for her, with small breaks of her laying down when I tell her to and attempting to chew it alone for about 30-seconds before harassing me with it again. Usually I wait to give them chews until later at night so I can just hold the damn thing for her rather than have a battle for 45-min to an hour.

I rarely give bully sticks anyway though. Tali doesn't need all those extra calories, so bully sticks are an occasional treat and not a dietary staple for my girls.

Reactions: PartLab
1 - 17 of 17 Posts