Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeppers. I called a guy from around here that Bruno's vet recommended. His next set of classes starts in April. He does 6 classes and has about a group of 8 dogs at a time. He said he's really looking forward to train another Dobe ;) Guess he doesn't get them often (very few in our area). So I'm excited. I think Bruno will do really well.

But while I'm on the topic. Does anyone have a good write up, or know where I could get one. On how misunderstood the doberman breed is? I have a problem with my ex sister inlaw. Her and my brother inlaw are going through a divorce. Well her daughter when spending time with her Dad is obviously around Bruno. Since Bruno goes EVERYWHERE with me. I kinda felt insulted when she e-mailed me and asked me to not allow Bruno near her daughter and not to leave them alone (like I'd leave ANY child alone with a dog they barely knew @@). Then she goes on to say it's because his breed and how big he is. PLEASE!! She's around her other uncles dogs all the time. He has an older Rotti...yet my 6 month old Dobe is SCARY? I mean c'mon. So I'd LOVE to give her a write up to read about the Dobe and how misunderstood they are. Just to give her some info, ya know? Also I offered her a letter from the vet stating Bruno is a well mannered dog and a copy of the obedience certf. when he's done. I mean, what more can I do? I really did go off on her tho in an e-mail letting her know I was so insulted that she'd even say such a thing about my Bruno. Then to think I'd bring a dog I didn't think was safe for my own children (you've all seen pictures, Bruno would do no harm lol). UGH. It's just frustrating.

Sorry I went off track----YAY to Bruno going to Obediance class! LOL Btw what can I expect from these classes?? I'm sure they are different from place to place. But roughly what can I expect?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Congrats on starting the classes, they should be lots of fun for the both of you. On the subject of your ex sisterin law, its kind of hard to make someone understand your point just in writing. Has she been around Bruno? If not that would really help your cause, once she sees how friendly/well behaved Bruno is and how responsible you are as the owner she will start to see things differently. Just by writing to her or showing her a write up in my opinion won't really do anything....sorry.

What to expect from an obedience class.....lets see what I remember. There will be lots of new buddies to play with for sure, and while some may be very friendly some may not be. But working in a group environment with lots of distractions really helps to get the puppy ready for the real world. You will probably work on your basic commands such as: sit, stay, come, and move to heeling on lead, and maybe just maybe off lead. You shouldn't have any problems....dobies are great learners as I am sure you have learned already.

Good luck and have fun!!!
Naveen

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Thats great news,the main thing is to have fun and enjoy,then you will find the OB will come naturally, every time he does good,loads of praise and a little treat and before you know it Bruno will OB champ.
As for a write up i'm sure i must have something at home(at work at the moment)will look,if i find anything i'll post it for you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thats wonderful new!!!Most important thing is to make it fun for the little guy and enjoy. Good Luck!!! I will look to see if I have any articles on dobes.GO BRUNO!!!! He'll do just fine.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! :D Bruno is very smart already (Duh all Dobes are hehe). He does the sit, heel, stay, come etc etc. But of course I'd love to get him in the OB classes so he can learn more. I'm so excited :D

As for my sil. UGH. She's seen Bruno plenty of times. When I drop her daughter off, Bruno is ALWAYS in the van. He comes everywhere with me. She's even dropped her daughter off here and seen him. Although he gave her an unfriendly welcome (she is a stranger to him) by barking and growling. However, the funny thing is. He knows her daughter well. So when they stepped inside, he went and gave my neice a kiss but still barked at her mom :/ I've invited her over to get to know Bruno. I've explained how he's protective of his family etc etc. She won't accept my offer I'm sure. Which in turn is crappy on her behalf. Because if she's THAT worried about her daughter being near my doberman, she'd come check him out herself @@ It frustrates me.

I'd apperciate any write ups or anything. I just want her to know that they aren't vicious. Maybe I need to make her a video and send it to her LOL I just hate hard headed ppl like that. They only SEE one side of a Dobe (on tv, movies, etc) and think they're all the same.

Anyway thanks again. I'm so looking forward to the Obedience. I know Bruno will LOVE it.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MrDesi said:
Here is one, I will keep adding as I find more.

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog/shop/articledobermans.aspx
Oh I like that write up!! ;) I will wait till a few more come in before I sent them off to her. I don't think she likes what I had to say to her. Because she hasn't replied back :emo8: haha But I do want her to read as much as possible and would love for her to come over to meet Bruno. Guess we'll see ;)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
While I think that write ups on the breed is fine, demostrating that Bruno is not a threat, but a well-behaved, loveable doberman is a better way. By actually seeing him being a well-behaved and non-threatening speaks volumes compared to reading about. Maybe you can include her in situations where you can show her this (ex. You and her walking Bruno or practicing OB stuff). Be creative. Almost all the people we have encountered that had that impression of the doberman really changed their mind when the see how behaved and mild-manner they are. Just a thought. Good Luck with OB training. Besure to try to involve the whole family in the training to get Bruno to listen to them too....plus its fun as a family thing too.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
LMB - here's another angle. you may not be able to change her mind as she may be using her daughter's exposure to Bruno - viscious beast that he is - as part of a custody/visitation issue in the divorce. I hope not, but just a thought.

cc

·
Registered
602 Posts
Codysmom said:
LMB - here's another angle. you may not be able to change her mind as she may be using her daughter's exposure to Bruno - viscious beast that he is - as part of a custody/visitation issue in the divorce. I hope not, but just a thought.

cc

Good eye Codysmom!!! I'm not saying that she is that kind of a person, but you never know. But having Bruno around her and demonstrating a well behaved, loveable dog will be the best remidy.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Codysmom said:

cc
Yeah, she IS that type of person. That's the problem. She's doing ALL she can to take her daughter from my brother inlaw ugh. But the thing is I DID invite her over to get use to Bruno. Seems she has NO interest what so ever in doing so. I told her to come and get use to him. But she hasn't accepted my offer. Which I doubt she will @@ That's where I get frustrated. Because I'd HATE for her to think Bruno is bad and then bring it up in court that her daughter is being exposed to a Doberman. When her daughter was terrified SO bad of dogs. When Bruno was 7 weeks she'd litterally shake when he went near her. Because her grandma and mother have got her so scared of dogs. That it took us until just a few weeks ago to get her to go near Bruno on her own and actually pet him. She's progressed so far with Bruno that it sadden's me her mom could even THINK of him this way. Ya know?

Deffinently will be uncluding the family with the training :) My husband and I are going to do it together (when he's not at work). I really can't wait.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I feel for you on this one. When I was pregnant with Jordan (we were here on Okinawa at the time), we had Storm (our apbt). My mother was incredulous that I was going to bring a baby into the house with a viscious pit bull! I laughed and explained that I wasn't going to bring the baby home and put her in Storms bowl for dinner or anything :) I sent my mother articles and stories, I sent her videos of Storm with other kids. Nothing worked. But then, my mother came for a visit and the delivery. She was with us for 2 weeks before Jordan decided to make her appearance. Within minutes of meeting Storm, my mother was in love. She tells me now what impressed her the most was my ability to "read" my dogs. I am a very preemptive person. If something has the potential (even the slightest) to go wrong, I step in. This preemptive personality thing may be why I have had the problems with Chi that I've had. I think sometimes I step in too soon.
But hopefully your SIL will take you up on your offer to visit and will have the same reaction that my mother had... My fingers are crossed for you :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey There
I am having the same problem with my dog and he's going to be 2 in May. I guess I will have to look into the whole training piece for Max just like you did for Bruno because he has scared half of my family away and I have only had him for not even a month. Mind you he has never bit anyone but he growles, lunges and bumpes people with his snout.

Thanks,
mmloda

1 - 14 of 14 Posts