Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Steven
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 7 month old male pup broke his toe. Specifically, the number two phalanx of the right rear outside toe. Its a clean break. The toe was swollen and he walked with a limp so I took him to the vet and the vet said it was a sprain and prescribed anti inflamatory and pain killer, antibotics. One week later still in pain and swollen I tried another vet and requested and x ray. No need he said, its a sprain. Just make the dog rest. Now, two weeks later a third vet agreed to do an x ray and found a clean break in the toe. He injected calcium and said to make the dog rest. I protested there should be a splint or cast or something to correct the orientation of the toe but he said no, the toe is too small and it will heal itself. After my first two vet experiences I am questioning whether or not third time really is a charm. I worry the toe may not set or there may be arthritis or lameness later. Does anyone out there have experience with broken toe and did it heal wtihout a splint or should I insist on getting the foot set in a cast or in a splint? Thanks in advance to anyone with experiecne with this issue who can give some guidance.:please:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
X-rays showed that my blue male broke a toe on his front foot jumping off of the bed. No cast or meds were given. I was told to rest him and ice the foot and he recovered just fine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had a broken toe on my little girl Reign (show prospect from the breeder)and it healed perfectly on its own .... From what I understand people get broken toes all of the time and it too goes undiagnosed but they seem to heal perfectly on their own ... My little girl Reign limped for 3-4 weeks and then it just went away and her toes look fine ... It happened just before a show I was taking my boy too ... my breeder was at the show and I showed her the broken toe and how Reign was limping and she told me it would be fine in a week or 2 and she was absolutely right.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
I broke a toe once, very painful it was! It did heal on its own.

Hope your boy's toe heals up just fine too!!!

hugz to Tank!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts