Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy has a sore on his Gum seems to have showed up fast looked at his teeth last week only a little tarter so was going to give him a Raw Turkey neck for the 1st time. Read in Dog Fancy Natural that Turkey necks was cartilage not really bone would clean their teeth. ? Had both to the vets today for their shots mainly the lepto since all the wild life come into our back yard at night when Patches and Buddy are in the house.The vet said to keep an eye on the sore on his gum may need a dental cleaning told him I wanted to try the Turkey neck first the vet just told me to make sure he did not bolt it down that he chew on it.Any one know about sore on gums ???? thanks for any reply s.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Can you post a photo or describe the sore a little more precisely?

I feed raw, and I do NOT feed turkey necks. They are fine for little dogs, but bigger dogs can try to suck them straight down and get them stuck... my bitch would totally try to do this, and get into trouble. If you can find them, lamb necks are great for dental cleaning... whole ones run about two pounds, and you can get a butcher to split them down the center lengthwise... the bone is quite digestable, and they are way too big to choke on.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sore is the pink gum color looks layered did get a Turkey neck but sat in a chair and watched him mostly licked it,carried it around did chew on it some but not much.He was carrying it around it circles looking for a place to hide it.I finely asked him for it gave it up to me put it in a bag and put it in another bag put it in the freezer. Yes think I will have to come up with $152.99 for a dental for him.Most of the time big dogs do not need dentals my 2 Bouvier s never did wonder what the difference is,Buddy does have really big teeth and a very pronounced Sagial Crest ???on the top of his head.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The sore is the pink gum color looks layered did get a Turkey neck but sat in a chair and watched him mostly licked it,carried it around did chew on it some but not much.He was carrying it around it circles looking for a place to hide it.I finely asked him for it gave it up to me put it in a bag and put it in another bag put it in the freezer. Yes think I will have to come up with $152.99 for a dental for him.Most of the time big dogs do not need dentals my 2 Bouvier s never did wonder what the difference is,Buddy does have really big teeth and a very pronounced Sagial Crest ???on the top of his head.
No clue on the sore... be easier with a picture, i think.

Some dogs take a while to get the hang of raw stuff... you might try holding the neck and letting him chew on the other end.

Aside from the fact that toy dogs typically need more in the way of dental care, I don't think big dogs are automatically exempt. I would guess that there are lots of factors at play... diet, chewing/playing style, individual biochemistry. My eight-year-old, raw-fed girl has never even had her teeth brushed, and they are fine... my male, who was also raw-fed, needed a couple of cleanings in his lifetime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts