Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to start to brush the teeth of my dog but i would like to know.
What can i buy to brush her teeth without danger for she can safely swallow it.
And also what i need to brush her teeth can i buy normal human one ?

Do i need to brush her teeth each day, each 2 days or each week.

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
They make doggy toothpaste that is safe for them to swallow. You can either order it online or get it at a pet supply store. They also make extra-long doggy toothbrushes that are nice. But you can also use a human toothbrush, like a children's brush. Just make sure it has soft bristles.

Reactions: Zeusy Boy's Mama

·
Russell & Rex
164 Posts
at my puppy classes they gave me a doggy tooth brush its bouble ended and has very soft bristles, do as often as you like really every day or every other day id do a little every day so the dog gets used to it.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Like Rosemary said, you can get "dog" toothbrushes that are longer and there is also flavored dog toothpaste that is safe for them to swallow. Start slow with brushing, just a quick brush to start with and build up duration. My dogs don't mind having their teeth brushed.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
You can also give things like raw bones for dogs to chew on. The meatier bones like cut up chicken do a good job of imitating a toothbrush and keeping teeth clean.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, if someone has some great trick to get your dog to stay still I'd love to hear it! Does anyone know if like people you shouldn't let them eat for a certain amount of time after getting brushed?

·
Registered
726 Posts
The trick is to get started with them soon as you bring them home. Start with gently putting your finger in their mouth and rubbing it on their teeth and gums. Do this every day for a little bit of time and praise them. Then, add just the brush and gently brush around.

Lastly, you'll introduce the DOG toothpaste (human toothpaste is harmful.) I don't like the flavored types because the dogs just lick, lick, lick, which makes it impossible to brush!

Remember not to mess with your puppy's mouth when teething!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts