Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 14.5 week old pup has a broken upper canine tooth. She loves to chew on sticks and even rocks so I'm guessing one of them did it. I noticed today that the broken tooth is now discolored and it looks like it's decaying. She goes to the vet on Wed so I am going to ask them to check it out then but do I have good reason to worry? I've never had that happen with any of my previous Dobes.

BTW, did anyone see the Dobe on the AKC Dog Championships today? Incredible dog. It came in 4th inthe working class. Thanx for any help and thoughts.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Only thing I can say after you get the pup checked at the vet, and the vet says the puppy is not in pain and it is not abscessing, or anything awful, and he wants to put him under anesthetic to pull it out just because for $$$$$$$$$$$ and it's going to fall out anyways let nature do it.
One friend of mine did it that way no problems.
Yet another totally different scenerio it was an older dog and it was cracked down below the gum line and infected had to have it pulled for health reasons obviously. Cost them nearly a thousand dollars for one adult tooth.

Good luck, would like to hear the outcome.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tip

Hi Waiting, it's just the tip that broke off and it doesn't look like anywhere else is affected. I was thinking the tooth would fall out as it is a baby tooth but it's been 17 years since I've had a pup so I couldn't remember exactly. She doesn't seem to be in pain as she love to play tug of war and when I've touched the tooth she doesn't show that it bothers her so I'm hoping it doesn't abcess before it falls out.

Thanx again and have a great Sunday!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Actually, it's not the vet wanting money. If the tooth is dead, it MAY have a big delay in falling out, and that can affect how the permanent canine below it comes in. I've known 2 pups in the past few months that had to have their baby teeth pulled, not because the vets were money hungry, but for the sake of the permanent tooth that hadn't yet erupted.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agador

That's right, I knew it was an A name but I couldn't remember which. He was an incredible dog. Did you hear the announcers? One of them said that they were loyal dogs but don't introduce a young child to them and the other said that they are not affectionate dogs. That made me mad but then the other announcer immediately replied "I don't know but I have one that sits on my lap when I watch tv and drink beer." That was great and I just laughed.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That's right, I knew it was an A name but I couldn't remember which. He was an incredible dog. Did you hear the announcers? One of them said that they were loyal dogs but don't introduce a young child to them and the other said that they are not affectionate dogs. That made me mad but then the other announcer immediately replied "I don't know but I have one that sits on my lap when I watch tv and drink beer." That was great and I just laughed.
Actually he said while he was drinking coffee...:) The man that said that he has the dobie lay on his lap is Edd Bivin. He is a well known show judge and also a dobie owner.

·
Premium Member
14,487 Posts
Actually he said while he was drinking coffee...:) The man that said that he has the dobie lay on his lap is Edd Bivin. He is a well known show judge and also a dobie owner.
Edd Bivin's wife (also a dog show judge) is Irene Bivin and has been breeding Dobermans for years under the kennel name Dobmann. Edd definitely has Dobes around the house and I have no doubt that they sit in his lap--I've watched him invite more than one puppy up on to his lap after breed judging was over and he and Irene were waiting for groups to start.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Agador

Agador was at Quaker City this past weekend. I got a pretty good picture of him. Here it is for those who have not seen him.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tooth

Well the vet said she was cutting her canines so not to worry about the tooth. It would soon fall out. I'm releived to hear that but you know how things happen sometimes. We'll see. Her ears I'm told are doing excellent and standing real strong. She said we should only have a few more postings if that. We'll see with those also. Thanx for checking up on her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.