Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight when I was brushing Zeus, I noticed a large bump an inch or so below his elbow. So, of course, I went into instant OMG!! mode. My husband thinks he might've been bitten by a fire ant because he (hubby) was bitten a week or so ago when he was out mowing the lawn. He says the bump on Zeus's leg looks a lot like the bites that were on his ankle when they swole up. I had noticed a small bump in that same area a few days ago, but I figured it was just a bug bite. But now, it's so much bigger I don't know. I do know ant bites do swell, so I'm not sure if I'm just being my usual paranoid self. I haven't seen him licking, nibbling, or scratching at it. But of course, I'm ready to run to the vet to possibly spend unnecessary money for her tell me that it's just an insect bite or something, but they're closed til Monday. Soooo ... until then, will y'all let me know what you think of these pictures? Zeus's bump:

Bite1 by Crystal Robinson, on Flickr

Bite2 by Crystal Robinson, on Flickr

Bite3 by Crystal Robinson, on Flickr

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im looking up some stuff now on the ant bites, luckily dobermans are a bit larger because it looks like ant bites can be severe enough to be fatal.

Decent link for info: https://m.petmd.com/dog/parasites/how-identify-and-treat-ant-bites-dogs

Im reading that it may cause a raised bump and to maybe use an ice pack to reduce swelling.

From what I’m seeing the bumps/bite should be a lot smaller looking though, unless it has gotten infected.

Are the pics showing multiple spots or just one spot? Does it feel warm? If it lingers any longer maybe a trip to the vet is necessary, even though they might only prescribe antibiotics.

Our guys have had bumps large like that when they were younger on that same hairline on the leg and it turned out to be in grown hairs. Not saying this is the case but a possibility.

·
Premium Member
7,070 Posts
IMO ...
If Zeus is leaving it alone thats good. Let it be and watch. If he is messing with it thats a different ball game.
Do not put anything on it as that will call attention to this bump and Zeus will want to lick and once a dog smells blood ...yum!
Hoss had has some ant bites this season ....also over the years Experienced ingrown hairs.
With ingrown hairs I always see that black dot at the tip of the bump (the hair trying to find its way out of the follicle).
It may improve on its own but you should see improvement daily so keep taking PICs for comparison shots.
Hoss dermatologists always encourages use of a natural astringent 3 parts Cool water 1 part vinegar with these bumps.
No rubbing or touching in that area.......just pour the mixture over that area and pat dry if necessary to keep it clean.
Sometimes these bumps will improve on there own Over a few days ...yet other times the vet has to help out.
Zeus has a good belly and poop now so sure would be nice to avoid oral meds. If possible as you have worked so hard to get those issues resolved.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@DobieGang It's one bump. I have three pictures because I was trying to get a good angle and close up of it, but they're all the same bump. It doesn't feel warm. Also, yikes I didn't realize ant bites could be so dangerous! We treated one mound we saw but I'm sure there are others out there. Bleh!
@LadyDi I'll keep an eye on it. On further inspection last night, we found a second bump, this one way more difficult to see because it's on the side of neck where his fur is thick. His fur there is clumped, which makes me think it blistered, burst, and is now scabbing because it's hard. Smaller than the one on his leg as well. I rinsed it with antiseptic (I'll mix water and vinegar today) and left it alone.

If I don't see improvement in a few days, I'll take him to the vet and have them look at both areas.

You know, I've been noticing some gray hairs on my head...I blame Zeus!! Lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like a good plan so far hope zeus gets better. My boys have been given me gray hairs too but luckily i gave them some too lol

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
If he isn't licking it, I'd just monitor it. If he's licking it I'd want to get something to stop him from doing so, to allow it to heal. I don't think it warrants an emergency call to the vet, though.

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
At first I was thinking recluse spider bite and then saw the pics.

My horse had a pimple looking thing like that. In his case it was a place on his front leg where he clipped himself with his hind hoof.

It never went away.

Does it ooze or bleed? Does he constantly lick it?

I like Di's suggestion that it's an ingrown hair.

Howdy there Gamer!

Don't listen to me. I don't know anything about anything.

Although, in my opinion, it's not a fire ant. Fire ants attack in multiples. Used to live in Texas and one had to watch out for those critters.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@StrykersPerson of course I'll listen to you! Everyone here knows way more than I do! :)

And YIKES aren't recluse spiders extremely poisonous? He hasn't been acting differently at all (not sick or lethargic, but he did go off his food for a few days but he's back to eating well now). Here are more pictures as of this morning. It doesn't look too different than it did on Sunday. Just a little more crusty? I haven't been rubbing at it to clean it. Just rinsing it every now and then. And still no chewing, licking, scratching, or biting at the area from Zeus (granted, it is in an awkward place but I feel like if it was really bothering he'd make an effort to get at it.) I think..maybe I see a black dot, so possibly an ingrown hair? If it is, do these things resolve themselves?

20200721_093606 by Crystal Robinson, on Flickr

20200721_093755 by Crystal Robinson, on Flickr

20200721_093656 by Crystal Robinson, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
7,070 Posts
With Hoss ingrown hairs was a “watch and wait” .
It required me the human to leave the condition alone except for the vinegar and water.
I took pictures daily of his bumps and once all the redness went away we used chlorahexidine shampoo 2 % and just poured the cool solution over Hoss.
No touching or creating a lather...
We had to avoid hot water and anything that would sting Hoss so be careful with antiseptic’s that will sting.
So all solutions were cool versus warmed.
Thats has we ended up with Vinegar and water ....its a natural astringent with a natural PH balance.
Hope the drying up keeps happening............thats good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For in grown hairs we’re always cleared them out. Id sit with tweezers and some gentle squeezing to clear up the hairs. Clean of course and put some triple-antibiotic. It usually would heal up in a few days. I had this happen often by the elbows, hair lines, and under the chin the most.

Im sure you can let it resolve itself with the proper ointments but I never wanted to risk having a large infection or worse swelling by leaving anything inside.

How does it look today?

·
Premium Member
7,070 Posts
Go with your gut Gamer.
You can always get Vet to do a simple skin scraping to make sure its not something else if this continues.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,104 Posts
In that second shot, it looks a little like a histiocytoma starting to form. But I'm not very good at skin diagnosing——and I'm very good at jumping to conclusions, especially if I can make a molehill turn into a mountain.

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
In that second shot, it looks a little like a histiocytoma starting to form. But I'm not very good at skin diagnosing——and I'm very good at jumping to conclusions, especially if I can make a molehill turn into a mountain.
I don't know what a histiocytoma really is, I guess I could Google it, but I ran out of Google energy today. If it bothers you, Gamer, take him in to have him looked at.

Doesn't look that worrisome to me. Disclaimer! I'm not a vet!

Do we get pictures of the entire dog?

:grin2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts