Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! This is my first post here, and I need help finding a breeder. I don't plan on getting a Dobie (my first one) for another two years, but I'm trying to do all the research now. I realize a lot of people have to wait upwards of six months for the right pup, so I'm trying to take the initiative now I suppose. Learn all I can on the breed, get advise, get a good relationship with a breeder. I know this breed is definitely not for everyone and it's a serious dog that needs a serious owner who can handle it and really wants it. I do really want it, so I'm covering my bases now. I did find Rich-Lie on the DPCA site and saw people talking about them here. I emailed Carolyn a list of questions and she was actually quite rude to me and didn't answer any of the questions. Maybe I was being tedious or maybe she thought I was wasting her time, but I was very disappointed. Both of my current dogs (10 year old Maltese and 6 month Shiba Inu) have come from lovely, normal people that were hobby breeders. I just don't think that's the right route for this breed considering the health and temperament concerns. I've also heard of KettleCove, but I haven't reached out to them yet. So, long post short, know of any good breeders in Massachusetts or in New England? Maybe I am doing this too early.. just trying to be smart is all. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
Thank you for doing your research! DPCA breeder referral is prob the best starting point, so glad you have gotten familiar with looking there.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I would try to find some events in your area where you can meet people and be around some Dobes! It's a great way to gain contacts and references!

If you're willing to travel some, I'd check out Sharjet Dobermans. They're not on the dpca list, prob bc they didn't renew for one reason or another. I'm really impressed by her and her dogs.

·
Snake Wrangler
466 Posts
I had a similar experience with Rich-Lie, though I have worked with one of their dogs and she was lovely. Magis Dobermans is also in Mass. Nancy Barrett was incredibly nice and helpful when I spoke with her.

Reactions: Dobe_Mom

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have 3 Dobermans from Magis. My female was the dam of the recent litter, all the puppies are placed. There are no more breedings planned for 2015 at this time. I love Jim and Nancy and they are like family to us.

Laura Jones at Caleb, mentioned above, produces beautiful dogs and is definitely someone I would consider.

Expand your search to the DPCA breeders in CT, NH, NY, NJ. We are very fortunate to have some terrific breeders in this area.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
i know a repeat Caleb owner who is friends with Laura. would consider them if i didn't already have a great relationship with my breeder (Mary Neupaver, Denmar - she's a bit far from you, as she is near Pittsburgh).

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Kettle Cove, Sharon Duval has a litter on the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts