Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Bruno's Limp

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Luv_my_Bruno 
#1 ·
I think I posted this already. But I can't remember.

Remember when I said Bruno might have a torn ACL and the vet was going to charge me 2500$ to fix it?

Well, I rested Bruno for a few weeks. His leg got better and he walked on it fine. I think I might have brought him out to the lake to swim a bit early tho. Because now he's doing the same thing, but to the other hind leg. It was just so hot, I felt bad for him. So I wanted him to get cool.

Anyway, what do you think it could be? Maybe just a sore muscle? How long generally do you think it would take to heal something like this? I just don't want the poor guy limping all day. I'm still trying to find a good vet in my area. Someone that knows Doberman's. I think I may have found one. Just gotta call and ask them a few questions.

Anywho. Just wanted to hear someone else's opinion.

#2 ·
It could be many things. Have xrays been taken. I'm not sure if a torn ACL would show up, but I do know it is a quite common injury for many breeds of dogs.

From my experience with Cole in regards to limping (he has a reoccuring limp in his right front leg,) Along with rest (no running at all) I give him Ascripton or Previcox for a week and then another week of rest.

I would suggest a second opinion if you doubt the first vet.

ETA If it is a torn ACL, surgery will be needed.

#3 ·
Just wondering why no medication has been prescribed for pain/inflamation(if any). Like others have said, it could be many things. Medication/xrays...etc should be taken before jumping to any conclusions. I hope you find another vet soon, wish you all the best. Please keep us posted.

Naveen

#5 ·
No the vet didn't take any xrays. She only felt his leg. Then told me she's pretty sure it was his ACL. However, I know now it was NOT that. Because that leg is totally fine. From my understanding, ACL's do not heal on their own. So I deffinently know that's not what it is now. But it has switched to his other leg now after I had taken him for a swim at the beach and a bit of a run. Which is why I was guessing it was too soon.

Oh and I don't know WHY they didn't give me anything for the pain. I'm telling you this vet office was just fishy. I dunno, just didn't seem like they knew much of anything. Which is why I want a vet that is more familiar with the breed. Instead of someone that maybe see's a dobe 2x a year if that.

#7 ·
Yeah after reading Tracy's reply I went and looked it up and read some on it. I do believe that is what it is. I will be making him an appointment here soon and get it xray'd to find out for sure.

I still don't know WHY that damn vet didn't do that or suggest it UGH. He'd already be better I'm sure. That ticks me off so much.

Thanks so much for the replies!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.