Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
But would like to understand it better... She said she is growing fast and needs some MSM in her diet... please give me some insight of exactly what she is talking about when she says feet are a bit flat...the pup is 4.5 months old.. thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
I would not worry too much about the feet if this is going to be a pet. It is good that the breeder pointed it out - they may correct themselves, or they may stay fairly flat. It is a fault, but not a big deal for a pet. I see other faults that would keep this puppy from being show quality, but also not affect the quality of a nice pet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not worry too much about the feet if this is going to be a pet. It is good that the breeder pointed it out - they may correct themselves, or they may stay fairly flat. It is a fault, but not a big deal for a pet. I see other faults that would keep this puppy from being show quality, but also not affect the quality of a nice pet.
could you point out other faults.. i am just curious and want to learn..could one more fault be she is too refined.. not enough substance.. thank you

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
could you point out other faults.. i am just curious and want to learn..could one more fault be she is too refined.. not enough substance.. thank you
It would be impossible to really critique her from this picture, and I don't think it is ethical to post a picture of a puppy you don't yet own and ask for public opinions of their structure. I'm sure the breeder did not give you permission to post the picture of a puppy you don't yet own. It happens a lot, and I'm not going to give a critique. I gave you my opinion on the flat feet if the puppy is going to be a pet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be impossible to really critique her from this picture, and I don't think it is ethical to post a picture of a puppy you don't yet own and ask for public opinions of their structure. I'm sure the breeder did not give you permission to post the picture of a puppy you don't yet own. It happens a lot, and I'm not going to give a critique. I gave you my opinion on the flat feet if the puppy is going to be a pet.
I do own this puppy..And i was only asking since you mentioned that there were other faults.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
In dobermans you want what is commonly described as "cat feet". That is to say the feet should be tight (i.e. the toes close together and short in length as opposed to splayed with long toes) and the toes should be well arched (exactly like when you say someone's foot's arch is high - you want to see 'tall' toes for lack of a better word).
I'm attaching a picture of my (16 month old on the picture) puppy who has cat feet.

There are different supplements you can give to a growing puppy that will help tighten the feet as well as the type of surface the pup spends time walking, running and playing on. As Mary Jo said, it's not the worst fault for a pet to have though having tighter feet can help the biomechanics long term.

Plant Working animal Fawn Carnivore Grass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts