Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buffalo Blue Wilderness Alternative Dog Food?

Hi,

I currently feed my doberman buffalo blue chicken adult but I realized that it may not be sufficient meat content for him as he is beginning to lose weight. Also, I found out that this product contains more grains that other buffalo products. I want to try Buffalo Blue Wilderness but it is more expensive and they only offer up to 26lbs as oppose the the norm. 30lbs.

What alternative dog food products should i be lookin into that provides just as much meat content (less grain) as buffalo blue wilderness?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Orijen
Innova EVO
Taste of the Wild
Wellness Core

Those are all grain-free foods and all have a high protein content vs. foods with grain.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Blue Buffalo has grain in it? It was on my list for grain-free foods to try, hmm maybe I'm wrong...anyways, this is off subject but ever since I've been on DT and know what good food is, I looked at a bag of "old yeller" and the first 2 ingredients were corn and soybeans! Yuck, but anyways I'm not sure what the difference is between Blue Buffalo and the Blue Buffalo Wilderness veriaty, I've been wondering as well. The food Travis suggested all have good reviews, but I can only speak for Taste of the Wild since that is what I feed Colt and he loves it...he's been doing well on it (aside from me giving him diarrhea when I switched veriaties-my fault!). Good luck :)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I love Natural Balance. Most formulas are for dogs with allergies, so I don't know whats in their general formula, or if they even have one. I feel like it's reasonably priced, and one of the few foods that has worked for Nina.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Blue Buffalo does contain brown rice, barley, and oatmeal so its not grain free, but those are high quality and not as bad as corn meal. Taste of the wild is a step up from regular blue buff. Blue wilderness is even better and anything with as much protein is gonna be more expensive.

The blue buff large breed is the highest protein in their standard line and pretty high in cal/cup. For the money/quality, BB or TOTW are good options.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your suggestions and recommendations.
I will research this a lil more and keep you all updated.

Thanks!
okay, so i've come across this product after some research:

by Nature BrightLife Canine Food

it is listed as a 5-star rating but I am still skeptical.
I read that TOTW is a Diamond Company and many dogs used to die from it.
I am not sure about by Nature and have not come across any news regarding recalls.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
677 Posts
okay, so i've come across this product after some research:

by Nature BrightLife Canine Food

it is listed as a 5-star rating but I am still skeptical.
I read that TOTW is a Diamond Company and many dogs used to die from it.
I am not sure about by Nature and have not come across any news regarding recalls.

What do you guys think?
Diamond was part of the pet food recall a couple of years back, and some people are still put off by that even though they've improved their QC.

However, I thought you were looking for a grain-free food?

I still think that Innova Evo, Orijen, Wellness CORE and TOTW are all really good foods. Out of all of those, TOTW is most likely the least expensive. I found it to be less expensive than Blue Buffalo.

How old is your boy? It's not really recommended to feed EVO or Wellness Core to pups (may be too rich).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Diamond was part of the pet food recall a couple of years back, and some people are still put off by that even though they've improved their QC.

However, I thought you were looking for a grain-free food?

I still think that Innova Evo, Orijen, Wellness CORE and TOTW are all really good foods. Out of all of those, TOTW is most likely the least expensive. I found it to be less expensive than Blue Buffalo.

How old is your boy? It's not really recommended to feed EVO or Wellness Core to pups (may be too rich).
Yea, I was searchin for grain-free food but my primary concern was the lack of meat content in BB and then I found by Nature BrightLife Canine Food which was a five star rated on dog food analysis (as mentioned by dobesrule). Then again, the analysis was done on Review Date: Thu January 5, 2006.

Haven't really heard anyone using this brand and the product is seldom reviewed by customers, but I find it be very affordable.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It is safe to add things to kibble. You can add meat, veggies or whatever you like as long as they are safe and healthy. I'm sure you already know to NOT add grapes, raisins, or spicy foods such as onions and hot peppers. Mine like plain yogurt, hamburger meat, other beef, chicken, sardines, canned salmon or mackeral. I rarely add veggies, as I feel they don't need those really. If you do add them I would suggest you grind them or chop them up finely and lightly steam them, because they are easier to digest this way. Some say to cook meat before adding it, but other's also say it's okay to add raw meat. I would probably cook it a little like you mentioned if you're just starting to add things. I would only add one thing at first and let your dog get used to it before adding other things. You don't want to over supplement. If your dog is doing well on what they are eating then I would not change the food, especially if you add fresh foods to it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm the kibble 'whore' and tried almost all grain free from allover the world. I found championpetfoods to be the best manufacturers. they produce Orijen and Acana. TOTW gave my dobe the runs, EVO made her farts sulphuric smelling and wellness CORE was great but she snuffed it after a few weeks and wont touch their fish recipe let alone anything with high fish content. Check this out,Acana Provincial is the same as orijen but protein is lower and is for ALL life stages Has 3 different flavours, Ethoxyquin-free. I rotate with Honest kitchen dehydrated and her red coat has a rich sheen to it while nose pimples went away which she got on 40% + protein kibbles.link is here

Champion Petfoods | ACANA | Our Products

1 - 14 of 14 Posts