Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys! My fiancé and I are having a hard time finding a reputable breeder here in the Northern California area. I'm actually from Chico, but am willing to drive (or fly) in order to get a healthy pup. Any help or suggestions would be so appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Hey, guys! My fiancé and I are having a hard time finding a reputable breeder here in the Northern California area. I'm actually from Chico, but am willing to drive (or fly) in order to get a healthy pup. Any help or suggestions would be so appreciated! Thanks!
There are so few breeders anywhere around Sacramento that I would recommend any more it's hard to even make a recommendation. I guess that I'd send you to Irongate--Eve and Roger Auch in Truckee, California. No web site (but I wouldn't care--some of the best websites are put up by some of the worst breeders) e-mail [email protected] Long time breeder--I've known her for years. Good health, longevity and temperaments.

Good luck in your search.

·
Big Lil pup
6,231 Posts
If you are willing to drive, I would consider Oregon and Washington breeders. Bug who just responded, has a really good knowledge of PNW Doberman breeders. Perhaps she will chime in again.

Here is a post of bug's from a few months ago:

"My last five Dobes have been from Foxfire--in general there is pretty good longevity in the Foxfire lines and also, in general, health has been good. My experience has been that my dogs have been able to do anything that I had time and energy to teach them. They all start out as show dogs (conformation) and all but one was an AKC champion--and all of them had titles in performance venues (obedience, rally, agiliy) and passed the WAE (working ability) so had ROM titles as well.

So I'd certainly recommend Michelle Santana's Foxfire dogs. But Heartwood (Juanita ***an) is breeding dogs I'd certainly consider if I were looking for one--I know her dogs and she has used Foxfire in her breeding program fairly extensively.

Also in Oregon and breeders I'd consider are Susan Lyter (Rogue River Dobermans) and Katherine Hinds (Windermere Dobermans).

In Washington I'd talk to Tammy Markey (Electron Dobermans), Cathy Ceely (Emerald Dobermans), Faye and Gary Strauss (Sherluck), Elaine Hopper Starlaine Dobermans, Mary Leahy (Wyndem Dobermans) and Kim Owen (Ravensown/KO) Dobermans.

I've known all of these breeders for years and would have no qualms about getting a puppy from one of them if I were in the market for one and they had or were breeding a litter.

Good luck..some of these breeders don't breed at all frequently and all of them have waiting lists and I think all of them are still active in showing so sometimes you don't get answers instantly. If you e-mail a couple of times and don't get a response try calling instead.

And as an afterthought--not all breeders even have web sites--so don't make that any sort of criteria of whether a breeder is good or not--some unadulterated puppy mills have lovely websites which may tell you what you want to hear but doesn't necessarily mean that they are telling the truth."

John
Portland OR

Oh, BTW, Our last three boys were also from Foxfire. Michelle is in Southern Oregon. Maybe 300-350 miles from Sacramento. Not much further than I drove from Portland to pick up mine..

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Jamie_Rose,

The earlier post of mine that John (4x4 bike) reposted still is accurate--and Chico is even closer to southern Oregon than Sacramento. Juanita ***an--Heartwood is in Talent, Oregon, Michelle Santana--Foxfire in Wolf Creek and Susan Lyter--Rogue River Dobermans in Grants Pass are all pretty easy drives. And I would recommend any of them--as well as any of the Washington breeders and a Canadian breeder (BC) Lana Ferguson--Legendale Dobermans in Comox, BC.

While all of these breeders are showline breeders the fact of the matter is that every litter bred for show has both show and pet puppies--the diference being that the pet puppies have the same excellent choice of parents who have been shown (often in both conformation and various performance venues,) have been health tested and raised to optimize the prospects of having well socialized and outgoing puppies and will be skilled at providing a puppy who will fit your household.

Thanks, STJ for digging up that earlier post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts