Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'd think with all of the problems BYB create, there would be more awareness and laws about breeding? And punishments? After having a pretty terrible experience dealing with a BYB, before I got Riley from a different breeder, I wanted to call someone to investigate the original BYB.

But from what I've seen and read, what I considered "horrible" wasn't bad enough to get them in trouble. They can continue doing what they are doing... ruining the breed and placing sick, ugly and mal-tempered dogs into bad families. Forcing their bitches to get pregnant over and over. Own their own studs, etc.. This particular lady was "saving" unwanted dobermans from families who would otherwise give them to the pound. Instead of maybe having a chance at a normal life with a good family after being fixed at the ASPCA, now these "saved" dobermans are suffering this bullshit.

Why don't more people care about this? Why is it still legal?

In my opinion, something more needs to be done. I've become so infuriated that I've been trying to find ways to help the situation, but I can't find anything. Is there a "movement" or something to stop BYB and puppy mills? Any way I can help?

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you ever find a solution or movement that will actually help the overall dog situation, let me know and I’ll join in.

The last thing we need is more government involvement or regulation in our lives, so scratch that off the list immediately.

An overhaul of the breed registry system might help, but when you can’t even get people to agree on the basics of what makes a breed a breed, changing the way we register dogs just ain’t gonna happen.

Massive public education might help, but again, without significant agreement on what to educate people about, how’s that going to work? For example- A breeder who completely health tests, shows and produces one litter every two years of completely healthy, beautiful Cocker Spaniels that cannot hunt, is still a bad breeder. You could shut down every puppy mill and BYB until all that was left was breeders like this, and although it might end the suffering of many poor dogs, the remaining breeders would still be ruining the breed.

Do I and others care about the plight of mistreated and abused dogs kept for mass produced or BYB breeding? Of course. But you aren’t going to solve that problem until you convince the public at large that a dog should be like any other consumer product, where performance and brand name matters.

Hell, to a significant portion of the population a dog is a dog is a dog, and the main thing to consider is just that you like the way it looks and that it is a "nice" doggie. They will spend more time, energy and money researching and purchasing a damn cell phone or computer than they do a dog.

When you find a solution, by all means let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts