Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question of breeders who don't like their puppies to go to a home with young children.

Is this an across the board rule, or is it a case by case basis? Would you consider it if the parents had previous doberman experience? I'm just wondering as eventually I will be in a position to get a puppy, but I will at that time probably have 3 children one of which will probably still be young. My kids are 9 and 4.5 now.

All of this is hypothetical currently as a puppy is probably 5 yrs down the road.

I know I can handle a puppy and kids, heck I'm a teacher handling kids is what I do every day!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have become a bit more flexible in this :) My first answer is usually no kids under 7 :) but with previous dobe experience I would continue the process. Really it comes down to the parents and how their children relate to the dogs. I met the absolute cutest little boy at the Lima shows yesterday. Boy his parents should be proud. It's when the kids are yanking and poking at my dog and the parents are oblivious or continually repeating "brian don't do that, brian, brian" that I just suggest that a dobe pup is maybe not right for them right now. I know someone else will sell them a puppy but I don't want my puppy subjected to that.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
It just depends on the family. I would require previous Doberman or other large active breed experience, and until I see the whole family interacting with puppies, I won't commit. I also have to have the right puppy for them - would not place just any puppy in a home with young kids. I also absolutely require a physically fenced yard where you can just open a door for the dog to go out..... I'm a mother myself and know how hard it can be to watch the dog with young kids - mine are teenagers now.... but been there and done that!

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
I am not a breeder but can share my experience as a mom. My husband and I met our breeder at her house 4 times without our children. Our breeder does not have kids and her dogs are never around kids so we did not want to bring our kids by uninvited. After the 4th visit with puppies - before she committed anything to us - she had us bring our girls (ages 5 & 8) by to meet the puppies. We have never owned Dobermans before but both my girls have spent their lives around large breed dogs. She saw them interact with the puppies and that did it - we were approved!

So much of it depends on how dog savvy your children are. Do they have good manners around dogs? Are they respectful? Or are they wild maniacs without a clue? At the ages your kiddos will be before puppy comes home, you shouldn't have a problem.

My breeder would not commit until she fully trusted the family was right, and she chose the pup for us. It was a wonderful experience! If you go with a reputable breeder, trust them to make the right decision.

(And as a mom, I would be an idiot to go with a non reputable breeder and bring a potentially unsound Dobe into the home.)

My 2 cents! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh trust me I'm only going to a reputable breeder one who health tests, a little longevity in the lines would be good too! I lost my girl to DCM at 7, not something I want to go through again any time soon.

My kids are not wild maniacs! If you ask our friends we are too strict with our kids! But then again I think they are not strict enough!:p

My kids are great with my parents dog Buddy, He's an older beagle. They play with him but I have taught them since they were little to have a great deal of respect for all dogs, not running up to them, and always asking owners if they can pet the dogs.

My daughter doesn't really remember Micah she was only 18 months old when Micah died. I was very impressed with Micah who would let Emma climb on her and sit with her even when she was sick. Even at 18 months my daughter new to leave Micah alone if she went to her bed, but Micah always wanted to be with my daughter.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I let kids of ALL ages ome visit and play with the puppies. I HAVE KIDS too. Ages 9 and 12. Before the visit I am sure to say the KIDS must respect the dogs because my dogs will respcet the kids and they have to be gentle with the puppies. I also have no trouble telling someone's child to put the puppy down or to help them hold a puppy right. They are MY puppies after all.
I have NEVER had an issues with puppies and young children during a visit. NOW I have had issuses with other peoples children reaking havoc on my furniture and in my home. But again I have no trouble telling them to knock it off or to get down. My children do not act like that so I am surely not going to let someones else kids act that way in my home. If I am unconfortable with how the children are acting and the lack of interest the parents are showing as their kids are acting up. It's easy no puppy for them.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Michelle... I'd just like to point out that your kids are awesome :) They were so good with Whiskey when he was a puppy that I think it is why he loves kids so much. Doesn't your son even help post your pups? I can only hope that when my husband and I have our first one they're half as respectful as your children are.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It all depends on the family. There are families that do no need to have any dog until their children are older and respectful. And very much depends on that family to listen, learn and train their kids. My grandkids have alway had a doberman but their parents know about training their kids and their dog. All that is vital.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Michelle... I'd just like to point out that your kids are awesome :) They were so good with Whiskey when he was a puppy that I think it is why he loves kids so much. Doesn't your son even help post your pups? I can only hope that when my husband and I have our first one they're half as respectful as your children are.
Awe that is so sweet of you to say. Thank you :)
And yes Jake helps post ears, whelp, clean, feed, potty, play and he shows in UKC any breed for anyone. HE LOVES the dogs. That boy will do anything he can with the dogs.

Give Whiskey a smooch from us!

Reactions: Whiskey and mythikl
1 - 9 of 9 Posts