Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Need some other opinions to weigh in on this before I head on into the emergency vet..

Was just working with Callie- click+treating for messing with paws, ears, looking at her teeth... general stuff that she'll have to be okay with in the future, when I noticed one of her teeth looks broken?? its sticking out at an awful angle and has some blood around it. I can't think of what she would have broken it on! She had a beef knuckle earlier, but I was supervising. I never heard a yelp or saw anything abnormal.

Here's the best picture I could get of it. :(

Shes not in any pain, and ate normally earlier. I just don't know if I should bring her on in, or wait it out. We have a vet appt. anyways next Wednesday.

Attachments

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking at the picture closer.. it looks more and more broken to me. I guess I just need to know if this is emergency trip worthy, or a wait til the morning kind of accident.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
It looks like a loose tooth came out weird or the tooth is broken

If she isn't in pain and it isn't bothering her, especially since she is bound to be loosing baby teeth right now anyways, she should be fine till the morning. Check it occasionally but for the most part the more you bug her about it the more she's going to start wondering whats so interesting in her mouth. Then call first thing tomorrow and have your vet take a look.
This is all my opinion, if it really is bothering you loads it's up to you, but I see no reason she can't make it to the morning.

Reactions: longshot4me

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Oh no baby girl! D broke his tooth off on his crate but it didn't look like that. It bled some. It for the most part all that was left was the root. I think she's too young to be losing teeth and i don't think it would look like that. None of D's teeth he's lost looked like that. Definitely go to the vet tomorrow if she doesn't seem in pain.

I hope she's ok and feels better soon. Sending hugs and dober kisses.

BTW I'm amazed she stayed still for that. D would never let me get a good picture like that haha

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
ouch.

it would be a good idea to get that looked at.

looks like that puppy molar is broken and coming off with a bit of the gum too.

the gum could heal, rest of the puppy molar may come out ok and the adult one may come in allright...................... but then again it could possibly get infected and injure the incoming adult tooth.

Hugz to Callie!

wait till the morning should be OK.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Shes comfy and sleeping, ate her dinner without a peep and is drinking normally, etc. I think she can hang out til the morning, and I'll give her vet a call straight away. Fingers crossed that its a simple fix and all goes well.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW I'm amazed she stayed still for that. D would never let me get a good picture like that haha
I cheated.. she was crashed out asleep. She sleeps like the dead! I could do just about anything while she's asleep. She would have tried to eat my camera if I had tried this while she was awake, lol.

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Poor Callie girl, I'm sure since its a baby tooth, could wait till morning...if no apparent pain....xoxo from Canada.

Few years ago, Amy was in pain / Vet on call came in Sat...and $450 for the check, which didn't find anything.
- just pain meds

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I cheated.. she was crashed out asleep. She sleeps like the dead! I could do just about anything while she's asleep. She would have tried to eat my camera if I had tried this while she was awake, lol.
That explains a lot haha D is the same at night he sleeps like a rock it's crazy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Poor Callie girl, I'm sure since its a baby tooth, could wait till morning...if no apparent pain....xoxo from Canada.

Few years ago, Amy was in pain / Vet on call came in Sat...and $450 for the check, which didn't find anything.
- just pain meds
Thats what I'm worried about. Its $300 just to walk in at the E-Vet. I don't want to say that money would EVER be a cause to not treat Callie, because she's my baby- I'd never not take her in if she needed it.. but thats alot of money to be spending for just a trip there and them to say "Ah, shes fine." and maybe send me home with more rimadyl.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,294 Posts
I'm thinking all an emergency vet would do would be pain meds and antibiotics, if necessary. I don't think dental surgery or tooth extraction would be in their line of expertise.

If she's not complaining, I think you can wait til morning to see your regular vet.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bless our vet.. she really is the sweetest woman! I can't recommend Dr. Fasth enough. I've got a bad case of over-anxious new doberparent, and no matter how often I bring the kiddo in (partially torn stitch, a fall down the stairs, part of her incision reopening... all which turned out to be super minor and hardly needed to be brought in) she offers up reassurance that Callie is doing great.

That tooth is one of the first that come out, and she's not worried about it at all. We'll be a-ok :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts