Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help, my 1yr Duke broke the cartlidge in my 6months old Candys cropped ear does anyone have any sugestions is it fixable??? :help_up_2

·
Banned
375 Posts
is the actual cartlidge broke or is it just bent down... because if it just bent you may try to have a doc retape it... i dont suggest you doing it yourself because ive seen some ears that have been taped by their owners turn out terrible... see what happens

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the info. Her cartlidge is actually broke at the base on top of her head. I thought it was just bent first so I taped it and no luck. I have always taped my dogs ears after the first time the vet does it. But I took my candy in for a check up and the vet said so sorry. But he did tell me that he also does not have the knowledge of new and upgraded proceedures. He is getting ready to retire. So I am very greatful for any info givin Thanks

·
Banned
375 Posts
Oh gosh... ummm i would say... ask another vet that works on exotic animals they maybe able to help more than I can but im not a professional here YET! so im not exactly for sure... because cartlidge will heal itself so keep taping it up....

·
Registered
460 Posts
I want to say I remember the doctor I work with talking about an implant that can be surgically put in the ears to help them stand. I don't know the details or even what the implant is called unfortunatly. When I go to work tomarrow, I can ask him for more information for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its really nice to see that not everyone is a comedian. Thanks Jessica And Eva for your iin put I will look forward to your answer.

·
Banned
375 Posts
who is a comedian... not sure what you mean by that... i hope that you didnt think that i was being a comedian... im not sure what else to say if you were thinking that

·
Registered
266 Posts
whiteandblue said:
Oh gosh... ummm i would say... ask another vet that works on exotic animals they maybe able to help more than I can but im not a professional here YET! so im not exactly for sure... because cartlidge will heal itself so keep taping it up....
why would you need an exotic vet? we're not dealing with snakes or chinchillas...

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dogs ear, :(

I would recommend another Vets opinions, perhaps thjere is a vet in a neighboring town or city that has more experience with this type of injury?

I dont think you are going to find the answer to this problem on the web, sounds like something that really needs to be seen by a proffesional.

Good luck to you.

DA

·
Registered
460 Posts
Okie well the vet who I was going to ask about this wasn't in today but he will be in tomarrow so I'll be sure to ask him then.

Not that it matters but another tech I talked to recalled reading about the implants but couldn't remember the name either. She said it was some type of impant that the tissue bonds with inside the ear flap. lol Now I know I just wasn't imaging things. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ok, I talked with the doctor and he was quite familar with what I was asking him about. It's called Biopar canine ear implant and he said it was a very easy procedure. He felt that it would work well in your case, although I'm sure the vet would want to examine the ear first. I looked it up in the Webster catalog and it's pretty inexpensive(32 dollars for a set of two implants) but I don't know what the actual surgery would cost. I guess if you're interested it's just a matter of finding a vet who will proform the surgery.

Too bad you didn't live nearby because he'd be willing to do it. :) I hope this is of some help.

·
Banned
375 Posts
because exotic vets normally do have more training in the new stuff. per say the doberman is considered an exotic animal by some... and some exotics specialize in doberman... sorry to get your feathers ruffled again elle but it seems you like attacking me and my comments and that is great hugs anway

·
Registered
266 Posts
whiteandblue said:
because exotic vets normally do have more training in the new stuff. per say the doberman is considered an exotic animal by some... and some exotics specialize in doberman... sorry to get your feathers ruffled again elle but it seems you like attacking me and my comments and that is great hugs anway
I'm not attacking you at all. I simply asked a question.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can make generalizations like "exotic vets normally do have more training in the new stuff" -- exotic vets are just like all other vets, they could have graduated 50 years ago and not remained on top of current literature or they could have graduated last year and be up to date...

The doberman is NOT considered an exotic animal. In the veterinary world, dobermans are considered "small animals" -- as are all dogs and cats.

I'll give you the fact that some veterinarians are more well versed in a paticular breed than others, and there may be exotic veterinarians who know quite a lot about dobermans (hey, maybe kim will be one of them... she certainly liked her exotics rotation!)... but in general exotic veterinarians deal with, well, exotic animals (rats, GPs, chinchillas, snakes, lizards, birds... etc), not dobermans.

·
Banned
375 Posts
okay elle im calling it quits with you... i will not respond to you anymore... im sick of you thinking you are the smartest person in this forum... hugs your pup anyway... and have a great life...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
for the record, yes, exotics vets deal with exotic animals - that includes fish, the small mammals like rats, ferrets, mice, chins, hedgies, etc, birds, lizards, amphibians, and sometimes zoo-type animals and wildlife. not dogs and cats - they are considered small animals (dogs, cats).

in terms of the ear - at 6 months, how long has he been out of the tape? you may be able to get away just taping the ear again until it stands on its own. however, if it does not stand that way you could consider the implant that jessica mentioned above. just be forewarned that there are implications there.

could you post a pic, maybe that would get you some more detailed advice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
implants

My Dobe just recently had one ear implanted due to a broken cartilage. My vet charged $150. The procedure is simple. Aftercare is the same as initial ear crop. We continued posting for 14 days and now he looks perfect and no one evens knows we had it done. You cannot show your dog if s/he has implants. It's an automatic disqualification. hope this helps in your decision. I made several phone calls to find a vet with this experience.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
does anyone else miss whiteandblue? god, that was an amusing thread - i admit, even after a rough day at work, i am cracking up reading this, at the thought that the doberman is an exotic species...

uptown, im glad your dogs ear is doing better! any before/after pics of the repair?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts