Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Brusco has DCM

8K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  KissNme 
#1 ·
We got the dreadful news yesterday from the cardiologist that Brusco (just turned 6 on Monday) has DCM. We went to him because he had 2 episodes of near death. Both times I was there and gave a thump to his chest. My last Doberman, his grandfather died the same way. Never got CHF but sudden death.

I am so sad and not sure what to do. He has a holter on now to check for more PVC's. He did not have many on the EKG. His echo showed the L ventricle already very thin, but the rest of the heart not.

So the decision... do I go on meds and hope he lives a few more months or just let him go. I am so broken. :(

Michelle

#7 · (Edited)
That is really only a question you can answer for yourself. But I can suggest you pick out a couple or three things your boy loves to do and when he can't do some or all of them anymore, then maybe it is time. People usually "know" when the time is right to let a beloved pet go.

Whether you put him on meds or not is a personal decision.

I do know I would rather lose a dog from sudden death than CHF where they are drowning in their own fluids. That is a slow suffering way to go.

I am very sorry you are having to go thru this and sorry your boy has DCM.

Just read you last post. I do think vetmedin is the way to go. It has improved the quality of life and lengthened it in many dobermans. I haven't had a doberman with DCM yet, so can't advise much. Maybe more that have experienced it will help you out.

#12 ·
Hi, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. My boy was in CHF when he was diagnosed with DCM. He was also at risk of sudden death. He was put on Vetmedin, Frusemide, spironolactone & Fortekor(an ACE inhibitor) We chose not to give meds to help with the arrhythmia as quite frankly we were hoping that he would succumb to sudden death & not have to suffer the horror that is CHF. Alas, for my poor boy that's exactly what happened to him.

I will tell you though that my Homer walked into the vets a very sick boy & within a couple of days of being on Vetmedin he was like his old self again. He had great quality of life for the first 2 months or so & was able to do all the things that he loved doing the most. He still went for a short walk each day, played with his toys & would chase the cats from the garden. I made a promise to my boy that I would never let him suffer & I like to think I kept that promise to him.

IMO I would definitely give the Vetmedin a go, you've got nothing to lose by trying it & it may give you some real good quality time with Brusco. Please keep us updated.

Big hugs to you & Brisco.

#13 ·
Thanks so much for your advise. While he is not in CHF at this time, all he wants to do is sleep. He is not his playful self. It would be great to have him play tug and suckle his stuffed toys again - and give me tons of kisses. He is too tired to be the Velcro dog is always was. I think we'll give it a go.

#16 ·
Thanks again everyone. Had a scary episodes yesterday while wearing the Holter. He would try to get up and then not able to keep his legs under him. This lasted for several hours, then all of a sudden, he was able to get up, go outside to pee and ate dinner. This disease is so awful.

So, my husband dropped the monitor off and I guess I'll hear more in a few days. We did start the Vetmedin - but that is all. Maybe because he does not have any breathing issues yet.

Question - where do you get your meds? Which online site is best in your opinion?

His skin is pretty raw from the tape/shaving. What do you use on it? Aloe?

Sorry, so many questions..... you guys are great!

#17 ·
I have never purchased vetmedin, but when I have to purchase large quantities of meds I go where there are the deals...geez, can't think of the term for it, but you get like a hundred pills for $10. Krogers, Walgreens, etc have these price deals. You might ask your vet where he writes prescriptions for those types of price breaks.

Someone will come along with the correct term...:)

Aloe sounds good as very soothing and I don't believe it would hurt if your boy licked it...ask vet to make sure no contradiction with meds.

#18 ·
so sorry to hear this news yet again, I have used Vetmedin on several of my dobeswith DCM and it did seem to help alot. Because it is a vet product only you can not buy at local pharmacy. I know you can get it online for less then what the vet charges. Good luck you you and your boy make every moment count....

#21 ·
So pleased to hear the Vetmedin is working already & Brusco has had a good day.
Can't say that I noticed a change in Homer's appetite when he first started taking it, he had always been a good eater & continued to be until the beginning of the end.
It's great his appetite is good, it's so important he keeps eating.

#24 ·
First I am really sorry to hear about Brusco!
My princess, Bea, was diagnozed with DCM in August 2012.
She died thursday laying next to me in bed.

I added her medical reports and holter result to my website (the last one from last wednesday is still missing - will update tonight or so....).
Add. to the meds who are listed there she was also on Mexiletine.

Dobermannzwinger The lone star - Beatrice vom Elbauetal

Hugs!!!

#27 ·
Brusco doing better!

Brusco been on Vetmedin for about 1.5 weeks now and doing much better. Seems to have a bit more energy and not about to collapse after a bit of activity like he did before. Still sleeps more, but that's OK. He is able to be more of himself... guarding the house, playing with the Chi, suckling his stuffed animals, and giving tons of kisses.

He is on 20 mg a day (10 2x a day). His Holter results came back and while he had a bunch of PVC's he did not have any runs or even couplets.

I am blessed to share every day with him. I have decided not to put him on anything else and when the time comes that he is not able to be himself, I will sadly let him go see his Grandfather Dobe in Heaven.

Thank you everyone. You have been so kind. My heart goes out to all of you who have experienced this with your love as well.

Michelle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.