Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Broken nail

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Luv_my_Bruno 
#1 ·
Today we were training our dog, Loki, to jump(he loves it!), and when we got back to the house I noticed he was bleeding alot from his foot. He had broken his nail completely in half. He didnt even act like he was in pain, even after we ran a mile back!! We cleaned it and put the bandaid foam no hurt antiseptic on it then wrapped it up in a soft cloth. So far he hasnt really tried to chew it off, such a good boy. My question is, what should we do now? Part of the nail is still dangling, and we worry if we take the cloth off he will redamage it and bleed all over the house. We really hate to crate him when we are at work, but we feel we might have to. Any suggestions on helping the healing process?

#2 ·
ooooo ouchy
our old dog had its Dew claws...and broke one pretty bad playing ball...
I don't know what to do about the nail...but just wanted to ask if you keep up with trimming the nails...We have kept Duchess's nails real short ever since we got her as a puppy...
Hopefully someone can get advice on what to do with the nail ouchy soon ...
give Loki a kiss from me and Duchess

#5 ·
yes we always trim his nails, we use a dremel to do it and we do it ourselves. we feel he would be more traumatized if we took him to someone to do it and they restrained him. We give him lots of yummy treats and talk to him and tell him hes a good boy when we do his nails. We have been doing it since he was a baby and he is pretty used to it now, so his nails were not long when he broke it this morning.

He is taking it well though, he just ate dinner and is watching t.v. with his daddy.

#11 ·
Raven did that when she was little. She was running through the house and got her nail caught on a piece of the carpeting. the nail was hanging sideways. the vet trimed it back a long ways.. now the nail grows sidways!!
Keep a very close eye on it! A good thing for nail repair is Mega Tek Cell Rebuilder.. it is for horses and is used for coats and hoves! Work good I am told I am ordering some off the internet this week for our Blue Iris! Good luck!

#16 ·
Okay--so from reading this post. THeir nails can break pretty easy? Is there something I should always have on hand in case this happens? lol

It would be just my luck that Bruno's nail would break and bleed while I'm hom alone. I'd prolly go into freak mode. But if I knew there was something I could do. I'd feel better. So yes, my question is, should I have something ready just in case? Like this foam stuff--what is it?

Sorry to sound so dumb. Not only is Bruno my first Dobe. But he's my first doggy :)

Oh and I hope Loki's nail feels better :)

#18 ·
Luv_my_Bruno said:
Okay--so from reading this post. THeir nails can break pretty easy? Is there something I should always have on hand in case this happens? lol

It would be just my luck that Bruno's nail would break and bleed while I'm hom alone. I'd prolly go into freak mode. But if I knew there was something I could do. I'd feel better. So yes, my question is, should I have something ready just in case? Like this foam stuff--what is it?

Sorry to sound so dumb. Not only is Bruno my first Dobe. But he's my first doggy :)

Oh and I hope Loki's nail feels better :)
I don't think it hurts to keep a jar of styptic powder in the dog cabinet. It's great for minor bleeding accidents (small cut/scratch) and nice to have on hand if you nick a quick when trimming. I guess it's good for all those times you know the injury isn't that big of a deal and wish a band-aid would stick to dogs better :)

#19 ·
Oh I see. My husband clips Bruno's nails pretty regularly. There is also stuff that came with the clippers so if he bleeds. I'm guessing that's what stops it? So we already have that stuff :)

Had me worried for a second. Thought maybe I should have a few more things just in case. I don't do the blood stuff. THat's hubby's job. hehe

#20 ·
My old boy mitch broke his nail right to the paw but we can't cut his nails or touch his front paws ,took him to the vet to be put out to cut it ,but the vet thought he could do it with out anasetic 5 people later (not one growl or bear teeth ) he was put out ,they did them all while under .
wilmitch

#22 ·
Hope Loki heals up quickly!!

LMB- dog's nails don't really break easily. I'm sure Loki really torqued it the wrong way to get it to happen. As a household hint, if you should ever quick Bruno by accident when trimming, and not have anything else on hand, pressing a little packed flour to stop the seeping blood is also quite helpful :) I trim my FIL's two dogs who nails are horribly long and keep some with me just in case.

#24 ·
Lexus said:
Hope Loki heals up quickly!!

LMB- dog's nails don't really break easily. I'm sure Loki really torqued it the wrong way to get it to happen. As a household hint, if you should ever quick Bruno by accident when trimming, and not have anything else on hand, pressing a little packed flour to stop the seeping blood is also quite helpful :) I trim my FIL's two dogs who nails are horribly long and keep some with me just in case.
Oh that is GOOD to know. I think we did that once when my bird clipped her wing. My husband is a bird man. So he was quick to think. But she was bleeding so much and it was 10:30pm. So we had to call the vet to see what to do lol. But I think he used flour. I can't remember.

I'll have to pass this on to him. Since he does the clipping. I dunno if I could do it. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.