Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anybody tell me when is the best time for breeding? I have a 9 month old red dobie and I think shes in heat right now.

Thanks in advance.

Mikee:thanx:

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum :)

Secondly, I will forewarn you that this forum does not condone breeding outside of responsible practices - meaning complete health and temperament testing, conformation and/or working titling - and you will likely receive very strong opinions on this topic here. This breed is plagued with inheritable health problems, and bad reputations for temperaments so it is imperative that only responsible breeding take place.

Please read this: Before Breeding

·
Registered
508 Posts
I bought my first dobie and he is Damien, He is turning 3 on the 30th of this month, I didn't know that they are so sweet and they want to be petted all the time, I began to fall in love with dobies and then I saw a red female and sad to say that she is in need of care, she is probably 25 lbs under weight and I can't take that she is bad condition that is why I addopted her, first she is so scared so I don't know what kind of environment she's with in her previous owner but I'm hoping to get her in to shape, any advice for her full recovery...:)
You just posted this in your welcome post and now you are wanting to breed her?

Full recovery would be to spay her and let her live her life as a pet and not a breeding machine!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Breeding time is the hour and half between spay your girl-o-clock and your poor girl is waaaaaay too young to even think about it-o-clock.

I was going to say 4:51 PM, on the 12th of Never.

But I like yours better :)

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Mike, think of her situation before, that you saved her from. You don't want to repeat the cycle.
Enjoy your pets by giving them the gift of a good life by not perpetuating their situations to their puppies.
Finding GOOD homes requires skill & a 6th sense. Otherwise nice people can do awful things with dogs. Don't be "that guy".

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
or even more likely....hoping and praying it is a troll ;)

...and that this poor rescue girl is just a figment of his imagination/delusions

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
Seriously? No one thinks this is a troll?
I realize the board deals with trolls, but not everyone who comes along and asks this question is one. This is the public! This is how they think (or not think). They breed unregistered dogs with unknown backgrounds and they probably know several other people who do, too. They don't know any better or different ... yet. Could we not jump on every one of them and call them a troll?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
PUPPIES DONT HAVE PUPPIES!!!!
What the hell are U thinking?? Dont you think that girl has not had enough problems in her short life? Having puppies with her past and her age will only make her worse!
Spay her and love her that is what she'll want.
Sorry to seem angry but I am,this kind of makes me sick.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is the sad part of life, any life. Puppies are having puppies and children are having children. And unforutately is seen all too frequently.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
I have a little more time now. mikee, ideally, the best time for breeding is AFTER the dogs are fully mature, physically and mentally, AFTER they have been graded by professionals as worthy breeding animals, AFTER they have been fully health tested (for hip and elbow dysplasia, von Willebrand's disease, thyroid panel, eye defects, liver and kidney panels, cardiac ultrasound and Holter monitor ecg along with the DNA test for dilated cardiomyopathy, and brucellosis), and AFTER you've extensively studied the pedigrees of the dogs to determine if they're really the right match for one another and to learn the ages/causes of death of their ancestors so you know what kinds of problems they are carrying. Make no mistake, they ARE carrying problems. It's up to you to know what they are, and how to minimize them.

Beyond that, the best time to breed is AFTER you've fully learned what breeding is all about and what it really entails. It's much more than just knowing when to do it.

Obviously, one can cut all of those corners and do nothing listed above. But then they are classified as backyard breeders (in other words, ignorant and/or irresponsible breeders).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts